11 hours of class on Saturday - what to do?

Emtucky

I am in a weekend MBA program that meets every other Saturday from 7:30 am - 6:30 pm. They typically provide us breakfast, lunch, and a substantial afternoon snack. We meet this weekend and I just had the "oh crap what am i going to do?" Freak out.

I generally always eat breakfast at home because i don't like what they serve. So that is covered. It will be around 6:30-7 am.

Lunch is at 11 am (pre determined. We only have a 50 min break) and I had already planned to bring something from home that is compliant and within the meal template.

Where I am freaking out is the afternoon. I know I will start to be hungry between 3:30-4 pm. Any suggestions what I can take to eat during class? i.e. Something that can be eaten cold and won't distract from the lecture?

Help!

Can you bring an insulated lunch bag? Couple of hard boiled eggs and sliced peppers?

That's what i was thinking...it's just that I usually eat 3 eggs scrambled with peppers, mushrooms and spinach in the morning so it would be repetitive. But better than going hungry I suppose...

That's what i was thinking...it's just that I usually eat 3 eggs scrambled with peppers, mushrooms and spinach in the morning so it would be repetitive. But better than going hungry I suppose...

So have something else for your meal 1 that day: no rule that says you have to consume eggs for breakfast. :-)

I like the veggies/protein dipping into some homemade mayo idea...as long as the veggies aren't too crunchy and loud. ;)  I don't like the hardboiled egg idea because I think boiled eggs stink.  I'm not sure I'd want to be in a lecture with someone and they pull out eggs to eat...but that's just me.  Why not make some chicken salad?  Chicken, mayo, celery, maybe a few grapes, put it in a small container and bring a fork.  Should be pretty easy to eat, not noisy, not smelly. ;)

If you can't bring in an insulated bag, what about looking for some compliant jerky? 

I vote for chicken + mayo or avocado. I worked in an open office space and always felt super self conscious when I brought hard boiled eggs for snack/lunch. They're pretty stinky/sulfur-y...even if they are yummy. Another idea: make a little extra of your breakfast scramble (egg + veg) and portion some in a bit of tupperware as an afternoon snack. :)

..... They're pretty stinky/sulfur-y...even if they are yummy. ......

I used to have problems with my eggs turning out stinky and sulfur-y until I followed what Stupid Easy Paleo and Nom Nom Paleo give as tips on boiling eggs to not get the gray green tint around the yolk and lower or avoid the unpleasant smell.  http://nomnompaleo.com/post/39561896332/whole30-day-3-perfect-hard-boiled-eggs

http://stupideasypaleo.com/2013/09/26/perfect-hardboiled-eggs/

see if either of those help. Good luck.

Make up some meatballs to put in your cooler for your 4 pm mini meal. Or simply cook a chicken breast. Throw in some homemade mayo for dipping/drizzling and bring along some raw veggies like baby carrots, celery, jicama ...

Unfortunately, I didn't have success with homemade mayo. :( I was already thinking of a grilled piece of chicken though...so that's good. Just need to figure out a veg/fat combo.

Which recipe are you trying for mayo? Have you tried the one from theclothesmakethegirl.com? Melissa Joulwan has a video tip on her page. http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/2010/06/03/the-secret-to-homemade-mayo-patience/

But I don't always have time for waiting on my food processor to drizzle all the oil so sometimes I have to cheat by putting all the ingredients into a cleaned out mason or pickle jar and using my stick immersion blender to blend it together. One of the best tips from Melissa Joulwan is to have the ingredients at room temperature that for some reason seems to help. Also, if you are looking for a video demo of the mason jar trick I think one of the ladies who contributed to the Whole30 Recipes intsagram posted one in January. 

Which recipe are you trying for mayo? Have you tried the one from theclothesmakethegirl.com? Melissa Joulwan has a video tip on her page. http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/2010/06/03/the-secret-to-homemade-mayo-patience/

But I don't always have time for waiting on my food processor to drizzle all the oil so sometimes I have to cheat by putting all the ingredients into a cleaned out mason or pickle jar and using my stick immersion blender to blend it together. One of the best tips from Melissa Joulwan is to have the ingredients at room temperature that for some reason seems to help. Also, if you are looking for a video demo of the mason jar trick I think one of the ladies who contributed to the Whole30 Recipes intsagram posted one in January. 

