Why the meal template amounts?

Loulabelle

Hi, I have searched the website and the forum for the answer to this but did not find anything specific so if it has been asked before please forgive me.

I am being asked why the specific amounts in the meal templates? Why 1-2 palm fulls of protein & 2-3 cups of veg plus the thumb of good oil? I have no answer other than the one I think fits which is that is that is is to get enough nutrients into our bodies. Is there a scientific answer to the amounts given? 

I have no answer other than the one I think fits which is that is that is is to get enough nutrients into our bodies. Is there a scientific answer to the amounts given? 

Is that not "scientific" enough? I think you nailed it.

Research tells us that "most people" do well eating foods in the quantities/combination and frequency described on the meal template. The ranges and units of measurement provided (1-2 palms, 1-2 thumbs, etc.) account for the majority of variation, although some outliers my need more than the upper end of the template (hard driving athletes and pregnant or nursing women), so they are given suggestions to modify a bit.

• 4 weeks later...

I like the flexibility. I spent many years stuck in the weighing/measuring/calorie counting trap, and now I'm learning to listen to my body. I've learned that I need to really limit carbs (specifically starchy veggies and fruit) at dinner or I get crazy weird dreams, and I need my fat intake on the higher side or I end up with cravings and "feeling hungry" within a couple of hours of eating. If I just add a little extra avocado or olives to my meal, I feel much fuller for much longer. I think this is what the Whole30 is all about - learning that n=1 and what works for one person may not work for another.

Coming from such a rigid mentality, I don't know that I would have ever discovered this about myself otherwise. I would have just decided the program didn't work and given up. The flexibility of the template (1-2 palms, 2-3 cups, etc) encouraged me to experiment until I found what worked for me.

• 1 month later...

Where do you find this template? I'm just getting my ducks in a row before I start w30 and need all the ammunition I can get. Since I need to lose about 70 lbs, I'm wondering if w30 has calorie recommendations and/or any macros we should be following in terms of protein/carbs/fats?

Where do you find this template? I'm just getting my ducks in a row before I start w30 and need all the ammunition I can get. Since I need to lose about 70 lbs, I'm wondering if w30 has calorie recommendations and/or any macros we should be following in terms of protein/carbs/fats?

Here is the meal template: http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-meal-planning.pdf

Design each of your meals to follow this recommended template for best results.  

We advise against counting calories or macros on a Whole30: tune into your satiety cues instead.  Create meals that satiate you for 4-5 hours, following the template of 1-2 palms of protein, 1-3 cups of veggies and a compliant fat for every meal.

Why?  Some individuals have loosely added items onto what the meal template really is.   They've interpreted that Larabars are for breakfast, lunch and dinner.  I see them on many of the new logs as standard fare.

• photo-thumb-6.jpg?_r=1403697759
  • Moderators
  • w9team.png
  • 5978 posts
  • LocationAlpharetta, Georgia, USA

Posted 12 March 2015 - 06:44 AM

Every larabar is a bad idea. Avoid them throughout your Whole30 and you will do fine. 

Part of what you are supposed to do during a Whole30 is learn to read ingredient labels habitually. Vendors change ingredients from time to time. A product that is compliant when you buy it one month might change by the time you want more a month later. The only safe thing to do is to read the ingredient label. 

So to summarize: Don't buy any larabars. Read the ingredient label to see what is compliant and what is not.  :)

Archived