Anyone planning to jump in on January 1st? Join me!!

politicalmama

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good morning here folks!

M1 - BPC, boiled eggs and 2 celery sticks ;-)

M2 - Salmon, cucumber and ghee

M3- Grilled Seabasss - Cauliflower rice

I was a little hungry last night when I went to bed, but I drank a lot of water and it worked ok

Let's Rock this. Day 2 = succes :-)

Have a great day everybody

Good morning here folks!

M1 - BPC, boiled eggs and 2 celery sticks ;-)

M2 - Salmon, cucumber and ghee

M3- Grilled Seabasss - Cauliflower rice

I was a little hungry last night when I went to bed, but I drank a lot of water and it worked ok

Keep increasing the veggies, NannyD - the recommendation is 1-3 cups per meal. There's no reason to feel hungry on a Whole30.  :)

Hi All

I started on January 1st 2015....so it's now day 6 and it's going pretty well. I've stuck with it and not had any terrible cravings or withdrawal symptoms as of yet. Though the first weekend without my beloved red wine was a challenge!!! I've had 2 attempts at W30 before - May 2014 I got to day 18 and Sept 2014 I got to day 10. This time I am determined to do the whole 30 days!!!! My husband is supporting me by not drinking alcohol for January and having whole30 dinners (and weekend breakfasts/lunches)....he is up about an hour earlier than me on weekday mornings for work so his breakfasts and packed lunches are his own business!!!

I'm a 42 year old mum to two primary school children aged 5 & 7. I'm 5'5" and my weight on 1st Jan was 181 lbs which put me at a BMI of 30 (ie, just into the obese category). I'm pretty fit - I run and kickbox - and I had a health check a few months ago which confirmed that my BP, HR, Cholesterol & Blood Glucose are all in the very healthy category....but my waist measurement (36") and weight could put me at risk of various metabolic diseases. So, I'm doing this mainly to kick-start weight loss and to prevent future illness risk. I'm also hoping to improve my fitness, particularly running speed/endurance. I suffer from depression and anxiety so this is another area where I'm hoping for improvement. I'd like to get off my SSRIs after taking them for 5 years. I want to be in control of my body, mind & emotions.

Good Luck everyone!

Maria

My husband is supporting me by not drinking alcohol for January and having whole30 dinners (and weekend breakfasts/lunches)....he is up about an hour earlier than me on weekday mornings for work so his breakfasts and packed lunches are his own business!!!

My hubby does that too but he doesn't realise it ;) I've started packing him a whole30 lunch too when I make mine

Unnnngh I feel like I got hit by a truck.  :)

I don't think it's the Whole30 (at least, not entirely); my little one has been having some serious sleep issues the past couple of days.  Really bad gas, I think.  I'm mostly formula feeding now, but we still breastfeed at night (I don't know how much she gets, it's mostly for comfort though she is getting a little).  I'd blame her gassiness on the change in my diet, but I don't think she's getting enough from me to impact her one way or the other.  Anyhoo, we had a rough night. 

I feel bloated and gross.  Definitely need to drink more water.  Food is actually going fine, with no cravings or anything (I have a passing desire for a Diet Coke when I'm thirsty, but water/tea takes care of it).  I think I ate too much fruit yesterday (I had two apples, one each with lunch and dinner, plus a handful of coconut flakes while cooking) so I need to get the snacking under control.  Ah well.

Happy Day __!  (6 for me, but YMMV!)

Keep increasing the veggies, NannyD - the recommendation is 1-3 cups per meal. There's no reason to feel hungry on a Whole30.  :)

NannyD's in the Keto Klub  :ph34r:

But yes, for everyone reading:

Eat_Your_Vegetables.gif

(that gif is s'posed to be animated...hmm, well it's funny, trust me :))

It hit me on day 3.5. In the morning I was full of energy packing away Christmas and doing errands. Totally deflated in the afternoon. Sore throat starting. I got a LOT of sleep, drank water and decaf tea through the day and 2 aspirins on Saturday night. Feeling better today, just not totally well. I sing and am hoping for full recovery by Wednesday night. Hope you shake your sore throat quickly. Have any Vitamin C to take?

Best wishes!

Mary

Hi Mary and SailorLawrence --  Kelly2015's suggestion of ginger tea is a great remedy! I just boil some cut up ginger in a pot of water for 15 mins. Great tummy tamer as well.  I also drink hot lemon tea - it's a little tart without sweetener, but still really good. Lots of chicken broth and bone broth too. :) Feel better!

