Brewer5: Keto Whole 30

Brewer5

Day 28

Going to start paying a bit more attention to what is going on with my blood sugar, after meals as well as surrounding caffeine intake.  Throughout this Whole 30, I have reduced the amount of caffeinated coffee I use in the morning, from 5-6 grams of dry coffee in the filter to now only 3 grams.  (The rest is water-processed decaf.)  It is probably still too much.  Caffeine.....  We have been best of friends and worst of enemies, honestly for almost as long as I can remember.

FBG:  98

AM Ketones:  7 green

M1:  eggs (2) + yolk (1), spinach, bacon grease/coconut oil, coconut milk & 1/2 T MCT in coffee

BG 1 hr after eating:  98

BG 2 hr after eating:  88

And literally felt the need to eat a little something at that 2-hour mark.  (It was actually 2:20 because I wasn't home at the 2-hr mark.)  That's not good.  I have already decided that the coconut milk is back out, because it gives me that "coated tongue" feeling, like I get with heavy cream.  No thanks.  Now I wonder if the 4g carbs in it does me any favors, either.   :rolleyes:  Tomorrow I will not be having that, and I will be upping my # of eggs and paying attention again.

M2:  salmon cakes (2), homemade mayo, macadamia nuts

Had two different appointments today with two different kids.  Not a normal day.  I needed those nuts before I went anywhere.  Not feeling all "bulletproof and full of ketones" today.  That felt like a low blood sugar moment and I. don't. like. it.

M3:  ground pork, sausage seasonings, broccoli, coconut oil

M4:  same ^ + 2 eggs, a few baby carrots, coconut manna

I went with "eat a lot of food" for the rest of this afternoon/evening.  And sat on the couch and didn't do a darn thing but watch TV with the kids.  I don't do that often.  Going to bed early tonight, and definitely needing to wake up feeling fresh and renewed tomorrow.  

PM Ketones:  7 green

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another thing I am going to start doing is measuring my ketones at night before bed.  I have already noted that mine are historically higher in the evenings, but I also just got to the point in Phinney & Volek's performance book where they specifically explain about that.  Seems it is not just the norm for me -- it is the norm for everyone.  Good to know.  I have just used AM readings for continuity here, comparing myself to myself.  I will probably shift over to PM-only readings at some point, and that will be my "new norm".   :)

Karen, did you ever use MCT oil?   That's way too refined for my gut.   After a few days, constant  nausea and it felt like an ulcer.  I stopped that and it went away within a couple days.  I won't use that again.  That's why I was asking about the coconut butter as maybe something more gentle.   

I don't use large amounts of coconut oil.   My preference is Macadamia Nut oil.    No probs and it doesn't interfere with the taste of anything I make.    I do use it in my coffee, Brewer.  I like it in my tea but black tea seems to be way too acidic these days.   I stick with Rose Hips,  Peppermint, single herbs or a single leaf.

Karen, did you ever use MCT oil?   That's way too refined for my gut.   After a few days, constant  nausea and it felt like an ulcer.  I stopped that and it went away within a couple days.  I won't use that again.  That's why I was asking about the coconut butter as maybe something more gentle.   

I know everyone's system is different, and brands are different.  We use NOW brand.  When I make mayo (which we seem to use a lot of around here), I use between 3/4c-1c MCT and the other 1/4 - 1/2 cup is olive oil.  So, mostly MCT.  

The only other time I use it is when I decide to have it in my coffee -- but notice I am only using 1/2 T at a time.  I think too much probably would cause me issues.

Just remembered, I also use it when I make nut butter.  Really, the only thing we use nut butter for is when I make the kids "pancakes" on the weekend.  All of this to say.....  no one at our house seems to have an issue with it.  

BUT, I have to wonder about putting mass quantities of it in your coffee.  Is that how you tried it?

The NOW brand I have says "100% Pure".  Whatever that means.  :)

If you are using it completely alone, like on an empty stomach....  I could see how that could cause issues.  I chugged a tablespoon of it before a workout one time, and it did not make me feel great.  I haven't done that since.

