Why are food sensitivities so much more pronounced after Whole30?

melissal

My husband and I just finished a Whole50.  Our kids (18, 16 and 10) did a Whole30. I couldn't wait to have cream in my coffee.  I put a little bit in and felt ok....a little tired that afternoon.  The next morning, I was gassy and my stomach was gurgly...something I hadn't experienced during the entire Whole50.  I had more cream the second morning and felt run down the whole day.  I had a small breakout on my face and my hands itched for 4 or 5 days!  Obvioulsy, I can't do dairy.  But, what I don't understand and can't seem to find any information on is why, if I'd been eating dairy every day for nearly my whole life withoug any reaction, why am I reacting so strongly now, post Whole30?

Anyone know why this is?  Also, will I ever be able to incorporate dairy? 

Thanks!

• Moderators

Oh but you have been having reactions, but you did not notice them because you were living in a fog of minor discomfort. During the Whole30, you began to experience feeling good and anything that detracts from it is noticeable now. Also, when you are exposed chronically to irritants, your gut develops an extra thick mucosal lining to protect you. When you go for a long time without consuming irritants, some of that thickness sloughs off because it is unneeded. When you reintroduce the irritant, you do not have the same level of protection that you did before. The good news (or bad news depending on how you want to look at it) is that if you keep consuming foods that irritate your body, your body will develop protections like it did before and you will become similarly protected to the way you were before. That may leave you in a fog of minor discomfort, but it will be less noticeable than what you are experiencing now. 

• Moderators

My husband and I just finished a Whole50.  Our kids (18, 16 and 10) did a Whole30. I couldn't wait to have cream in my coffee.  I put a little bit in and felt ok....a little tired that afternoon.  The next morning, I was gassy and my stomach was gurgly...something I hadn't experienced during the entire Whole50.  I had more cream the second morning and felt run down the whole day.  I had a small breakout on my face and my hands itched for 4 or 5 days!  Obvioulsy, I can't do dairy.  But, what I don't understand and can't seem to find any information on is why, if I'd been eating dairy every day for nearly my whole life withoug any reaction, why am I reacting so strongly now, post Whole30?

Anyone know why this is?  Also, will I ever be able to incorporate dairy? 

Thanks!

This thread has some explanations that made sense to me -- especially the cat one from Riversong.  I don't know the answer to whether you'll ever be able to incorporate dairy, but I do know some people can have cheese or yogurt but not milk, or goats' milk but not cows' milk, so if there are other forms of dairy you miss, maybe try eating clean for a few days until you feel better, then introducing some of the other forms you miss to see what happens.

Oh but you have been having reactions, but you did not notice them because you were living in a fog of minor discomfort. During the Whole30, you began to experience feeling good and anything that detracts from it is noticeable now. Also, when you are exposed chronically to irritants, your gut develops an extra thick mucosal lining to protect you. When you go for a long time without consuming irritants, some of that thickness sloughs off because it is unneeded. When you reintroduce the irritant, you do not have the same level of protection that you did before. The good news (or bad news depending on how you want to look at it) is that if you keep consuming foods that irritate your body, your body will develop protections like it did before and you will become similarly protected to the way you were before. That may leave you in a fog of minor discomfort, but it will be less noticeable than what you are experiencing now. 

GREAT explanation! Thank you.  I love this:  "fog of minor discomfort".  I was definitely living in a fog of minor discomfort. 

Thanks, Shannon.  I'll check out that thread.  I think I will just leave out all kinds of dairy for now.  Maybe later I'll give it another try.  For now, I just want to get back to feeling great! 

This thread has some explanations that made sense to me -- especially the cat one from Riversong.  I don't know the answer to whether you'll ever be able to incorporate dairy, but I do know some people can have cheese or yogurt but not milk, or goats' milk but not cows' milk, so if there are other forms of dairy you miss, maybe try eating clean for a few days until you feel better, then introducing some of the other forms you miss to see what happens.

• 2 weeks later...

This explanation seems to make sense; however, I thought that the mucosal lining was what protects us from leaky gut in the first place - is this extra mucosal lining that we create when dealing with offending foods an additional one, on top of the lining that should already exist within the intestines?

Also, when you are exposed chronically to irritants, your gut develops an extra thick mucosal lining to protect you. When you go for a long time without consuming irritants, some of that thickness sloughs off because it is unneeded. When you reintroduce the irritant, you do not have the same level of protection that you did before. 

Reminds me of the whole synthetic motor oil vs. regular thing ... people say regular oil leads to built up deposits, then if you switch to synthetic it cleans out that crud that actually may have been packing some leaky areas ... so you're running better oil but now have a leak.  Others say that's an old wives tale, but it definitely keeps a lot of people in the camp of "once your car's been run on regular, keep running it on regular".

Kirkor, we must have the same mechanic.  Mine has told me the same exact thing.  He's also told me not to ever add those additives to the gas tank..they'll cause problems/leaks.   Fuel injector/motor cleaners.  If it ain't broken, leave it alone....

He's the best in the west and I trust his judgment. :D   My father uses a lil WD40 to fix everything. :lol:  I use semi-synthetic oil and mechanic told me to not to switch it up by using all synthetic oil.....he said switching the horse mid-stream after your car is a few years old will cause it to leak.  

Food sensitivites are more pronounced because of less protection.   

Archived