Real quick check-in - cravings are creeping in today. I want chocolate. Going to make that chocolate chili. Also craving sweets. Must stay away from those dates. 

And my tea - waaaaa i want my tea! Rooiboos chai with stevia and milk. Waah ahh ahh ahh

ok chill i can still have cozy yummy tea. there's this awesome tummy tamer tea with peppermint and ginger and no sweetener. thank you, tummy tamer.

Day 6 is going great...my only real goof up was not checking in here each day. I know I need the support and ideas from people who really understand the program. This is my first time trying the Whole 30. I have been struggling with my weight for awhile but have always been somewhat active (2 kids and three dogs will do that :) ) Unfortunately for the last few months I have been dealing with severe plantar fasciitis and just feeling overly run down. After seeing the Dr. they suspect I have fibromyalgia (I have to admit I kind of always thought they said that when they didn't know what was wrong) So I started the Whole30 in hopes of losing some weight to help my feet and also cutting out foods that might be making me feel worse. It hasn't been too hard yet, I had one minor slip up on Sun. but didn't let it be an excuse to go off plan the whole day.

Looking forweard to seeing some changes over the next month.

Hi all-

I've been stalking this thread since I also started on Jan. 1, but figured it would be more fun to join in.  This is my first official Whole30, altho I did go on a meat-and-veggies-only bender about 6 years ago and got into my best shape ever.  Don't remember how long I stuck with it but it ended when the family reunion went to France.  No way I was going to be carb-free alcohol-free there!   My diet has been going downhill ever since.  My favorite meal is wine, cheese, almonds and dark chocolate.  I also ate a spinach salad with walnuts everyday for the longest time.  I finally learned that all those things are high in histamines.  Maybe that's why my asthma was getting worse?!  Then I got dairy goats and tried the raw milk cure which seemed to help, but eventually I just ended up bloated and fat and wheezier than ever.

So, back to eating what's good for me rather than what I crave.  The headaches started before Jan. 1 when I started cutting back on the junk in preparation for the W30.  They're finally gone today - yay!  Can't tell if I'm any crabbier than usual - probably slightly less so.  My brain is now going going going but my body would rather sit.  Hope that changes soon.

bronnyd - I'm having my first cravings today, too.  The bone broth seems to be helping with that. 

Keep up the great work everybody!

OK, so I have a confession....I hate salad leaves! Thinking about sitting down to a bowl of garden harvest just makes me gag!

So, my compromise is to include huge handfuls of baby spinach (tasteless) to a variety of dishes ie: wilting it in a stove top or oven dish, OR by adding it to a smoothie. Yesterday and today I had a smoothie made from coconut cream, coconut water, frozen banana, cacao powder & heaps of baby spinach.

I know that smoothies aren't all that Whole30 compliant, but like stravajunkie, at least the food I'm eating is compliant and the occasional non-compliant way of eating surely won't throught the program off balance?!

Must find a way to include more vegies....I do love kale chips when they are freshly baked (they tend to go soggy after a day), so might whip up a batch of those.

Happy Day 7 everyone - Leanne xx

OK, so I have a confession....I hate salad leaves! Thinking about sitting down to a bowl of garden harvest just makes me gag!

So, my compromise is to include huge handfuls of baby spinach (tasteless) to a variety of dishes ie: wilting it in a stove top or oven dish, OR by adding it to a smoothie. Yesterday and today I had a smoothie made from coconut cream, coconut water, frozen banana, cacao powder & heaps of baby spinach.

I know that smoothies aren't all that Whole30 compliant, but like stravajunkie, at least the food I'm eating is compliant and the occasional non-compliant way of eating surely won't throught the program off balance?

To clarify, smoothies are discouraged since the idea is to chew your food, not drink it, as chewing is more satiating. Coconut water is advised only for rehydrating after endurance athletics or the like.

Wilt that spinach! ;-)

Hey Chris, thanks for the feedback! Yep, I know all those things and will persevere in the right direction. Hey, who says I'm not an endurance athlete?! LOL, of course I'm not....will refrain from coconut water. :(

I have to say also that I'm SO satiated that I'm not even all that hungry when it comes to meal times. I have to force myself to eat breakfast. I suppose that's a good thing as it's stopped my snacking habbit knowing that when I eat my 3 fulfilling meals I won't need to eat in-between!

I'm very excited about how my mindset has changed in just a short space of time. I'm also very excited that I haven't had a glass of wine in 7 days (which prior to this would have been impossible)! :rolleyes:

Has anyone had any adverse reactions to making bone broth?  I made up a batch using the leftover turkey and chicken carcasses from Christmas and it was DELICIOUS.  It's now in the freezer in small batches so I can use it when I need it.

