Whole30 for Lent: starting February 18th.

angledge

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrators

I have also been having leg cramps in the middle of the night and morning. I have been drinking plenty of water?!

Have you been salting your food? Sometimes, with the removal of processed foods, you also lose a large chunk of daily sodium. 

Have you been salting your food? Sometimes, with the removal of processed foods, you also lose a large chunk of daily sodium. 

Thanks for the advice.  I probably have not been salting food enough.  I never salted food before but I know that I need to add it now.  I appreciate the suggestion as its really hard to sleep along with trying to stay in a pleasant mood at work when your legs are killing you! :)

Does anyone use "True Lemon?"  I'm wondering if it is compliant. The ingredients listed are: Crystallized Lemon [citric acid, lemon oil, lemon juice, ascorbic acid (Vitamin C)]. I read an old post that mentioned you could not use these since they had organic evaporated cane juice.  The box I purchased does not list that as an ingredient so perhaps they changed the formula?  Thanks!

Day 6, feeling more hungry than usual. I try to start adding half of sweet potatoe to either breakfast or lunch. Anyone feeling hungry?

Also, I am kind of getting tired of eggs breakfast. Saw recipe for pumkin pancakes, is that compliant with Whole30? The recipe calls for 4 eggs, canned pumkin, pure vanilla extract (heard that vanilla should be skipped, i dont mind) pumkin spice, cinnamon and baking soda. Does anyone has any suggestions/ideas for breakfast beside eggs?

Thanks for the advice.  I probably have not been salting food enough.  I never salted food before but I know that I need to add it now.  I appreciate the suggestion as its really hard to sleep along with trying to stay in a pleasant mood at work when your legs are killing you! :)

Does anyone use "True Lemon?"  I'm wondering if it is compliant. The ingredients listed are: Crystallized Lemon [citric acid, lemon oil, lemon juice, ascorbic acid (Vitamin C)]. I read an old post that mentioned you could not use these since they had organic evaporated cane juice.  The box I purchased does not list that as an ingredient so perhaps they changed the formula?  Thanks!

Unless otherwise specified, citric acid is typically made from corn. That is a grain. You can contact the company to see what its derivative is.

Edit to add: My resource for that is: http://www.cornallergens.com/list/corn-allergen-list.php

• Administrators

Jana, citric acid is...citric acid.  It's not made from corn.  It's a compliant ingredient, found naturally in foods such as oranges, lemons, etc.  Often used as a preservative.

Jana is actually right, citric acid is created with a corn sugar syrup. We do consider citric acid an acceptable ingredient on your Whole30 though.

I did a bit more research (albeit, not much) and I believe you're referring to the fact that a mold (Aspergillus niger) is used to produce citric acid with a sugar, such as corn, molasses, etc, as the media.  Citric acid is nothing more than C6H8O7.  Saying that it's "created" with corn is a bit misleading.  That'd be like saying I'm created from corn because I ate corn.  In a way, that's true, but we're really NOT exactly what we eat. ;)  Nutrients are broken down and then used for various biological processes.

The same happens in citric acid production.  Citric acid is still just...citric acid.  It's NOT derived from corn or corn products. 

Sorry, my biology/chemistry/biochemistry history is rearing its head.

Hi All, Day 7, almost a week into it. Happy that my husband is working with me and committed to Whole30. Sweet potato, pork sausage/egg casserole-very yummy and a nice break from spinach,egg, advacado scramble. Good for a few days too...makes the morning routine less hectic because you can make ahead of time and reheat. Learning and being open to healthier ways of preparing meals has been enjoyable-channeling my admiration for food in a productive way that just plain feels good. I read the Grain Brain in late December so I had cut way back on the white stuff (sugar & flour). If you aren't conviced yet about the carb thing-read that book especially if nurological issues run in your family). That has made this a bit easier for me. My other white vice-chardonay, well that's another blog. Let's just say the wine cooler is unplugged and I love feeling 100% present. It will be a treat thing for me after Whole30. Make it a great day.

