Starting on Monday, Dec 29th

Jalopy

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day three down, I think it went well.  I am drinking a ton of water, which is unusual for me.  I am pretty tired, either from poor sleep last night or my body getting adjusted to this way of eating, I don't know.  I had dinner with a new client tonight so ordered a grilled steak with vegetables and no butter on either but perhaps my request got lost between the table and the kitchen?  Had to pick around it, didn't feel I could have made a fuss in front of the client. Doing the best I can day to day.

I started today 12/29 as well. First day was as I expected considering the holiday eating. I felt surprisingly full after every meal but famished coming up to the next meal. I had to have a some almonds to snack on before I made it to dinner. I gave up my coffee thinking I wouldn't really want it without cream/sugar and I did fine today. I ate pretty simple meals, meat and veggies and eggs for breakfast. I'm anxious to look for a few recipes for the upcoming week. Next week once fully back to work will be more time challenging.

If you're feeling hungry between meals, you may need bigger meals, or an extra mini-meal if you don't think you can eat bigger meals. There's no need to starve yourself on Whole30 :D

Sticking to the template with your meals and mini meals helps balance out your hormones. My biggest learning my first time was to eat fruit with my meals. I have no idea why, but my whole life I'd been eating it on an empty stomach (this wakes the sugar dragon for me).

If you're feeling extra cranky, have some extra sweet potato or other starch, it helps.

Hi everyone! I started today. I tried yesterday and sunday but messed up at the end of the night. I tried one in November and made it to day 20. I had never felt so good! Now that the Holidays are over I am excited to start again.

The headaches are the worst! Hope they go away soon for everyone.

Hello everyone! I am starting my first Whole30 today, so I will tag along with everyone here. So far, so good....I think the hardest part is giving up coffee with cream! I am bracing for the inevitable headache and debating if I think it's worth it to drink coffee black. 4 hours in, the answer is no. That may change. :)

Looking forward to this group's success!

I couldn't find the link, but I had printed it out, so here it is.

Grilled Cinnamon Pineapple with Toasted Walnuts Serves 4

1 pineapple, peeled and cut into chunks
1 tbsp coconut oil
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup walnuts, chopped

In a skillet on medium high, add coconut oil, followed by pineapple. Coat pineapple in oil and cook for 30 seconds before adding cinnamon.  Add cinnamon and toss evenly throughout. Grill pineapple for 3 minutes tossing regularly. Add walnuts and toss for another 1-2 minutes. Serve warm or cooled.

I then added cubed chicken, that I already have prepared and frozen. And just mixed in my Zucchini noodles, I didn't use nuts at all cause I can't tolerate them so not very familiar with which ones are compliant, but easy to change from Walnuts if necessary.

Oh, cinnamon pineapple chicken sounds really unique, do you have a recipe link?

^ yum! I was going to make chicken schnitzel (with almond meal) tomorrow night but I'm considering making that instead!

Onto day 4 here and no real difference in how I feel as yet. This is the same as the last round I did in October. No 'symptoms' until around day 10 when I felt like I was full of lead and that continued for most of the rest of the 30 days!.. 

Day 2 - done.  Horrible headache ALL. DAY. LONG.  Asking myself...was all the Christmas eating really worth this? : )  This is my 4th whole30 and the headaches/neg symptoms decreased each time I did this.  But after a month of indulgence, this headache is just like it was the first go around. 

Tip that helped me in previous whole30's...brush and floss after every meal.  Makes me less likely to want to eat between meals.

Day 2 is behind me and the headache was terrible. Still lingering a bit but more bearable today. I find myself searching for new recipes today. I really need to spend tomorrow getting prepped for the next week. So far I plan to make some homemade mayo for tuna salad, zucchini fritters, zucchini noodles and some "spaghetti sauce", slow cooker Kalua pork, a batch of sweet potato hash and roasted sweet potato cubes and pack a bunch of raw veggie bags.

Looking at stupid easy palo for the zucchini fritters and the clothes make the girl mayo and

http://nomnompaleo.com/post/10031990774/slow-cooker-kalua-pig

What is on your menu for the rest of the week?

I am going to be cooking this weekend as well, I find it so much easier to create meals when there is readily available, prepared ingredients in my fridge.  I don't know what all I will make, but if you're looking for ideas...

I found the cabbage rolls on the NomNom Paleo website - Whole 30 recipes - to be quite good (look for the photo of the knife cutting cabbage, there are links to several cabbage recipes).  I made them before starting the W30 program and ate them at first with ketchup.  Once I started the program I made a slow cooked tomato sauce (1/4 c olive oil, 1 tbl each oregano and basil, cook to bloom the herbs, add 2-3 cloves of crushed garlic, or to taste, cook 30 seconds then add one can of diced tomatoes and 2 cans of tomato sauce, simmer 3-4 hours until thick), that I spooned over the rolls (closely packed in an oven proof dish) and baked in the oven until bubbly.

I also made some ground beef with taco spices for a taco salad with guacamole for dinner, and use the leftovers to add to scrambled eggs with avocado, and salsa. 

I'm going to have to do some recipe hunting this weekend. I've been using a few old and trusty recipes I used in my last W30 in October but I'm still sick of them! Need to shake it up.

Day 5 here! Yesterday in the afternoon I had the WORST headache out of nowhere. I was also super hungry all day even though I ate heaps. Feeling good this morning.

I started Monday the 29th, first-timer here, and gave up 10 years as a vegetarian to do it. I'm not going to lie. The meat is the hardest. I made a crockpot meatloaf last night and just gagged some down for lunch but I know it is going to be a battle. I was never the militant type vegetarian. I just have a hard time with the smell, texture, taste...but I am determined. I am doing this as an elimination diet to see if/which foods cause me crazy headaches and migraines. I also have a foggy brain and suffer from exhaustion. My life is incredibly stressful these days and I know that plays into it as well but a better diet may help me make better decisions and well...feel better! I have not felt bad these past few days because I think I've been feeling so punky for so long I don't notice it! So glad to be tagging along with you all on this journey!

I started Monday the 29th, first-timer here, and gave up 10 years as a vegetarian to do it. I'm not going to lie. The meat is the hardest. I made a crockpot meatloaf last night and just gagged some down for lunch but I know it is going to be a battle. I was never the militant type vegetarian. I just have a hard time with the smell, texture, taste...but I am determined. 

You might find this Whole9 article helpful on Eating Meat: A Primer for the Meat Challenged.

Rainycrane, I had gone over 20 years without eating red meat but I, too, decided that for my health I would incorporate some pork into my whole30. I still can't and probably won't do beef, bison, etc. but I found that finding a source for pork that is organic and certified humane really helped ease my mind. I hope you're able to find a way to do your whole30 and find your way to health. Best of luck to you.

Archived