Today I started making two pots - one using beef bones (a mix of different types of bones from the butcher) and another using pork bones (leftover ham bone from Christmas with a few new bones thrown in).

I am making it at my parents house as they're in desperate need of healing bone broth, and are both REFUSING to even consider swapping out their high wheat/grain/sugar diet with a more natural diet like the W30.  So I thought making them some bone broth could help a little bit.  My mum started feeling sick almost immediately after the pots when on the stove, and ended up vomiting as she said the pork broth was making her feel so sick.  Sadly I've had to throw it away as she couldn't cope with it in the house.  :(

So I wanted to know if the smell of bone broth has had such a strong effect on anyone else?  I don't find the smell repulsive at all - I love it as I know how good it is for me.

Today is Day 6 and I have reflected on how far I have come.  Before I did my first W30  September 2014 I had worked on my eating habits for a long time.  Talk about out of control.  I are everything from 3-5 candy bars a day, not including cupcakes, hot fudge sundaes and more ON A DAILY BASIS.  What's crazy is I never got fat.  I was pretty active but way out of control. Several years back I worked with a nutritionist for over a year every week.  I was honest about what I wasn't going to give up but made the choice about adding in more whole foods and changing a few things.  I came to the point where I made these massive changes that had such a great effect on my body and mood.  I was doing all the good things for myself but it took TWO YEARS of doing it before I FELT RIGHT ABOUT IT.

I had such crappy habits that I was resistant to feeling good about the changes I made.  I still like my sweets but I don't have that same push to eat it (emotional eating anyone? So last year before I found out about Whole30 I had done a 10 day detox food plan.  Very similar to whole 30 and I got info from friends so second hand and incomplete.  However it did an amazing thing for my body.  So when my sister came home talking about all these people on her job doing Whole30 we checked it out and hopped on board.  If I  hadn't done that 10 day detox I would have hated doing W30.  Instead it was so easy for me I couldn't believe it.  I realized it was how I eat anyway but what had crept back in was snacking on too much sugar or sugar/sneaky foods.  I saw myself as though I was looking at a movie.  There were times in the day I'd reach for chips or candy and really didn't want it (there was none around) and finally took a look at why I was reaching for it.  W30 reminded me of who I was and how I had come to love the foods I eat and surprisingly they were all good foods.  I didn't do it to lose weight I didn't want to pressure myself I knew I would because of what I was eating.  

This 2nd go around with W30 is showing me how far I really have come.  I enjoy seeing all of your posts, your triumphs and struggles and salute you all.  I didn't have any of that kind of consciousness.  I am happy where I am.  The only thing that was hard for me was day 2 and 3 where my body detoxed all the sugar and alcohol (don't drink much at all and haven't for years) I allowed myself to have since Halloween.  Because of W30 helping me change and tap into what I really like to eat; protein, veggies and fruit in small amounts I appreciate eating so much more.  This is the closest eating plan to how I love to eat I've ever found.  I am looking forward to seeing what else will change for me.

My big AHA is after my first W30 my metabolism changed.  Even eating something sweet every day from Halloween up to New Years Eve and having alcohol every now and then I had only gained ONE POUND.   That never happened in my life even when I was active and an athlete.  Now getting ready to turn 65 and yes that is a recent picture of me everything is changing that "experts say can't".  So keep rockin' it out ladies.  We are doing great.  Big hugs, lots of love and continued support for you all and thank you for yours.

Has anyone had any adverse reactions to making bone broth?  

So I thought making them some bone broth could help a little bit.  My mum started feeling sick almost immediately after the pots when on the stove, and ended up vomiting as she said the pork broth was making her feel so sick.  Sadly I've had to throw it away as she couldn't cope with it in the house.  :(

So I wanted to know if the smell of bone broth has had such a strong effect on anyone else?  I don't find the smell repulsive at all - I love it as I know how good it is for me.

Hi WholeFoodAussie.

I guess some smells can make people ill even before they taste something. Pork tends to have quite a strong aroma when cooking so maybe just stick to beef & chicken?

Sarah Wilson from I Quit Sugar, loves to do a good Chicken Stock and freeze in ice-cube trays. She convinced me to try eating the cartlidge from the chicken carcass afterwards. It was one of the best things I've tasted and all very nutritious!!!

Argh, I'm feeling quite tired today, after being bouncing off the walls yesterday. I've arranged to go running with a friend tonight so I'm going to be careful with pre and post-workout snacks to make sure I am powering myself properly.

