KETwhOle30

kirkor

MeadowLily, are you saying a Native American relative chose that song? Really? My kids don't even use the word Indian. Unless we are talking about folks from India, of course. ;) We had a lengthy discussion in the car about the baseball teams not so long ago. WE are offended by the names of some of the teams... I cannot imagine how your families feel. In this day and age, I find it to be baffling and downright ridiculous that it is allowed.

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi All!

Looks like Meadolilly, Brewer5 and Kirkor are active on this forum. I want to do a keto Whole30 starting today, however I'd like to keep experimenting with dairy. Is that cool since this is keto? I read Kirkor's first posts with links and on into the thread a bit and it looks like dairy might not be an option, but thought I'd ask.

Also Is this the best forum for keto or is there a more recent one? 

Thanks and hope all are doing well! I'm definitely benefiting from keto Whole30ish eating with just a small amount of dry curd cottage cheese and parm cheese at present.  

bronny, if you are consuming ANY dairy other than ghee, it's not a Whole 30. You can do whatever you wish, as far as keto experiments go, you just aren't doing the Whole 30 program if dairy is a part of it.

Keto is something that kirkor and I have researched quite a bit, and we both just happened to decide to do a keto version of a Whole 30 last month. I think we are both riding our own bikes now, but the discussion will be ongoing as there is much to learn. Feel free to continue to post questions here. To my knowledge, there is no one else supporting a ketogenic diet here besides us. So if that is your interest, this is the place to be. :)

Thank you, Brewer5!

I really find forums on Whole30 to be very helpful - so am thinking of keeping training wheels on with regular visits and not doing Whole30 in March but still on fence about that. Am eating such a small amount of dairy and have removed yogurt for time being because I eat too much of it. My doc says that dry curd cottage cheese and a small amount of parm cheese could benefit my gut. 

I wonder if it's kosher to do another Whole30 and just not report the dairy? 

A Whole 30 is officially 30 days.   Anything after 30 days  - it's up to you, your call.    If you add dairy, it's not a Whole 30 so it wouldn't count as far as the official program goes.  You would be technically riding your own bike with dairy.

As Brewer said, Keto is not officially Whole 30 either.   They're riding their bikes in keto.   

A Whole 30 is not 365 days, but I've not strayed, swerved off the path for 8.5 months.   I'm still riding my bike because my official 30 days are over.   

On the other hand, people start a new Whole 30 several times a year.   They follow the original rules and it is considered an official Whole 30.    Original rules and for 30 days.

OK Thank you both Meadowlily and Brewer5. I will think about it. At first was going to do a whole 30 in March - might still but am going to test waters with a bit of dairy first. Still have a few days to decide. :) If I decide against, then I'll stick around here and just hang around, share support. 

OK Thank you both Meadowlily and Brewer5. I will think about it. At first was going to do a whole 30 in March - might still but am going to test waters with a bit of dairy first. Still have a few days to decide. :) If I decide against, then I'll stick around here and just hang around, share support. 

Bike Riding is encouraged.   If you've read the books or have the audio version....Bike Riding is Good.

In the beginning, I wondered many times....why doesn't everyone just do this forever?   I wrote it down and I see many others do, too.

It's easier to follow a Whole 30  than go back to the big unhappy of the SAD diet.  That's been previously mentioned about a million times.   Everyone knows that mojo exists in the bottom of a homemade mayo jar.

I like to read other people's theories, personal stories with interest.  I look for connections, patterns and new ideas.  I still look at research.    We are unique universes unto ourselves and so much of it is unexplored.   I think many, many are trying to uncover their secret key for overall health and well being.     When we uncover our secret key, will it change everything for us then?

One key.   Sugar equals approval and cheering and love.

Why-kids-should-not-be-rewarded-with-jun

For others, it's recovering from food sensitivities.   A Whole 30 is a food reset and the reinto is the discovery period to find out what foods lead to the big unhappy or high stress.    Add those problems up and you get a real hot mess.

Some of us are riding our bikes with the training wheels left on.

P5130928.jpg

I have my training wheels on because I'm not stopping until I have released excess lard.    When that is gone, I'm still not going back to Groundhog Day.   I will continue riding my bike.    I'm pretty much just tooling along.   I'm right on the edge of discomfort because the seats are made for tiny hineys.

My bike riding is not particularly fast, but so what.   Brewer reinforces that 1 lb. releases are fine.   All I have to do is put in the consistent effort and viola, I'll see my bike's speed is increasing.    I  exclusively ride a trail bike.   The tires are made for some rough trails.    

We are the bike.   We become the bicycle. 

linus.jpg

Wow too weird, ML, I have a Linus that I LOVE and just returned from riding it to and from yoga class!! Is that a pic of your Linus? I hear you on all points - am sticking with cultivating new habits, exploring what I can enjoy without repercussions. Keep on one day at a time! Xoxb 

Wow too weird, ML, I have a Linus that I LOVE and just returned from riding it to and from yoga class!! Is that a pic of your Linus? I hear you on all points - am sticking with cultivating new habits, exploring what I can enjoy without repercussions. Keep on one day at a time! Xoxb 

Well,  Bronny...that would be a copasinki coinkydink.   :D  :lol:  :D 

Just to echo what the girls said, since this thread is in the "Your Whole30 Log" section let's keep the dairy stuff tamped down.

If you are going to do an official W30 in March, how about use this thread meantime for your prep & research, and then on Day 1 you can post food logs and stuff like we did in the January thread.

