Am I doing this right?

ladyz

Hi all,

I'm 23 days into my first Whole30. and though I'm 3/4 of the way through, I feel like I just am not doing it right. The switch wasn't hard for me, and staying committed has been quite easy. Pre-Whole30, I felt good. I was eating relatively healthy but was eating mindlessly A LOT, like to the point that I regularly have actual nightmares about accidentally licking my fingers after making my husband a PBJ. I didn't even remotely realize how much I was consuming each day due to mindless eating, snacking and tasting. I haven't had the withdrawal issues many people have, haven't been hangry or cravings-crazed, and haven't felt a real boost in energy or anything (though keep in mind I felt good before starting Whole30).

The biggest reasons I started Whole30 were a) to quit dairy per a recommendation from my acupuncturist, B) be healthier for fertility purposes, and c) to lose weight. Losing weight has never been easy for me. In fact, the only times I've ever lost weight in my life were times when I was mistreating myself - purposefully not eating, and when I did eat, it was some processed snack bar or something, and lots and lots of negative body image crap. I'm obese with a BMI of 40, but I have excellent health despite being so overweight (good cholesterol, good blood pressure, hormones are where they need to be, no thyroid issues, nothing). I've been living a healthier lifestyle for the last 5+ years - eating lots of healthful foods, including grains, dairy, and limited sugar (with a few not-healthy meals throughout the week when I want them) and ending the self-hate - and I'm ok with myself after decades of feeling terrible about myself and trying to be what others thought I should be. I won't lie, I don't exercise much mostly because I get bored and lose interest, but I'm in retail and on my feet, moving around a good part of the day, and I do enjoy walking and light hiking when it's not sub-zero temperatures, and yoga, which I try to fit in once or twice a week. 

So now, I'm 3 weeks into my Whole30 and I have not lost any weight or inches. I know, I'm not supposed to track my weight until after the 30 days. But I stepped on the scale last night hoping to see some change, mostly just for a little internal motivation, and there was nothing. I know I'm doing right by my body by eliminating toxic foods from my life, but 3 weeks of eating nothing but whole foods, lots of veggies, good proteins and fats, and only a serving of fruit a day and no change in my weight? I can't help but be disappointed. 

Once I wrap up my Whole30 next week I'm planning on transitioning to a Whole30/Paleo blend 6 days a week and allowing myself 1 day a week to have what I want. My husband has no desire to participate in this lifestyle change with me, which is fine even though I really wish he would for his own health, but I want to be able to go out to dinner with him once a week and actually enjoy myself instead of having to nitpick over the menu for something diet-compliant while knowing I'd enjoy the meal more if I'd just prepared it myself at home. 

So I guess I'm hoping to get some insight from folks....have you had a similar journey, expecting some weight loss and not getting it? Has your journey been different from what you expected? I feel like I must not be doing Whole30 right since I never felt crummy, haven't really had cravings, didn't have a shift in energy, and definitely haven't lost weight yet. Is this normal? I am happy to be healthy, but I would be really happy to be less fat. Perhaps I'll experience success in weight loss in the weeks following my formal Whole30, but for now I'd love to hear others' experiences of atypical Whole30 results. Thanks in advance!

Years of damage is not undone in 30 days.  I totally understand why you want to see some differences on the scale, but sometimes that darn thing does not cooperate!  Did you happen to take your measurements before you started?  That's another interesting thing to compare when you're done.  In the meantime, tuck that scale under the bed and forget it for the next week!  

You don't mention it but how are you sleeping?  How are your stress levels?  Are you staying well hydrated?  Of course, if you could post your food log you'll get better feedback from this forum.  Sleep and stress management are crucial for weight loss.  And yes, I do think if you want to see a lasting change in your body composition you will need to find some kind of exercise that you enjoy and do it consistently, it doesn't have to be anything hard core, just get your heart rate up.  Put on music and dance at home.  Try yoga, on demand services have a lot of options.  Do body weight exercises at home, i.e. squats, lunges, things you do not need any equipment for.  Being on your feet is not the same as working out.  There are so many variables that go into weight management, it's really frustrating and sometimes we can end up feeling hopeless.  There's a lot of experimentation, which is why I think this program helps people, if you haven't been logging your food somewhere then start, it really does help you be sure you're following the meal templates and the program.  