Yes, Happy Day 7! And yes, I get hungry, too. But part of this journey for me is trying to figure out how much is enough at each meal to carry me close to the next one.

Karen320-I would enjoy seeing the recipe for the breakfast casserole if you have a link to it. And I agree about the vino. It will be a treat for me, too, but your comment about being 100% present is something I am liking, too.

Back to work for me today after many days off due to weather. I have my lunch packed wth leftover pad thai and an apple. Breakfast was fish cakes and some veggies, strawberries and banana. We'll see how the day goes. And I will get back to hot yoga tonight. That is something to look forward to!

I did a bit more research (albeit, not much) and I believe you're referring to the fact that a mold (Aspergillus niger) is used to produce citric acid with a sugar, such as corn, molasses, etc, as the media.  Citric acid is nothing more than C6H8O7.  Saying that it's "created" with corn is a bit misleading.  That'd be like saying I'm created from corn because I ate corn.  In a way, that's true, but we're really NOT exactly what we eat. ;)  Nutrients are broken down and then used for various biological processes.

The same happens in citric acid production.  Citric acid is still just...citric acid.  It's NOT derived from corn or corn products. 

Sorry, my biology/chemistry/biochemistry history is rearing its head.

Thanks so much for all the information.  I was so glad to hear that it was compliant!  For those interested and unfamiliar with the product, it is lemon flavoring in a small packet.  One packet equals 1 wedge of lemon.  It's great to have something so portable to carry in your purse to add to tea or water!  Thanks again to all those who took the time to address my question!  Have a great day!!! :)

I am on day 9 start the Monday of Lent.  I made this 

Cinnamon Apple Grain-Free Breakfast Porridge (Dairy-Free too!)

for breakfast and it was amazing.  http://thenourishinghome.com/2014/10/grain-free-cinnamon-apple-breakfast-porridge/ 

I am tired of eggs too.  I am hoping it has enough protein to get me to lunch!!!  Also for dinner last night we had Slow cooker Cheater Pork Stew--http://nomnompaleo.com/post/8425643634/slow-cooker-cheater-pork-stew My pickiest eaters- 14 year old and 15 year old sons even loved this one.  I did bagged cabbage instead of whole head for simplicity.  Loved it.  I need crockpot since I work and have two sons in every sport!  Thanks for all your support and ideas!

LisaCooley, I looooove NomNom's Cheater Pork Stew! And it smells so good when it's simmering away in the slow cooker.

Yesterday was pretty good for me. I had my first social situation involving food last night - I went to an evening lecture that included dinner. I emailed the organizer & declined the catered meal, then I brought food for myself. The other people at my people were curious, so I told them I was doing the Whole30 for Lent & then they were supportive & impressed. It probably helped that the lecture was held at the Iliff School of Theology :-)

I think I slept 8.5-9 hours last night but I feel tired this morning. Contemplating getting a second cup of tea.

And for accountability, I am telling you all that I *will* go to swim practice tonight. I WILL GO TO SWIM PRACTICE TONIGHT. 

Hi AggieS, didn't see if anyone responded to you on this yet but unfortunately pancakes are not compliant, however paleo the ingredients ... there's a lot written about it if you search the forum or google "whole30 pancakes" if you want to find out why.

I'm having a slightly miserable day 7, suffering from indigestion after lunch and worrying about a restaurant meal and a party at the end of this week that's making me think "why am I doing this again?" Oh well, after today first week's done; this too shall pass.

angledge, good work on committing to going to the swim practice!

Hi All,

Birthday update :)

So yesterday was my b-day and I managed not to eat my cake! Yeey.  I told my girls that I was feeling full and that I may have some later- they understood (and here I thought I would hurt their feelings LOL) Later never came..

Other thoughts that I wanted to share... I think I have to say No to nuts,  knowing that they are allowed makes me eat too many- this is what happened Sunday, I thought I would have just a handful and that turned into 3 and I was not feeling great :(

Many people say that this is not about weight loss for them..  I agree to a point, I understand the wonderful benefits of Whole30 but for me - the initial motivation-  weight loss.  So, with that said, I do stress about the amount of fat that I am eating also I don't feel that I have lost anything yet... 