I used a similar method as theclothesmakethegirl.com and had the egg at room temperature, but not about the lemon. So that was cold. I also don't have an immersion blender, food processor, etc. The only "tools" I have is a normal blender, nutri-ninja and an hand mixer with a liquid blender rod attachment. So I'm not sure if that is also affecting the outcome.

Right now my plan is to bring cooked a 1/2 portion of chicken, raw veggies and olives to eat around 4 pm and then I will have my 3rd meal when I get home around 7-8 pm. So my menu will look like this:

M1: 3 eggs scrambled with 1 c veggies

M2: (likely Chipotle) Carnitas, salsa and guacamole on a bed of lettuce

M2.5: 3 oz chicken, 1/2 cup raw veggies, 1/2 handful olives

M3: Pork stirfry with cauliflower, zucchini and mushrooms (fat will be in the sesame oil used to stirfry veggies)

Definitely still looking for ideas on no-fuss snacks. Next class week, I'll be more prepared and possibly get some compliant lunchmeat I can wrap around avocado slices and sliced veggies to make little protein wraps. There doesn't seem to be a lot of ideas out there that isn't canned tuna, eggs, grilled chicken, etc.

I think your chicken, veggies, and olives sound great!  You could really do that with a variety of proteins.  Sliced steak, mini-meatballs, etc.

For the mayo, I use whatever plastic I'm going to store it in, throw in a room temp egg, 1/2 tsp mustard power, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/4 c light tasting olive oil.  I do have a stick blender, not expensive (this one:http://tinyurl.com/n7egny2), so I blend the egg and oil, then start drizzling in 1 cup oil.  I don't do it super slowly...takes less than 5 minutes to whip up a new batch of mayo.  I use Apple Cider Vinegar at the end to thin it out.  Oh, and the mayo looks like mayo (thick and white) well before I ever use the vinegar. 

I was afraid of mayo until I found this method: 

I've only messed it up once and it was because I had the setting on my parents stick blender too high. Still made great salad dressing though.

Haha that is the exact video I used on my attempt to make mayo......and failed. I don't have a stick blender though so maybe that's why. I'm not really willing to buy one. I already have too many kitchen gadgets... :o

Haha that is the exact video I used on my attempt to make mayo......and failed. I don't have a stick blender though so maybe that's why. I'm not really willing to buy one. I already have too many kitchen gadgets... :o

This method won't work in the regular blender. You can get stick blenders pretty cheap...doesn't need to be powerful for mayo. I find it to be very useful and keeps me from having to clean my regular blender for things like blended soups and mayo.

That kind of surprises me.  Stick blenders take up very little room and aren't expensive. To me, this would be like saying "I have too many pieces of exercise equipment...not going to buy the jump rope."  If it's useful and effective and helps you to eat healthier, having "too many kitchen gadgets" isn't much of a reason to NOT buy one.  If you have to, donate one of the not-very-useful gadgets to GoodWill to make room.

• Administrators

You can get a cheapie immersion blender for about $10.  I use mine so often that I don't even put it away, I just leave the business end in my drain tray and the motor on top of the microwave.

Soups, mayo, whipping egg whites, pulverizing cooked veggies & broth to make "gravy", mashed cauliflower, mashed turnips, recombining nut butters when the oil separates.  The uses for it are endless.  :) 

You can get a cheapie immersion blender for about $10.  I use mine so often that I don't even put it away, I just leave the business end in my drain tray and the motor on top of the microwave.

Soups, mayo, whipping egg whites, pulverizing cooked veggies & broth to make "gravy", mashed cauliflower, mashed turnips, recombining nut butters when the oil separates.  The uses for it are endless.   :)

Please don't put your fingers on it while it's going.   (Grannie  :o  :o  :o )

• Administrators

Please don't put your fingers on it while it's going.   (Grannie  :o  :o  :o )

Haha, when Grannie posted that about her fingers the first thing I thought was "Man, I should probably stop licking it then!".  LOL.

Archived