Why some allergies but not others?

kirkor

Kinda random musings, but I'm wondering what is it about certain things being more allergenic.

You hear about people being allergic to tree nuts but not other nuts ... or peanuts but not other nuts.

Is anyone allergic to almonds?

You hear about over-consumption creating food sensitivities and/or allergies, particularly with dairy and eggs.

People are allergic to modern gluten ... is anyone allergic to white rice?

Is anyone ever allergic to meat? Eggs are kinda like meat ... can people become allergic to the egg's mama?

This point is why I love Whole30.  It's an education, not a diet. I also loved Melissa's post and why she didn't want to post what she ate (she wants people to figure out what what works for them and didn't want people to just copy her.) (http://whole30.com/2014/05/dear-melissa-eat-part-1/)

The point is to find out what foods affect you and how.  Eliminating the possibly allergenic and inflammatory foods and then following with a reintroduction will educate you on what food does to you.  Whole30 is empowering. :)

PS - Peanuts are legumes, not nuts. ;)

I'm allergic to peanuts, pecans, and walnuts, so I don't eat ANY nut (not even almonds) because there is such contamination issue. I have a friend who not only has the nut allergy but is also allergic to all legumes, soy, melon, and fish. I tried to get her to do a whole 30 with me but she refused to give up alcohol - she said it's the one thing she's not allergic to! :D

Hi, I am allergic to many things: lamb, all nuts, plums, tomatoes, all melons (water, honey etc), perhaps eggs and chicken, possibly sugar, most fruits, etc. While preparing food, I need to wear cloves, otherwise my hands would itch and I need take some antihistaminicum. So what do I have left to eat: kale and cabbage, boiled potatoes, pork, and some other super safe foods. Most processed (I mean boiled, dried, conserved, fried etc) are ok, but I surely want to eat fresh vegetables also.  

To be honest I have no idea anymore, what can I eat and what I shouldn't eat. Doctors say that my tests are clean, but I know that my hands are scratched to blood sometimes. So what might be the solution to me? 

When I was a baby my mother feed me with very limited foods, so surely I was not the fat kid, but her motherhood was hard and difficult. All the explanation to grandparents and the kindergarden teachers. She gave up the kindergarden, and stayed home until I was 11, then she felt I guess, that I am able to choose my own food.

Anyway, I guess even doctors have slight idea about all the IgG and IgE antibodies responsible to the reaction to antigenes. 

Very allergic to peanuts and have been since I was a child. After a bout with accute pancreatitis I developed allergies to wheat, gluten, walnuts, eggs due to the damage to the intestines. I can eat almonds, thank goodness, but I fear I will develop an allergy to them as I eat a lot, and that would be terrible.

Allergies are odd, the wheat one had me very depressed as I was an avid and really great baker. I can no longer bake as just the dust from flour has me sneezing and stuffed up for hours...just not worth it, so when hubby needs his bran muffins he has to mix them outside.

One thing I will still make are the holiday cinnamon buns, it's a tradition even though I can't indulge. I wear a full dust mask and take allergy pils before hand....

Wheat free, gluten free is very easy for me now and I love it and feel so much better. It took years to discover why I was so sick...

When you develop an allergy you develop antibodies to certain protein fragments in that thing you are allergic too. Those protein fragments are called allergens. When you are allergic to for example hazelnuts, the allergen you react against is likely present also in other treenuts, so you are likely to react to those as well. You can also have this type of cross reaction between protein sequences/allergens that are not as closely related. For example it is quite common to be allergic to birch pollen, and have a cross reaction to apples. Your body makes antibodies against birch pollen, but the antibodies also recognize a sequence in the apple, and causes the allergy to cross over to apples as well. The same goes for avocado-banana and many other combinations.

You can certainly become allergic to meat. Especially with red meat, it contains a specific sugarmolecule called alpha-gal. Normally we don't react to that. But a tick bite can cause an activation of antibodies against alpha-gal, so that you suddenly start to get severe allergic reactions from red meat although it didn't bother you earlier. This acctually happened to a friend of mine. She is fine eating the egg's mama though. :)

Archived