So where are you at with your  1-3 teaspoons of compliant oil/good fats to keep your level of satiety/ketones revved up?

Curiousity.. I have used good fats all along to smother cravings.  It works like a dumptruck full of sand on an icy road.  Keeps me  going without sliding out of my lane down the slippery slopes - back to my old trigger of heavy cream.

Just using today as an example, you've got the fat in the eggs, plus the extra yolk, and I fry up my spinach or kale in a crap.ton. of oil.  (Yes, that is a scientific measurement.)    ;)  I put in probably close to a tablespoon of bacon grease and coconut oil -- each.

Salmon cakes have the fat from the salmon, coconut flour, eggs.  Then those are fried in coconut oil.  And slathered in homemade mayo.

Fat, fat, fat, fat, fat.

Just using today as an example, you've got the fat in the eggs, plus the extra yolk, and I fry up my spinach or kale in a crap.ton. of oil.  (Yes, that is a scientific measurement.)    ;)  I put in probably close to a tablespoon of bacon grease and coconut oil -- each.

Salmon cakes have the fat from the salmon, coconut flour, eggs.  Then those are fried in coconut oil.  And slathered in homemade mayo.

Fat, fat, fat, fat, fat.

5514414.jpg

kirkor, wondering if you have any thoughts on this.  

I saw this statement on another forum, from a man who usually seems to know what he is talking about:

"The leaner you are, the quicker leptin levels drop. Low leptin levels help signal overeating and fat storage."

The answer to this in the world of Kiefer is to have a Carb Nite, to reset leptin.

I saw someone here mention "Leptin Reset" the other day.  So I went googling it tonight.  I see that it takes me to Jack Kruse.  And his advice is....  to have 50-75 grams of protein with breakfast -- within 30 minutes of waking.  Are you familiar with this?

http://jackkruse.com/easy-start-guide/

From his site:

• Never snack at all.  This is meant initially and forever.  Snacking completely stresses the liver’s metabolism and is just not recommended.  Your liver needs to re-learn how to use gluconeogenesis normally again when you are asleep and awake.  Snacking just destroys the timing and circadian clocks that work in unison with Leptin.
  • Try to eat three meals a day initially; but as your hunger and cravings fade you can adapt to two a day.
  • Try to eat breakfast as early as possible from rising.
  • Do not work out before or after breakfast.
  • Try to allow 4-5 hours between dinners and sleep time.
  • If you decide to incorporate working out, do it after 5 PM.
  • Within an hour of sunset try to make your surroundings as dark as possible.
  • If you have trouble falling asleep I suggest 3-5 minutes of body weight exercises right before bed (pushups or air squats are fine, but avoid this if your evening cortisol is high).
  • If you’re inclined to, try becoming mindful when you first lay down.  I use transcendental meditation techniques to help me clear my mind and concentrate on improving my thinking.  (Optional; but this is awesome if your evening cortisol is high).

I suspect the majority of internet dieters will never get truly lean enough to worry about their leptin levels.

re: the bulleted list, half of it is simply in regard to good sleep hygiene, the other points are addressed by keto and IF.

I think from a keto standpoint, leptin reset could be assisted via a general refeed, not necessarily a carb-heavy one (i.e. keep your standard macro profile just up the calories) ... also, this is where a TKD could potentially shine, addressing both muscle and hormonal benefits.

I suspect the majority of internet dieters will never get truly lean enough to worry about their leptin levels.

Well, according to Dr. Jack Kruse:

"Remember, you can be LR (leptin resistant) if you’re fat or skinny. If you’re overweight by more than 30lbs, it is a lock you have some degree of LR. If you’re underweight by 20 lbs, you are likely LR, too. If you had an eating disorder, you’re likely suffering from a serious leptin issue."

I just wondered if you'd ever heard of him or were familiar with his work.  His name sounds familiar to me, but that's about it.  I may have to seek out some podcasts with him to hear what he has to say.  And I may try really upping my protein in the mornings and see how I feel with that.  One thing is for sure:  I don't like eating but still feeling hungry all day (like today), and that comes from somewhere.  Women in particular may struggle more when they start getting to a certain level of leanness, because our bodies want us to have enough fat to sustain a pregnancy and nourish a baby.  

