Memory significantly impaired since starting Whole30

I wasn't sure where to put this, so I'm hoping someone here can help.

I have always had a vividly sharp memory. As in, a nearly eidetic memory. At some point during my whole30 (I can't remember when - ha), my memory started to get drastically worse. I'm now on day 42, as I had to stretch out my reintro and still have gluten grains to go. It's gotten so bad that nearly every day I lose, say, my cell phone and it's in my pocket. Or I'll be in a meeting, something is mentioned, and immediately after the meeting I have no idea what it is. I find myself desperately writing things down, because if I don't I'll forget. Sometime I forget while I'm getting the pen and paper. Then I often forget that I wrote anything down.

I know people get "forgetful" and look for the glasses on their face, etc. What I'm saying is that I have never had any memory issues - quite the opposite - and now it's taken a very drastic downturn and is getting noticeably worse. I'm eating plenty, getting a lot of variety and plenty of fat. 

Has this happened to anyone else? 

I'm not sure, but my gut says maybe you are too low on carbs. Lots of people unintentionally go too low carb when doing the whole30. You might try adding something starchy (sweet potato, squash, beets, etc.) to each meal for a few days and see if that helps.

I am curious, what was your diet like prior to Whole 30?

This happened to my friend Karen awhile back, and I suggested more FAT.  Our brains are made up of so much fat.

Also -- how is your sleep?  I mean, not just hours, but quality.  Interrupted at all?

• 3 months later...

I want to jump off this and say I'm dealing with a similar issue.

I'm currently on day 10 and find that I'm dealing with a "fuzzy" memory. I remember things from previous days with a hazy quality, almost if I had been tipsy when they happened. Obviously I haven't drank at all. I see the suggestion for fats, and am not quite sure? I have some form of oil in everything I eat. 

And my sleep is pretty normal for what it was before. I sleep 7-9 hours and wake up at least once. 

Insight?? 

• Administrators

I want to jump off this and say I'm dealing with a similar issue.

I'm currently on day 10 and find that I'm dealing with a "fuzzy" memory. I remember things from previous days with a hazy quality, almost if I had been tipsy when they happened. Obviously I haven't drank at all. I see the suggestion for fats, and am not quite sure? I have some form of oil in everything I eat. 

And my sleep is pretty normal for what it was before. I sleep 7-9 hours and wake up at least once. 

Insight?? 

Can you post a few days of your meals (including quantities), timing, fluids, exercise and stress?  Will help us help you.  :)

I don't know why I thought I would be able to do this from memory. I tried to mentally track my food, but didn't write it down until today.

Thursday:

B: 2 hardboiled eggs

L: 2 small sweet potatoes, 1 ½ c pork roast

D: 2 small pieces chicken, 1 cup cooked veggies.

9 cups of water

½ hour walk

Friday:

B: 2 eggs, 1 handful spinach, ¼ c onions, 1 chicken sausage, cooked in 1 tbsp coconut oil

1 cup coffee

L: Forgot my lunch at home so I just had 1 banana & an orange

D: 2 small pieces of chicken thigh, cooked veggies, raw veggies & sunshine sauce

8 cups of water

½ hour walk

Saturday:

B: 2 eggs, 1 handful spinach, ¼ c onions, 1 chicken sausage, cooked in 1 tbsp coconut oil, 1 avocado, 1 orange

L: 1 avocado, 1 tomato in balsamic vinegar

D: ½ c sweet potatoes, ½ cup carrots in balsamic vinegar, 1 cup ground beef with whole 30 approved mayo (The cravings are real à I wanted a California Burger)

About 6 cups water, no exercise

I am pretty low stress right now, though I did start counseling to deal with some long term anxiety issues. However, the memory stuff is only coming up the last couple weeks and the anxiety has been prevalent for years.

I am not sure if you can see it so much, but this week I'm trying to make sure I eat more veggies than meat, and 2 servings of fruit a day, plus some sort of fat at each meal (usually in the form of moroccan sauce). Last week I ate way too much protein & fat with maybe 1 serving of veggies per meal. 

Anyway, I hope this is enough info? I can try to track each day, during the day, to hopefully make it more accurate.  

Thanks for any insight you guys have to offer. :)

Edit:
Oh, and I've been taking 2-3 probiotics a day, which is also new. 

you aren't eating enough. You aren't eating enough protein, or fat or vegetables consistently, and that can lead to major fuzzy brain for sure. Don't worry about fruit. 2 pieces is a maximum recommendation, not a minimum; eat more protein and veggies and fat instead.

Take a look at the meal template. Have at least that much food AT EVERY MEAL. It isn't a good idea to skip meals and have two pieces of fruit instead or to just have avocado and tomato without protein for lunch or just hard boiled eggs without veggies at breakfast. Plan things in advance so you can get the nutrition you need when you need it.

you aren't eating enough. You aren't eating enough protein, or fat or vegetables consistently, and that can lead to major fuzzy brain for sure. Don't worry about fruit. 2 pieces is a maximum recommendation, not a minimum; eat more protein and veggies and fat instead.

Take a look at the meal template. Have at least that much food AT EVERY MEAL. It isn't a good idea to skip meals and have two pieces of fruit instead or to just have avocado and tomato without protein for lunch or just hard boiled eggs without veggies at breakfast. Plan things in advance so you can get the nutrition you need when you need it.

So my question with this: what if I'm just really not that hungry? I used this meal plan and I prep it all on the weekends, so I have more than enough food available to me, I just don't find myself to be that hungry. 

But yes, I will try to follow this meal template this week and then report back next week if I'm still having issues. 

• Administrators

So my question with this: what if I'm just really not that hungry? I used this meal plan and I prep it all on the weekends, so I have more than enough food available to me, I just don't find myself to be that hungry. 

But yes, I will try to follow this meal template this week and then report back next week if I'm still having issues.

Hi Chloechelsa, often we find people aren't getting the right signals from their body at the beginning, that lack of notable hunger is one of them. The whole30 helps to balance your hormones so you really do need to eat three times a day. Check the template that Miss Mary linked to. For now, until your body is sending relevant and accurate signals, just know that humans need to eat three times a day in reasonable quantities and there are very few exceptions.

If you truly cannot finish a template meal despite giving it an honest try, pack up the leftovers and take them with you during your day and eat from it as soon as you feel able. This will help train your body that food is not scarce and that sending hunger signals is not a wasted effort.

Many times when people are consuming way too little food, the body gives up the effort of sending signals because it knows it's not getting anything anyway. Eat food. Nourish the beautiful woman you are. There is no virtue in food, only nourishment.

Archived