chewing gum

jhanna135

In the Can I have guide, second pinned message in this forum, you'll find:

Gum: No

All chewing gums contain some form of added sweeteners (including xylitol) that aren’t acceptable under Whole30 guidelines.

Tip: Chewing sends a message to your body that food is coming. If you spend a lot of time chewing, but not eating, your body is going to get quite confused in its responses. Consider brushing your teeth more frequently or chewing on mint leaves or fennel seeds as a fresh-breath alternative.

I used to be a gum addict but after my first Whole30, I chewed a piece and it did not taste the same. That sweet minty gummy taste I loved turned into a dry artificial hard flavor. It might have just been stale gum but I'm choosing to believe I'm over the addiction! Maybe it'll be the same for you!

Ok, funny embarrassing story time:

I'd recently moved to Wyoming and was out hiking with some friends in the Black Hills.

One guy points out some pine sap on a crack in a tree.

(found a representative photo online: th_DSC02453_zps0c9fe3b9.jpg) ...

Tells me Native Americans used the stuff as chewing gum back in the day.

Well heck, I'll give it a go!

Put a big ol' chunk in my mouth and start chewin' away .......... big mistake!  :lol:

It was like putting caulk in your mouth (phrasing?) --- I had to wipe it away with my shirt and even then didn't get it all.

Had pine-y taste in my mouth the rest of the day!  :wacko:

My friends of course thought it was HILARIOUS!!!

Mints are the #1 thing I miss the most in my Whole Whatever journey (I did the 30, kept on, accidently ate some breaded chicken in a salad when I was traveling and then started back over). I've tried the drops but it's just not the same. I end up brushing my teeth rather a lot. I also got some peppermint-oil infused toothpicks at WF...aside from the fact that it's not terribly ladylike or polite to be using a toothpick in public, I like them quite a bit.

• 4 weeks later...

I am about to start my first Whole30 and do a lot of driving to and from work (one hour each way) and use chewing gum alot to stay alert when I get drowsy -- what alternatives are there? I tried munching almonds and that helped as well, so maybe it's little munchies that do the trick... ?

I am about to start my first Whole30 and do a lot of driving to and from work (one hour each way) and use chewing gum alot to stay alert when I get drowsy -- what alternatives are there? I tried munching almonds and that helped as well, so maybe it's little munchies that do the trick... ?

One aspect of the Whole30 journey is to help you stop munching out of habit and to eat between meals only when you're genuinely hungry.

Perhaps an alternative for you is to bring water with you in the car, and sip water along the way?  

Archived