Today is Day 6 and I have reflected on how far I have come.  Before I did my first W30  September 2014 I had worked on my eating habits for a long time.  Talk about out of control.  I are everything from 3-5 candy bars a day, not including cupcakes, hot fudge sundaes and more ON A DAILY BASIS.  What's crazy is I never got fat.  I was pretty active but way out of control. Several years back I worked with a nutritionist for over a year every week.  I was honest about what I wasn't going to give up but made the choice about adding in more whole foods and changing a few things.  I came to the point where I made these massive changes that had such a great effect on my body and mood.  I was doing all the good things for myself but it took TWO YEARS of doing it before I FELT RIGHT ABOUT IT.

I had such crappy habits that I was resistant to feeling good about the changes I made.  I still like my sweets but I don't have that same push to eat it (emotional eating anyone? So last year before I found out about Whole30 I had done a 10 day detox food plan.  Very similar to whole 30 and I got info from friends so second hand and incomplete.  However it did an amazing thing for my body.  So when my sister came home talking about all these people on her job doing Whole30 we checked it out and hopped on board.  If I  hadn't done that 10 day detox I would have hated doing W30.  Instead it was so easy for me I couldn't believe it.  I realized it was how I eat anyway but what had crept back in was snacking on too much sugar or sugar/sneaky foods.  I saw myself as though I was looking at a movie.  There were times in the day I'd reach for chips or candy and really didn't want it (there was none around) and finally took a look at why I was reaching for it.  W30 reminded me of who I was and how I had come to love the foods I eat and surprisingly they were all good foods.  I didn't do it to lose weight I didn't want to pressure myself I knew I would because of what I was eating.  

This 2nd go around with W30 is showing me how far I really have come.  I enjoy seeing all of your posts, your triumphs and struggles and salute you all.  I didn't have any of that kind of consciousness.  I am happy where I am.  The only thing that was hard for me was day 2 and 3 where my body detoxed all the sugar and alcohol (don't drink much at all and haven't for years) I allowed myself to have since Halloween.  Because of W30 helping me change and tap into what I really like to eat; protein, veggies and fruit in small amounts I appreciate eating so much more.  This is the closest eating plan to how I love to eat I've ever found.  I am looking forward to seeing what else will change for me.

My big AHA is after my first W30 my metabolism changed.  Even eating something sweet every day from Halloween up to New Years Eve and having alcohol every now and then I had only gained ONE POUND.   That never happened in my life even when I was active and an athlete.  Now getting ready to turn 65 and yes that is a recent picture of me everything is changing that "experts say can't".  So keep rockin' it out ladies.  We are doing great.  Big hugs, lots of love and continued support for you all and thank you for yours.

Hi Alphie YAH emotional eating big time. Not binging really, but graaazzzing.

Thank you for your story!! It's is very encouraging esp since today I've been ravenous all day, craving my sugar and stevia and a little grumpy I can't have any. Going to make some bone broth and slurp that up tomorrow.

You keep rockin' too!! 

I just finished day 6 and want to know if I'm one the right track as far as what im eating. For breakfast I had 1/3 of a (casserole made with 1/2 lbs ground turkey 1 bell pepper 2 green onions large hand full of kell and 8 eggs) 1 banana with almond butter and coconut chips.

Lunch homemade spicy chicken salad using homemade mayo and 1/2 medium tomato.

dinner beef stir fry with broccoli cauliflower carrots onion and bell pepper to drink through today 1 liter water 1 medium coffee with coconut milk. on most days I have a piece of fruit and almond butter with ever meal is this to much

Day 6. Very lazy day, just couldn't motivate myself to do anything.

M1 eggs, sweet potatoes and spinach. M2 chicken and lettuce salad w/ balsamic vinegar. M3 Burrito bowls. Burrito bowls are very good, but very hard to watch my husband and daughter smother theirs with sour cream and cheddar cheese and eating chips. Oh and I also had an avocado, wish I would of picked up two. Who knew my daughter was going to love it.

I'm proud of myself for turning down a diet coke.

Have a great night.

leaC - You don't have to have salad, lots of other veggies :) After years and years of salad, sometimes I really can't look at another one. But I love zucchini, capsicum, root veggies. So many ways to prepare them that are not salads ;)

WholeFoodAussie - Some people have very strong reactions to pork, or just smells in general. Sometimes people also have an emotional reaction to eating healthier, or seeing others do it. Don't let them discourage you if you feel it's in that area (it may not be, but if you find it's a repeating theme, save your energy).

Amber - How many eggs can you hold in one hand?

Archived