Lesser of 2 evils: processed almond milk or pastured cream?

sfbetht

As I get ready for reintroduction, I'm struggling with what to reintroduce to flavor my morning coffee. To be honest, I don't love coconut milk :) I know my other choices may depend on what I reintroduce and how I feel afterward, but I'm curious to get perspectives on whether you think pastured, organic half and half/cream is a better choice (despite it being dairy) than commercially processed almond milk (which may contain carageenan and other stuff I've avoided for the past month). Again - I know it may largely depend on what works for my body, but I wonder how others have approached this. I've always viewed almond milk as being more processed than I would like, but I've also felt pretty good without dairy these past weeks.

ETA: I know making my own almond milk is also an option - but likely not something I will always have time to do. 

If you tolerate dairy, I would go for that, but I'm one of those people that can't. Or, make a batch of almond milk once a month or so, and freeze it in serving sizes. It won't go off, and be there when you need it. Assuming nuts don't affect you of course

That said, Tom - what would you recommend? I understand my phrasing might have been off but I am legitimately looking for input. If neither dairy nor almond milk upset my body, I'm trying to make the best choice. I may not "need" either one, but as part of reintroduction, it's okay to want to try them, no?

Dairy (for me) has a cumulative effect and shows up after a week as eczema, plus it makes it way harder for me to lose weight.

Almond milk can make me bloated some days.

So introduce both for a week before you make any choices. Or stop drinking coffee :-)

I would advocate for raw dairy if you can find it. 

Otherwise, dairy is just not that good for you. 

Where do you live? Some health food stores are now selling pure almond milk with no additives. 

We can get it readily in Los Angeles. 

I would advocate for raw dairy if you can find it. 

Otherwise, dairy is just not that good for you. 

Where do you live? Some health food stores are now selling pure almond milk with no additives. 

We can get it readily in Los Angeles.

I live in San Francisco. I've checked out a few natural stores and haven't found any yet, but I am certain it exists here. Great idea.

For me those kinds of decisions are always based on two things.  First, how does the food physically affect me?  Second, which one do I enjoy the most?  I keep both in mind and weigh pros and cons.  In this case, the decision for me would be easy because heavy cream does not seem to affect me in a negative way like regular milk does.  Almond milk doesn't affect me in small quantities either, but I just don't like it.  Why would I even bother, then, ya know?  THe only way I would have chosen almond milk over heavy cream would have been if there were noticeable negative effects from the cream, although I would likely drink it black in that case.  I enjoy cream and use very little of it so its in.  On the other hand, I really love steamed milk but it makes me feel like garbage so it's out for good.

I would agree that this is personal context land. I know for me I tolerate dairy pretty well and I try to do full fat, low pasteurized or raw, organic, pastured when I choose to use it. If you want to introduce dairy then get the highest quality you can and try it out. I would recommend for heavy cream over half and half and try to find something that isn't ultra pasteurized. Once you see how your body handles it you can decide if it is worth it for you or not. Personally I've gotten used to black coffee and only put milk in it on occasion. 

Carageenan as an almost immediate effect on me and I avoid it as much as possible but again you can try it and see if you want. Once you are done with Whole30 you ride your own bike. For example I had a milkshake the other day even though I knew the ice cream would have carageenan in it and would upset my tummy a bit. It was delicious, I do it super infrequently, it was worth it. For some people it might not have been, but for me it was.

Archived