The "Return of the Dirty Thirty" 12 January start date

dcducks1

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From Melissa Hartwig, co-creator of the ‪#‎Whole30‬ program:

Willpower studies show that three states of being impact your willpower in a negative way. These are states that physiologically change the way your brain reacts to temptation and how effectively it manages executive function.

1. Stress. Stress negatively impacts how well your body manages energy, and drains your prefrontal cortex ("willpower center") of the ability to effectively curb impulses and decline immediate gratification in favor of long-term goals. Translation: under chronic stress, your brain and body think you NEED the cookie--and you don't care about the long-term health costs.

2. Sleep-deprived. This is also a subset of #1, but sleep seems to play a unique role in willpower replenishment. Studies show the brain region most affected by the lack of sleep was the prefrontal cortex (responsible for distinguishing between short-term instant gratification and long term goals). Translation: lack of sleep means you're more likely to make poor choices, even if you don't have any other stressors in your life.

3. Distracted.
Studies out of Stanford show that people who are distracted are more likely to give into temptation. When you are preoccupied, your impulses (always slanted towards instant gratification) guide your choices. This is also likely influenced by satiety--plowing through food while you are distracted doesn't register as effectively in the brain as "eating." Translation: eating while distracted means you're less likely to make good choices that support your long-term goals, and probably eat more than you would otherwise.

#Whole30

(Follow Melissa on Instagram @Melissa_Hartwig)

Soph and I are headed for the ridge.  Then I'm going swimming later with MawMaw. swim2.gif

I'm drinking green tea....thanks to our trainer, jmcbn.   Okay, it's time to head out for the Hole in the Wall.  Soph wanted my broccoli today.  She loves the tippy tops off the florets and is craving greens.  She's doing better, my lil walking buddy and friend.  So long ole pals.   Catch you later at the corral.

jmcbn -  do you share these golden nuggets with your family... if so, how does your family respond? My family..."I have my eyes on you".  They say things like  "are you still watching your diet?"  I can't stand that saying.  

Part of me thinks I over-share, and the other part of me thinks I don't share enough... My folks are big believers in the low fat diet, although they *do* take on board some of my suggestions for things they should & shouldn't be eating. My dad has got to the stage where he says he's outlived the years the bible had predicted for him so every day is a blessing and he's living it to the full* My mum likes to get out walking when the weather is good, and she does cook a lot of stuff from scratch, but she uses a lot of pasta, rice, gravy, sauces from jars, low fat  yoghurts etc... I'm leaving ISWF with her in the hope she'll read it. They don't really get that Squeaky Clean Paleo or Whole30 are not 'diets', and my mum thinks I need to eat 'normally' because my face is too 'pinched' - and there was me thinking I'd good cheek-bones!!  :o  :D 

I'd love for my sister to take *anything* on board that I suggest (she has secondary breast cancer and could really do with improving her diet) but she's older than me, & therefore knows better than me   :rolleyes: and likes her cups of instant coffee accompanied by a handful of biscuits. Bleurgh! I bought her a slow cooker and a few recipe books, and I *think* she uses it.... She doesn't ever mention how I eat, but she *does* keep offering me chocolate covered, toffee filled biscuits every time I'm there...

Because I'm studying nutrition I do get friends asking for advice, and they listen initially but their eyes glaze over after the first hour  :P  All joking aside, I've switched a few people on to Paleo, have switched a few people off sugar, and have offered my copy of ISWF to a few others. But you have to really want to make the chnages for yourself. And a lot of people focus on what you can't have on whole30, rather than what you can. A lot of people are actually afraid to cook.

We have a little social gathering at the gym after training on a Saturday. Everyone else is always there with their latte, and prewhole30 I was the one drinking a protein shake - now it's tinned tuna :lol: Those Saturday guys more than anyone else respect me for my discipline (their words), but they're not willing to step outside of their comfort zone, and that's where the magic happens...

*read that as he's eating whatever he fancies - and that often involves cake!

That social gathering sounds schweeet....nice bunch of folks.   Older sisters can be really, really bossy.  :D   So as I was saying to all of my younger sisters,  you need to listen up and don't go down the old wagon wheel ruts I've already been down. 

Lucy%20-%20Psychiatric%20Help.jpg

Aw, I'm so glad she's doing better....

My big sister is doing great thanks. She's well looked after, and fortunately she's one of a small group (not everyone is suitable) that gets a cocktaiil of meds every third week that should hopefully contain everything. Then she gets the MRI's, the CT scans, the heart traces etc periodically to check from the inside out. It's been a long ride, but she's a tough cookie. Mind you, she should be - she eats enough of them!  :P

Enjoy your swim!

Well today is day 61, which means today is the day I allowed myself the salmon with the added sugar. I was looking forward to it I have to say - salmon, avocado, tomato & scrambled eggs was one of my favourite breakfasts pre-whole30, but it's safe to say I'll be finishing what I've got in the freezer (about 6-7 more servings) and looking for a compliant salmon for the future. It was disappointingly sweet when I tasted it on its own, and that's with sugar listed LAST on the ingredient list. Thankfully the sweetness was masked with the flavour of the spinach & onion I'd added to the eggs but overall, not good. I'll be interested to see how my mood is this morning with the sugar intake.

As they say on Britain's/America's Got Talent - It's a 'no' from me....

ETA: Thanks for the dance Meadow - No better way to start the day than with goosebumps - have you seen any of these shows live? A-MA-ZING!!!

It's time to punch in...I'm up because my dog is sleeping in my bed..with her lil head on my pillow.  I don't have the heart to move her.  She likes my pillow, what can I say.   The Bear is sawing logs and I think it puts her to sleep.   :D

Your salmon, you've been looking forward to that for a long time.   I hope you're bright eyed and ready for work.  I think I'll go sleep in the dog's bed.  :lol:  

I did the happy dance this am. Team leader at work texted me and asked if I wanted CT again today. CT is where you sign up to get called off if they don't need all the people scheduled to work. So of til 11 and probably 3. Have to check in at 0930 to see if they need me at 11. Like a mini vaca. I feel like I could take a nap so I think I will feelin a bit stuffy in the head and sneezy... Probably from all the dust I had stirred up yesterday and day before. Nap and then stir up more dust! It feels so good to feel like getting stuff done!

Archived