• Moderators

Please post an accurate log of a few days' worth of food and we'll help you troubleshoot. 

I didn't lose any weight or inches on my first Whole30, but what it set in motion is so much more valuable than that. Stay the course. Good things are happening.

And stay the &$*% off the scale. It's a rule of the program for very good reasons, one of which is many people see their biggest changes in the final week and days of the program. 

You guys are awesome. I'm new at this and I clearly need direction. The scale is officially hidden. I've never in my life been tempted to step foot on a scale, but since starting Whole30 it creeps into my mind at least once a day. I just want validation, damn it! But I'll stay the course and not touch the scale, I swear.

I had been tracking my food the first week, but I was using My Fitness Pal which kept sending me evil naggy push notifications that I ate my daily fat allowance by lunchtime, so I haven't logged in since. I'll start logging my meals again and report back - do folks around here like a particular app or recording method? I could definitely just use My Fitness Pal and adjust my settings so I don't get judgey notifications, but if there's another that people in this forum tend to use and like, I'm all for a change. I have been eating 2-3 big meals per day, and on the days I only fit in two meals I usually have an apple with a tablespoon of almond butter as a snack. But it usually is 3 meals with no snacks. And I am pretty good about keeping to the template.

Krista, to answer your questions, I did take my measurements before starting and they were terrifying. I hadn't done that in a very long time and I hope to god the next time I do they're a little nicer. I sleep solidly and regularly, always have. I find I only wake up once per night lately to pee, instead of getting up 2-3 times to pee. I do wake earlier in the morning on my own and don't feel groggy like I used to for the first hour after waking. I don't have a ton of stress - I would say a normal amount - and I handle what stress I do have pretty well, rarely actually "feeling stressed" and that's stayed the same on Whole30.

Thank you guys for your responses. I'll certainly follow up with food logs.

We don't recommend anything that tracks calories or macros for logging. Many people will keep a food log here in the Your Whole30 Log section...just a thread you create and keep posting to to keep track. Pen and paper works nice to. Are all your meals fitting the food template? Instead of 2 meals and a snack do try to get three meals every day. Eating an apple with almond butter is technically compliant but it isn't the best stand alone food. We recommend keeping fruit to meal times. Are you eating your first meal within an hour of waking?

Physibeth, I am careful to get my meals to align with the meal template as much as possible, but obviously it's a work in progress. More often than not I m eating 3 meals, but maybe once or twice a week I end up doing 2 meals and a snack due to less than ideal planning :-/ And eating within an hour of waking has been a challenge for me. My meal times definitely need work, as right now I'm not eating breakfast until 10-ish, lunch at 2-ish, and dinner at 7-ish. I make a point not to eat after 8pm and I usually go to bed around 11pm. I wake up usually between 7-8am and I start off with coffee and about 3 tbsp coconut milk from a can. Once I start sipping my coffee I just don't have the desire to eat until a little later, probably because of the fat in the coconut milk.

• Moderators

Once I start sipping my coffee I just don't have the desire to eat until a little later, probably because of the fat in the coconut milk.

I hate to say this, I know people get very attached to their morning coffee routine, I've been there, but -- it is WAY more important to have food than coffee, so don't start sipping the coffee until you've eaten the breakfast. :)  It's a habit, and one you can change, although it will be a challenge.

Once I start sipping my coffee I just don't have the desire to eat until a little later, probably because of the fat in the coconut milk.

Actually, caffeine in the coffee can act as an appetite suppressant.  This is why the Whole30 recommendation is to eat meal 1 before consuming your first cup of coffee.

Thanks for the coffee recommendations GFChris, ShannonM816 and Krista. It's true, time to break that first-thing-in-the-morning habit! Switching from cream and sugar to coconut milk was a good first step, but now time to take it a step further.

Log for today:

Woke at 7:30 and had glass of water.

