I really have to start over because of Alka Seltzer?

AR3825

I did not think to do a search on over the counter medicines for colds? I knew I couldn't do my Airborne's any more because that's a supplement. Okay, cool. No problem. I teach public school. Strep and Bronchitis have been going around pretty bad. My throat is killing me. I took some Alka Seltzer. I only started checking on this because I started having weird cravings. I found out the cravings are normal. Okay good, but they put sugar in OTC COLD MEDICINE? I'm more or less mad that I potentially have to start over from day one because my throat is killing me and I'm on Day 20 and there is sugar in my Alka Seltzer... I ONLY have 10 more days. Seriously?

I'm new to Whole30, so this is just my (probably misinformed) opinion, but I don't look at Whole30 as an "all or nothing" thing.  Sure, I'm sticking to the Whole30 thing as closely as I can, but, for example, I had a horrible migraine for about 36 hrs.  Didn't eat anything OFF plan...didn't eat much of anything at all, in fact,  So certainly not following the meal template.  I'm taking Vitamin D...I found the one that said no gluten, no sugar, no dairy, etc...but if there's something small in there that's non-compliant, I'm not going to worry and obsess about it.

Whole30 is about becoming healthier...I take that to mean healthier in body AND mind.  If I'm going to beat myself up over some mistake that I didn't even intend and I was doing my best, that's not healthy. 

In your case, I'd say "oops," finish my last 10 days and not worry about.  I plan to do another Whole30 early next year and I know, for me, if I had to start this one over, I might be inclined to say "screw it" and stop completely.  So better to finish the first one as well as you possibly can, expecting that as a newbie, maybe some mistakes will be made.  And then when you do another, you'll know more and will be able to avoid that particular mistake.

Ah, see, now I just found out I've been making a mistake.  I didn't read the label of my lemon juice clearly enough (can't see it without my reading glasses).  It has sulfite in it and I used it for my homemade mayo.  But here's my rationale...the mayo contains a tablespoon or 2 of lemon juice and I've only had some of the mayo (and will discard the rest).  That, compared to the HUGE changes I've made (no added sugar and I'm a sweet tea addict, no dairy, no gluten/wheat/cereal, etc), is minor.  I won't repeat the mistake, but I also won't "make" myself re-start this Whole30 for it.

I did not think to do a search on over the counter medicines for colds? I knew I couldn't do my Airborne's any more because that's a supplement. Okay, cool. No problem. I teach public school. Strep and Bronchitis have been going around pretty bad. My throat is killing me. I took some Alka Seltzer. I only started checking on this because I started having weird cravings. I found out the cravings are normal. Okay good, but they put sugar in OTC COLD MEDICINE? I'm more or less mad that I potentially have to start over from day one because my throat is killing me and I'm on Day 20 and there is sugar in my Alka Seltzer... I ONLY have 10 more days. Seriously?

You can't let strep throat go...I hope you don't have it.  If you run a fever over 101, can't swallow, you gotta see the Doc.

I read the article and I see a big distinction between *choosing* to go off plan for some reason (that birthday, a dinner out, just wanting "one" of something) and doing everything you can to stay Whole30 compliant. 

Admittedly, I'm a bit cranky today, but I don't see Whole30 as the "magical reset button" that will change everything about your life in 30 days (and I don't think it's intended that way either!).  It's a process, and for some, depending on where they started, Whole30 can be an astronomical change....and that in and of itself is a really big step.

So, back to my lemon juice. ;)  Once I found out it had sulphites in it, I haven't had any more of it.  Mayo is being remade with fresh lemons.  Now, maybe that bit of sulphite will interrupt my "Whole30 reset" in terms of allergies and sensitivities.  Even if it does, I know I've eaten more healthily in the last 17 days than I have in quite some time. I'm seeing some positive results...so what if it's not the absolute perfect outcome?  It's an improvement.

My first W30 I changed everything to be 100% compliant.  I take an iron supplement that has sugar as one of the ingredients as well as my krill oil gels which had some sugar in it.  I was very successful on my first W30 losing 22 lbs.  I am currently on day 23 of my 2nd W30 and decided to not make the changes I just referenced (mainly due to the cost of said changes).  I haven't noticed any cravings and I definitely can feel that I've lost weight again.  I think the concept is more about making a purposeful decision to eliminate those added sugars because they could potentially cause cravings.  I didn't really have any sugar cravings during my first W30 and haven't had any this time either.  Don't sweat this issue, just don't take the medicine again and be more of a label reader.  It will all be okay in the end.

• 3 years later...

The Whole30 really appeals to me. I have to confess, though, the extreme (and I mean extreme) vigilance to complying seems so extreme. I've read most of the material (book and online), feel I mostly 'get' what it's about, why so strict, and what the goals are. But when I got to glycerin in a supplement, I started having trouble. So, I'm still chewing (pun intended) all this over. I'm on day R1D2, but have been taking a vitamin C in hopes of avoiding hubbies cold, so I probably need to look at the ingredients and will probably be starting over. All because of a vitamin C. And yeah, I'm only on day 2, but I spent so much time and energy preparing and building up to this that I feel just a wee bit deflated now. Oh well...onward and upward... :-)  

• Moderators
4 hours ago, Mollferg said:

The Whole30 really appeals to me. I have to confess, though, the extreme (and I mean extreme) vigilance to complying seems so extreme. I've read most of the material (book and online), feel I mostly 'get' what it's about, why so strict, and what the goals are. But when I got to glycerin in a supplement, I started having trouble. So, I'm still chewing (pun intended) all this over. I'm on day R1D2, but have been taking a vitamin C in hopes of avoiding hubbies cold, so I probably need to look at the ingredients and will probably be starting over. All because of a vitamin C. And yeah, I'm only on day 2, but I spent so much time and energy preparing and building up to this that I feel just a wee bit deflated now. Oh well...onward and upward... :-)  

The strict rules are for 30 days only, not a lifetime :)  That said, we know you're not eating Vitamin C to get a sugar buzz but part of the program is to teach how much sugar is in EVERYTHING that we consume and we can't write rules that say 'sugar not in this but in this is okay'... it's very black and white for a reason and that black and whiteness also means that you're not using willpower to decide... if the label says sugar, then it's out, no decision necessary.

In your case, how about a whole 32?  By the time you get to day 30, 2 more days will be a walk in the park :)

Archived