Whole30 for Lent: starting February 18th.

angledge

Arghh it has been tough day, I just feel like quicking. It is the weekend and miss the wine. Its really tough, does anyone goes through or went through the same? I admit weekends are the hardest on this whole journey.

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aggie, don't quit.  Tell yourself that you can have the wine TWO weekends from now.  So you're halfway through this weekend, and just one more to go!  You CAN do this. 

I just got back from dinner with friends.  Yeah, it's not easy.  I really DO want the sweet tea.  The cheese fries and wings...not so much.  The bread...somewhat.  Some of it is just the routine...everyone else is eating appetizers, I'm sitting waiting for my main meal (steak, potato, veggies...all plain...but still tasted good!).  It's really the sugar/caffeine combination that calls to me.  So I just keep telling myself...IF I still really want it in 12ish days, I'll have it.  But, for this day, this week, it's off limits.

AggieS, hoping you're still hanging in there, and if you're not-guess what? Monday can be day 1. I'm speaking from personal experience here :) No shame in starting over, and starting over again....there are so many new habits and skills to absorb, it can take more than one try for many of us.

Unstructured time is for sure more difficult. I have tried to make hot showers my 'new wine'. At least for me, at the end of the day, I feel like I need some physical release, a way to decompress. A long hot shower (hopefully w/o kids hammering on the bathroom door) is helpful for me. NOT the same as a nice little alcohol kick, BUT it's something, and something to replace the old habit with.

My goals right now are slowing down and enjoying food at meals, building meals around protein and not eating between. Yesterday I did *ok* with the first two, but certainly snacked. So I still need 7 more days for my t-shirt goal.

Have a good Sunday everyone!

Hi! Thank you everyone for encouraging words! I am still here and did not give up. I figured I am more than half done and if I gave up, I think I would be more mad, but it was tough day. I admit few compliments from friends I have not seen since I started whole30, helped too. They all said I look slimmer but the scale is the same. Now, I understand why they say not to use the scale.

I am envious of hubby though, he is not doing true whole30 but he eats what I eat for breakfast and dinner and he lost 10lbs. I am happy for him but hate the fact that it is so

much easier for men to loose weight LOL

Started my day on long walk 5 miles and this week I will be running more every morning, it is going to be interesting and hope I will be able to maintain my energy.

Stravajunkie thank you for the tip of hot shower, I will probably treat myself to hot bath with nice bubbles.

Cinagain you are right, we have just one more weekend. I will make sure that I will have projects to be done so I don't have much time to think lol.

Happy Sunday and Happy International Women's day!!

Day 19!  Is anyone else looking forward to a 10, 9, 8...count down?  LOL  I know I probably shouldn't be, but for me, W30 really is WORK.  I don't normally eat 3x/day.  Most of the time, I really don't like to eat at all.  Don't like cooking, cleaning, sitting down to a meal, etc.  I know that we should savor our food, but there are lots of things that, if I really think about it, then I don't want it.  Certain textures "get" to me.  Eggs are a good example. I've been really enjoying my eggs with sausage, onions, kale, etc...but today, I tried scrambled eggs again by themselves.  Blech...still can't get past that bouncy texture.

Now, with W30, I do a pretty good job of finding some favorites, like my sausage Toscana soup, having sirloin in the fridge...just doing a better job of keeping the kitchen stocked with things I will eat...but I get tired of THINKING about it, you know?  So much easier to go grab a granola bar or a piece of fruit...or to just not eat.

All that said...I need to go grocery shopping....

AggieS, glad you're still hanging on.

For me the wine and not weighing have been the most challenging parts of W30. My husband and I appreciate a dry oaky Chardonnay, it's yummy and relaxing. We pretty much morphed into using it as a form of stress reduction, which lead to some sluggish and less than productive days. Not exactly the healthy lifestyle I really want. My husband found some good deals on tea and we have been having a cup of hot tea in the evening...not quite the same effect as wine, but very nice. The scale thing for me: My husband and I both want to lose weight, but more than that we need to get serious about our health (he is 60 I'm 56). I'm convinced that your health has a lot to do with your quality of life as you start to get up there in years. I watch old people and I have noticed that as their health fails or fades so does their zest for life. It's not that I care about living until I'm super old-I just want to feel great as long as I'm alive. It has been nice to hear a couple of friends comment on me looking thinner, but I have to tell them I don't know how much I've lost. I explain I'm working a program that focuses on health, no counting things (carbs, calories, pounds). It has lead to some nice discussion about health. I realize that what has made this experience different for me than previous health/diet plans has been the focus. Sure I'm curious about the weight, but my focus has been on the HOW to be healthy; learning to shop, cook, plan etc. I feel so much better today than I did 19 days ago and the scale has nothing to do with that. I used to get pretty obsessive about the scale so the not weighing for me has been liberating and allowed me to focus on my ulterior motive-optimal health. We each have our own stories and needs. Thank you to all for sharing-I think of you all, out there in cyber space and it's such a strange thing to be on this journey with compete strangers, yet I wish each of you well and success with W30. Peace.