I am trying not to dwell on it because overall I do feel better,

Oh  had a "Kill all things" episode yesterday in the morning but that quickly passed lol

I am not giving up, I am motivated. 

Wish everyone a good day!

• Administrators

I am on day 9 start the Monday of Lent.  I made this 

Cinnamon Apple Grain-Free Breakfast Porridge (Dairy-Free too!)

for breakfast and it was amazing.  http://thenourishinghome.com/2014/10/grain-free-cinnamon-apple-breakfast-porridge/ 

I am tired of eggs too.  I am hoping it has enough protein to get me to lunch!!!  Also for dinner last night we had Slow cooker Cheater Pork Stew--http://nomnompaleo.com/post/8425643634/slow-cooker-cheater-pork-stew My pickiest eaters- 14 year old and 15 year old sons even loved this one.  I did bagged cabbage instead of whole head for simplicity.  Loved it.  I need crockpot since I work and have two sons in every sport!  Thanks for all your support and ideas!

Sorry Lisa, this porridge would be considered SWYPO and therefore not permitted on Whole30.  It is an attempt to use compliant ingredients to create something which is not permitted on the Whole30.  It also does not satisfy our recommended meal template of protein, veggies and fat. (This recipe doesn't have any protein in it, nuts and coconut are a fat on Whole30) I would encourage you to find something else to have for breakfast during your Whole30.  Step outside your comfort zone and try leftovers for breakfast, chili, soup with a protein in it, sauteed meat and veggies.  It doesn't have to be eggs.  You can also google "Whole30 no egg breakfast" and get lots of ideas!

• Administrators

Day 6, feeling more hungry than usual. I try to start adding half of sweet potatoe to either breakfast or lunch. Anyone feeling hungry?

Also, I am kind of getting tired of eggs breakfast. Saw recipe for pumkin pancakes, is that compliant with Whole30? The recipe calls for 4 eggs, canned pumkin, pure vanilla extract (heard that vanilla should be skipped, i dont mind) pumkin spice, cinnamon and baking soda. Does anyone has any suggestions/ideas for breakfast beside eggs?

Sorry Aggie, any type of pancake would not be permitted.  Try googling "Whole30 no egg breakfast" for lots of threads and ideas.  Leftovers are always a popular choice and you can also do skillet "hash" with any sort of meat and a variety of veggies.  

Happy day 7 everyone!

I met up with a friend who is also doing the lent whole30 and we had a good moan...that actually felt super helpful

I've probably been eating more fruit than I ought to be to combat feeling tired from training, but as my reward, all the sugar has given me a nasty headache! Lesson learned, energy from sweet potatoes, not fruit.

Angledge ive found the same as you, I'm sleeping almost 9 hours but still really tired, I struggled to get up this morning which was frustrating, but I'll power through!

I'm about to make myself some kind of frittata for the rest of the week's breakfast, as I'm also getting sick of eggs

I'm going to the theatre tonight and I can't help but be a little sad that I can't take one of my usual snacks with me!

Let's keep it up we're doing well :)

Other thoughts that I wanted to share... I think I have to say No to nuts,  knowing that they are allowed makes me eat too many- this is what happened Sunday, I thought I would have just a handful and that turned into 3 and I was not feeling great :(

Many people say that this is not about weight loss for them..  I agree to a point, I understand the wonderful benefits of Whole30 but for me - the initial motivation-  weight loss.  So, with that said, I do stress about the amount of fat that I am eating also I don't feel that I have lost anything yet... 

Gabi, I think the weight loss thing is hard.  If you've been wanting to lose weight for a while, your head is probably filled with the "eat fewer calories, eat low fat, exercise more" guidelines.  For me, the "eat MORE fat" idea has been particularly the hardest.  It's also difficult to keep things in perspective.  Most of us haven't gained weight in a week (although I've gone from wearing jeans to NOT wearing jeans in a single week, dammit), but we somehow expect to lose a chunk of it in a week?  It takes TIME.