Meal 1 @9:00am - 1/4 kale, onion, grape tomato and prosciutto crustless quiche, 8 oz coffee w/2tbs lite coconut milk

Meal 2 @2:30 - big salad with mixed greens, red peppers, kalamata olives, cucumbers, acorn squash, 2 small herb marinated chicken thighs, olive oil and balsamic vinegar

Beginner yoga from 6:30-8pm

Meal 3 @8:30pm - 1/4 quiche from this morning, 1/2 spiralized sweet potato sautéed in coconut oil

64 oz water

ladyz I feel like we are twinsies! Everything you are saying is almost a mirror image of what I have been facing all the way down to the coffee before breakfast...with the exception that today is day 21 for me. I have been intimidated to post anything so I have just been lurking and reading others posts. 

I have been feeling the same as you, except I found out I had gained weight when I went to the Dr. for a pre-op for surgery next week. :( Discouraging to say the least. 

I just want to say keep it going, your doing great. I thank you for asking the questions that I also have been thinking and feeling! 

mskrissytina and Charona, I'm glad to know I'm not alone! Sorry I haven't updated with any more food entries. I actually fell hard off the wagon on Day 28, this past Sunday. I was already planning on committing to another cycle and I'd just had a TERRIBLE stressful week, so I felt I needed to allow myself a day. I also woke up late that morning, had to drive 1.5 hours for fasting bloodwork and didn't even have a chance to make coffee let alone prepare a compliant breakfast for after the blood work so, excuse my language, but I was just like "Fuck it."

Post-blood draw, I had hotcakes fried in butter with maple syrup and lyonnaise potatoes. It was amazing, and then I felt like garbage the rest of the day :) Honestly, I was surprised how I reacted mentally to that day. I thought I was going to be a kid in a damn candy store, but all I craved the rest of the day was massive amounts of water and raw vegetables. It was HUGE that I didn't go on a junk binge all day!!! It became very apparent that some very big changes have happened to my body, even though they have yet to show in my weight or body composition. 

I'm now on Day 3 of my new whole30 and I am feeling really good. This may be TMI, but I'm going through fertility treatment for unexplained infertility. My husband and I both test as perfect reproductive specimens, but for some reason we just can't get pregnant. My cycle is like clockwork - 28 days, a 3 day period, ovulate on day 14. It never really fluctuates at all, and if it does, it's only by a day, max. Well, I went in for pre-insemination monitoring yesterday, day 10 of my cycle, and it showed that I would be ovulating today, THREE days earlier than usual. I'll know over the next month or two if it was just a fluke in this cycle or if my body is adjusting itself, but for someone who's always been super regular, this is pretty big stuff.

Anyway, just wanted to share my experience in the last few days. Thanks for the help and support!

ladyz and charona,

Im still holding on strong (day 25) yesterday and today I actually am starting to feel a little more "results" and a little less bloated. :) I had the horrible headaches again a few days ago. I have added more fat and start for breakfast and less fruit and have really started to feel a little better. I am now drinking coffee near the end of breakfast and the bonus to that is I am so full that I only manage to drink a little over a cup! :)  

My typical breakfast consists of two eggs, either 1 or 2 pieces of compliant bacon (or left over meat from dinner) and a half of a sweet potato and half of an avocado. Lunch is usually a pile of vegetables such as a mix of cabbage and kale with a protein and half of an avocado. Dinner is a basic meat and vegetable dinner like meatloaf, potato with ghee and a large pile of broccoli. 

Ladyz, that is okay that you messed up. It teaches us just how far we can push our bodies. You did the right thing IMO and tested the waters to find out just had crappy that food made you feel. Now that you have restarted and see that there are some changes that may be of benefit to you, it makes the journey even more surreal! So don't give up, reduce the stress and keep the journey moving forward. If nothing less, clean eat and see if that will keep you going in the right direction. I have read that there are a few people that have tried this new way of eating to help with various fertility issues. :) Hopefully it brings you nothing but good news!

I was so pleased to see these posts - I'm only on Day 4, but this is the second time I have done Whole 30 - the first being about a year a half ago. The transition/detox period has been significantly easier for me this time. It makes me a bit concerned for the end results - I know its early for concern. Maybe I just knew what to expect this time? The other difference is that my husband has joined me in this Whole 30. He is an avid pop and tea with sugar drinker so I'm seeing him having a tough time withdrawing from all that sugar...perhaps I'm just comparing myself with him. Not sure, but I remember seeing changes last time on Day 6...hoping that will be true this time as well...otherwise I worry about staying motivated!

Archived