Hey everyone! Today was a skiing day - we went to Vail, which (for me) was a very steep, challenging mountain. But I'm home after a full day of skiing & I'm tired but not destroyed! I don't know if I'd call this tiger blood but I feel very, very good after getting up super-early because of Daylight Savings Time & skiing all day. #nonscalevictory!!

Day 20. I'm not feeling the tiger blood either. Mentally feeling OK but physically still not great. Sleep is good. Digestion is a bit better but I'm still bloated and today have been wondering if I'm actually putting on weight. Last week my clothes seemed to be fitting more loosely but today everything's tighter again. Not sure what's going on. Feeling a bit uncomfortable and unhappy at putting in so much effort and not really seeing benefits yet.

I needed to read the below blog post today, linking in case anyone else is having similar thoughts and needs some tough love:

It's not the Whole 10 (or even 20)

cinagain, I'm definitely looking forward to a "countdown" too. I'm going to do gradual reintros until Easter and cook from scratch pretty much all the time anyway so things aren't going to be very different at the end, but looking forward to not having to worry so much about things like tiny amounts of added sugar or the occasional sulphites.

Well done, everyone, for getting to day 20!

Hi all

I'm back 

Having got to day 16 on my W30 I then had a massive allergic reaction to something (maybe eggs - not sure) - with the whole not breathing and head puffing up - not good - the guys in work have been keeping me going that hubby has been beating me around - so you can imagine I have not been having the best time

The swelling in my head / face has only really gone now (a week later) 

I had my suspicions that with autoimmune disease (coeliac) in the family and having hypopituitarism I was going to have to go down the AIP route - I have done similar elimination diets in the past (BUT THEY ARE HARD)

So here I am on day 6 AIP - SIGH - I think I am through the coffee withdrawal & I have night-shaded myself once by mistake (but have not stopped the clock as that would be too much)

As AIP is generally required for so much longer than 30 days I'm not really doing a W30 anymore - its not really about the days - just getting better 

BUT just wanted to check in and say you are all doing great and hope you all finish and feel amazing at the end

May drop in from time to time 

Zoe

Zoe, good to hear from you. I was just wondering how you were doing. It sounds like you've had a hard time recently so very well done for doing the best you can for your health! You're very welcome in the group even if your whole 30/lent has changed into an indefinite duration and we'll be here for support.

Ytu, I agree ....  I had a victory last week when my fav jeans buttoned...and, well, not buttoning today.  Bit frustrating so thanks for the tough love reminder/link.  

Anyone, get red dots on your lower eye-lids?  My lotion or something I eat?  Had since before this started...had thought it was food, but now I will try my face lotion.....

stravajunkie, now that you know how to make mayo, you should check out Nom Nom Paleo's recipe http://nomnompaleo.com/post/108235360133/whole30-day-16-madras-chicken-salad.  Holy cow, I just made it for dinner & I'm trying not to eat the entire recipe in one sitting!

I used Primal Kitchen's mayo - I'm far too lazy to make my own mayo. A personal failing, perhaps, but wow! PK's mayo is delicious.

Day 21! How's everyone doing?

I keep reading all the posts about fat and think that I don't eat enough of it.  Here's what I had yesterday.

M1: scrambled eggs with compliant sausage (I usually add veggies to this, but my son fixed them for everyone, so they were plain), an orange

M2: ground beef sautéed with onions, bell peppers, carrot and celery, served with cauliflower "couscous"

M3: homemade chicken salad (homemade mayo, celery, chopped walnuts, grapes) with tomato, over kale with balsamic vinegar

In M1 and M2, I didn't add any fat, but I tried to be generous with it when cooking.  M3, I had the mayo in the chicken salad, but that's it.  It's just really hard for me to add "pure fat" to anything...I don't mind a few olives thrown in, or some nuts, but to add a tablespoon of coconut or ghee just feels like too much. :\

If you want to be a fat burner instead of sugar burner, that's exactly what you need to do.   Add that fat in there and let the chips fall where they may.

Speaking of chips....remember pre-Whole 30?   If any of you were potato chip aficionados, the fancy Paleo snack types or regular old grocery store brands - there's more fats in those than what the Whole 30 recommends for compliant dietary fats.    Fat adaped vs. sugar burner.  Add the fats and the fat melts away.  

Speaking of fancy Paleo snacks, those are usually loaded to the gills with sugars to replace gluten.  Coconut Nectar is sugar in a beautiful sounding form.  A tiny bag of those Paleo seed cookies....6 X the amount fat calories in a Whole 30 day.   Don't worry about the recommended good dietary fats.

Good fats aday keep the Paleo snacks away.