Also check out Brewer's thread for an example of a post-W30 journal where you could experiment with your own SIBO-friendly version of W30+keto.

You betcha, giving up cream and cheese might give you a headache.   If you had any kind of other sugars in the system, that will do it, too.    How long were you keto?  A couple of weeks at a time or weeks at a time?

I can report that 50 of those have been released but I had to give up cream/milk sugars.  It's been slow, about 4.5 lbs a month.

Sorry, I'm very late to reply on this thread, thanks for all the discussion about dairy, and the sugar on the cream. I'm on day 25 of my lowcarb whole30 and I am feeling awesome without my cream and cheese. Something is probably related, I'm not happy about it, but the sooner I discover if my body doesn't like my beloved cheese and cream, the better.

I've been keto for several months, I can't exactly tell. But I started following the Atkins diet on January 2013, and stayed on the induction phase, very strict with under 20g carbs a day for the first 6 months, where I lost 25Kg and could stop taking my diabetes type2 medicine. After that, I kept dieting but decided not to follow Atkins protocol, but the ketogenic rules - because all of that cream and cheese and creamcheese. I probably did it all wrong, so I got married, changed jobs and moved to the other side of the world and had a couple of months with a very complex diet - following keto during the week and slipping a lot - my husband follows the exactly same diet and he's ongoing loosing weight.

So yeah, this year after the holidays and lots of reserch I decided to go on keto - January 14th and on February 1st started the #whole30.

I no longer had headaches, and I probably won't reintroduce cream and cheese for another month. I'm very happy inside the whole30 bubble.

Thank you, Kirkor for feedback! Yep, I've decided to do another W30 in March. Will give me time to finish my eggplant parm. Since I'm going keto as well, I'll be posting in both forums. Why not?

Carlaarend thank you for sharing about your dairy free experience!! I'm really getting how dairy can affect our bodies, esp. when dietary changes shift everything from hormones to nutrient absorption and inflammation, etc. 

This is how I'm doing my keto - am open to feedback. I'm not being too scrutinizing with the carb/protein count. A while back I did make a basic spreadsheet to help me get started with a column for carbs, protein and fat for each meal and I've used this keto calculator to get a basic idea of healthy macronutrient ratio for my body.

Then after recording a couple days of meals, I had a pretty good idea of what/how much to eat and now I just  wing it. Just keeping the carbs/protein low and fat high. Got a pretty good idea of foods high in fat, low in carb/protein. Mac nuts (daily) and almonds (every other day), lots of kale/zucchini/eggplant/collards, lots of bacon/sausage, chicken soup, occasional steak/lamb chop, lots of celery root and ghee, coconut oil, bone broth 

I'm generally feeling better, losing weight/inches slowly because I can see it. I did weigh myself at my dad's and well, I was pleased with what I saw - but I'm not going there much because my brain attaches itself to weight and that's another reason why I like Whole30.

That said, I have been going back and forth with energy - some days high, some days really low - last couple days really low. Fighting some bug - the flu is upon us again and my joints have been aching, head feels a bit like it's in a helmet, but it doesn't really ache. Feels fluish. I did have a day of splurging just three days ago at airport... and could also be feeling a bit of "carb flu" so taking that all into consideration. I'm drinking my bone broth and just taking it a day at a time. Mornings are better after a good sleep and I'm sleeping really well.

Here's a GREAT site with all sorts of low carb and almost W30 compliant recipes. I'll only be sharing individual W30 compliant recipes in the March forum. 

Hey All

So I woke up with leg and feet cramps - both feet, and left leg - ergh - not at same time, but reeeallyyy annoying. I've been drinking bone broth but I think because of SIBO gut some nutrients/minerals aren't being absorbed like they should. Did research and found that Magnesium helps. So I bought some supps today and hopefully with those + bone broth, my absorption will be better. ALSO had a very strong espresso yesterday - probably had 3 shots, although I thought it was 2. I added water to it and it was wonderful. But thinking that the caffeine in that, which I only have once a week now, might have played a part as well.

I've been researching topical mag oil - any feedback on that anyone?

Also, Kirkor, I've been trying to join reddit keto chat but when I get in, I can't see any chats or type anything like "hello" or anything. Is there something I'm missing?

On the reddit chat, you might need to click over to the 2nd tab that says "#ketochat" ... it's up at the top left corner ... make sure you're not in the "Status" tab.

re: electrolytes, ya, magnesium, sodium, and potassium are "the Big 3"

Weight update:

12/17: 173.6

1/1: began keto, began a Whole30

2/2: 168.9

3/9: 165.0, keto kontinues, also Whole30-"lite" (some dextrose in processed meat, some whey in protein powder, some artificial sweeteners in protein powder & BCAAs ... still no other dairy, alcohol, soy, grains, etc.)

Been doing regular weight-training these past few weeks ... feels really good to have some structure! I'm calorie cycling based on Martin Berkhan's (www.leangains.com) principles (well, except for the carb part) and will probably do that through the third week in April, and then evaluate my weight, appearance, etc. Will probably raise calories for a week for a leptin reset.

In other news, check out our Whole9 thread.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

kirkor, I couldn't even finish the video before I had to pause and send it on to my mom, my dad, and my sister.  It seems so SIMPLE to you and me -- and her -- but we have SUCH a big hill to climb, to make the general public aware.  Thank you for sharing.

Archived