Yep.  Biohacking.  Deb went to one of his weekend conferences awhile back.  She could give you the straight skinny on what she's learned if she was here.

http://jackkruse.com/dr-jack-kruse-podcast-episodes/

I'm probably eating alot more protein than you two are right now.   I'm seldom if ever hungry.   I don't do any snacks - haven't eaten between my 3 meals for 8 months...removed 8 inches from my waist.   I've only had the 2 Brazil nuts with a can a tuna.   I don't eat other nuts but do use Macadamia Nut oil.   

• Never snack at all.  This is meant initially and forever.  Snacking completely stresses the liver’s metabolism and is just not recommended.  Your liver needs to re-learn how to use gluconeogenesis normally again when you are asleep and awake.  Snacking just destroys the timing and circadian clocks that work in unison with Leptin.
  • Try to eat three meals a day initially; but as your hunger and cravings fade you can adapt to two a day.
  • Try to eat breakfast as early as possible from rising.

Day 29

The main reason I haven't tested blood sugars after breakfast is because usually when I get done eating, I am still sipping on my cup of coffee for quite awhile.  Yesterday, since I had places to go, I finished coffee and meal at the same time because I had to hurry up and get in the shower.  

All of that to say, I am not going to measure breakfast readings today, but I got a good idea yesterday that I need to have more at breakfast in general.  And I am also going to focus on more protein -- with breakfast.  I see no reason not to give it a shot.

So today I had a tablespoon of my Great Lakes collagen in my coffee.  This is something I was doing a lot on my ultra-low-carb days before this Whole 30.  It's compliant, and I can't even taste it in there, but it adds a little protein.  Probably not going to hurt my aging joints, either.   ;)  I have used it a couple times mixed in water post-workout, but lately it has just been sitting on my counter, neglected.  

FBG:  98

AM Ketones:  9 green

M1:  eggs (4), spinach, coconut oil/ghee, 1T collagen in my coffee

M2:  ground pork, sausage seasonings, green and orange bell peppers, coconut manna

M3:  canned chicken breast, spinach, homemade mayo, Frank's red hot sauce, garlic stuffed green olives, coconut manna

PM Ketones:  7 green

^ Higher at night theory not proving to be true now.  Figures. 

I've been debating a lot in my mind, whether to continue on with this Whole 30, ride my own bike, or what.

And you know what I think the deciding factor is going to be?  BACON.  Yep, I want to be able to eat regular old bacon from the store -- not some special-order fancy pants bacon -- and not feel guilty about it.

There, I said it.  I ate non-compliant bacon three times on this Whole 30 and I have felt a bit of guilt over it.   :ph34r:  ...And I find that a bit ridiculous.  

I've been debating a lot in my mind, whether to continue on with this Whole 30, ride my own bike, or what.

And you know what I think the deciding factor is going to be?  BACON.  Yep, I want to be able to eat regular old bacon from the store -- not some special-order fancy pants bacon -- and not feel guilty about it.

There, I said it.  I ate non-compliant bacon three times on this Whole 30 and I have felt a bit of guilt over it.   :ph34r:  ...And I find that a bit ridiculous.  

Agreed, and I think that's one of the advantages of keeping keto --- we're less likely to succumb to sugar dragon issues, and post-W30 we should be able to tolerate some dextrose in our bacon or hot sauce or whatever.

Continue on.  Oh wait a cotton pickin' minute, you mean after your 30 days are completed tomorrow.  Does this mean Keto cheesecake in your future?   I'm making beef bone broth and I'm going to put different flavors in each cup I freeze.   Tumeric, lemon, ginger, savory, etc.    I need it for my hair and teeth.

You know, I kinda sorta would like that.   We went to the store and loaded up on vege for bone broth.    I went down that aisle and briefly glanced at the cream cheese.   Heavy creams are my trigger.  I didn't squeeze it today like I normally do.   :D 

Archived