MeadowLily, I'm trying!  LOL  It still feels wrong to have a meal with salad dressing, nuts, and olives, but that's what I try to do...eat a mix of fats so it doesn't feel like I have a huge mouthful of oil or something.  And I know myself pretty well...if I "force" myself to eat too much of something, I'll go in the opposite direction and won't eat any of it.  Even this morning...I'm feeling a bit nauseous thinking of any of the foods I'd normally eat...so I'm eating the last of my homemade sausage soup. 

MeadowLily, I'm trying!  LOL  It still feels wrong to have a meal with salad dressing, nuts, and olives, but that's what I try to do...eat a mix of fats so it doesn't feel like I have a huge mouthful of oil or something.  And I know myself pretty well...if I "force" myself to eat too much of something, I'll go in the opposite direction and won't eat any of it.  Even this morning...I'm feeling a bit nauseous thinking of any of the foods I'd normally eat...so I'm eating the last of my homemade sausage soup. 

Stay after it, you'll get there!   I had some thoughts in my head during my Whole 30.  One day, I leaped on the Sweet Potato Love Boat with everyone else.  If you can't beat 'em...join 'em.  Now I'm on board with Real Food Carbs.  Without blathering and foaming at the mouth  :D  :P  :D I sing of the virtues of Real Food Carbs.  I realize that those yams and sweet potatoes are great for women in particular.   As I cleared out the clutter of diet propoganda that had expanded to fill every available convolution of my brain, the fat went away with it.  :rolleyes:  

I made up a mantra for myself.  FAT MELTS AWAY WHEN I WALK BOLDLY THROUGH IT. 

WALK THROUGH YOUR FAT FEARS.   GOOD DIETARY FATS MELT FAT.  GOOD FATS MELT LARD --- FAT, in my case.  :P  :D 

MeadowLily, it's not completely fat fears, although there's probably some of that, too.  I've just never eaten a lot of fat...not a fan of lots of dressing on salads, rarely eat bread, etc.  Maybe tonight I'll fix a baked potato and put a bunch of ghee on it.  I also have some roasted acorn squash that I drizzle coconut oil on with cinnamon...I like that.  But it's having fats "separate" that kind of grosses me out.  For example, when people talk about eating coconut oil by the spoonful...ewww. ;) 

There are some things I could do, like using homemade mayo/dressing as a veggie dip, but then, that becomes more of a snack, so that's out because it's snacking.  If I try to add raw veggies to my meal, I get full too fast...

I'm trying!  LOL

• Administrators

There are some things I could do, like using homemade mayo/dressing as a veggie dip, but then, that becomes more of a snack, so that's out because it's snacking.  If I try to add raw veggies to my meal, I get full too fast...

You can use homemade mayo on anything.  As a little side dip for roast, chicken, pork, roasted potatoes/veggies, burgers.  :D

MeadowLily, you are close to sounding like the Bene Gesserit "Litany Against Fear" from Dune: "I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing... only I will remain."

"I must not fear fat. Fat is the fat-killer. Fat is the satiety signal that brings total satisfaction. I will face my fear of fat. I will permit fat to pass into me and through me. And when it has gone into me I will turn the inner eye to see its effect. Where the fat has gone there will be less fat.... only I will remain."

#sorryeverybody - I'm a sci-fi nerd & it's a slow day at work.

Hi!!

Can't believe it has been 21 days yay.

Today I am feeling exhausted, I think it might have to do either with the fact that I have exercised yesterday or the time change, anyone feeling tired?!?. I did have some sweet potatoes before the run and afterwardd had dinner consisting of sausage with bell peppers.

I made the sweet potatoes casserole with eggs, had that for breakfast with an apple and lunch which was left over chicken soup and banana with coconut flakes. Now, I am feeling so sleepy. Feel like having some coffee but can't have it without milk. Ahh it is going to be long afternoon. I am also trying to stay away from larabars or nuts. I noticed that since I have had some larabars that I still feel bloated. So I am testing and see if perhaps I am allergic. It might be a long afternoon in office. I have to go for a run afterwork too. I will take the advice and read the forums for athletes.

Yeah, I'm tired and drowsy too despite plenty of sleep. Not sure if it's the magnesium supplement I've been taking to help with constipation, or the digestive issues in themselves, or even wondering if I might be battling a mild case of a flu virus that's been going around the office. Just haven't felt quite right for a few days now.

Hi Ytu

Hang on in there

I empathize with the insides not working - mine are awful at the moment - think my insides are still recovering 

Hopefully you are just fighting off an infection - the fact you havent got what everyone else has might mean your system is probably protecting you better

As as progress report I am on day 8 AIP and actually other than the major coffee hangover and shock of no eggs / nightshades / spices etc etc I feel far better (mind you when your head nearly explodes how could you not feel better)

Chin up 

Zoe 

Archived