When I did my first W30, did I secretly hope I'd lose 10-15 lbs in a month?  Hell YES!  Did I? Nope, probably closer to 3-5 lbs...if that.  I don't weigh, but my clothes DID become looser. But the entire time I was eating the W30 way, I was mentally tallying the calories in my avocado, my homemade mayo, the olive oil going into the pan.  I tried to reassure myself that I also WASN'T drinking the sweet tea or eating the tortilla chips or cookies...but I still think I was eating MORE calories with W30 and that was worrisome.

I continued with it though, for a couple of reasons.  One, I know that my HEALTH is more important than the number on the scale.  Yes, of course, losing weight when you're overweight also means being healthier, but again, you have to give that TIME.  I was also doing W30 to see if it would help with some inflammation (I have a bad hip) and skin issues (very dry, itchy skin in the winter).  Did it make those miraculously disappear? Nope on that one, too, but there were other benefits.  I really did sleep better, really did feel more positive and upbeat, really did feel more energetic (but not really TIGER BLOOD as some people claim).

After that W30, it took 3 MONTHS of sliding back into some bad habits before those jeans got snug again (and STILL not back to where I started. Yippee!).  In the past, if I'd lost weight using the low fat/low calorie plan, any loses (and MORE) were back in weeks.  W30 really IS different.

So what's my point in all this? ;)  Try, just for this 30 days, to set aside your weight worries.  Try NOT to worry about the scale, try NOT to think about your weight loss goals.  I know...easier said than done, right?  But instead, put those thoughts to W30 (which would mean NOT eating handfuls of nuts, too), let yourself eat the full amount of fat.  ENJOY those olives, avocado, or homemade mayo.  You might be surprised at the end of the month, but even if the scales don't move, think about the changes you've made in the way you eat.  Think about the behaviors and habits that might stick for the long-term.  Behaviors and habits that lead to a SLOW, sustainable weight loss...which is really the only true way to do it anyway.

And good for you for avoiding the birthday cake!  Well done>

Hi All,

Birthday update :)

So yesterday was my b-day and I managed not to eat my cake! Yeey.  I told my girls that I was feeling full and that I may have some later- they understood (and here I thought I would hurt their feelings LOL) Later never came..

Oh  had a "Kill all things" episode yesterday in the morning but that quickly passed lol

I am not giving up, I am motivated. 

Wish everyone a good day!

HI Gabi23

I am the same with nuts thats why I have given them up for lent - better to have a rule around some things - it is working well for me

I am on day 10 (i think - not really worried about number of days just the end day - Easter and well  over 30 days) 

Things are ok 

Had some leg cramps and took some salt 

Actually I filled a teaspoon with salt (recommended daily amount) and struggled to know how I might eat all of that in a day

Food is going fine 

Emotions are going fine

Not sure if I am still a puffa fish - I am back to work and purposely wore an old baggy'ish outfit so no squishing 

Off to the gym now

Zoe

I'm so proud of myself!  LOL  I'm not a cook. Don't really like doing it.  Would much prefer to bake deserts.  LOL  Anyway, last night, I made curry meatballs (2 pans worth!) using local ground beef, ground venison, eggs, onions, bell pepper, carrots, garlic, curry, and a few other spices.  I didn't put in enough salt, but other than that, they're pretty yummy.  I like having protein in the fridge ready to go (right now, there's NY strip steak, sockeye salmon, eggs, chicken, and the meatballs), so I'll use them as a snack if needed, but also with tomato sauce, curry, etc. 

Then, I made cauliflower pilaf.  Cauliflower, a few black walnuts, a couple of tablespoons of raisins, cumin, cinnamon, olive oil, salt and pepper.  Very good!  This was dinner last night:

Img_0143.jpg

Sort of a repeat for M1 this morning...added a sauce of homemade mayo with fresh salsa over the meatballs.  Yummy...but I can't finish it all. :(

Archived