Legumes messed us up! Is this normal?

Hi!

My husband and I reintroduced legumes on Wednesday and have been living with the awful digestive consequences ever since.

We had black beans with our eggs at breakfast, hummus and carrots with our lunch (of chicken and salad) and lentil soup and grilled chicken for dinner.  We have had gas and loose, burning stool ever since that first meal.  The morning of day 2 back on Whole30 was the worst.  I'm hoping that this is behind us.  Honestly though, this can't be normal right???

We are about to introduce non gluten grains tomorrow and are really worried we are in for it.  What should we do?

P.S sorry if there is TMI in here about our poop.

• Moderators

People who are sensitive to legumes can have prominent digestive consequences when eating them. You guys sound sensitive to beans. :)

Be sure you are back to good before proceeding with reintroductions. It is important that you not have leftover problems with legumes giving you a false positive for sensitivity to grains, etc. Being sensitive to one thing does not mean you will be sensitive to something else. 

I haven't actually completed a whole30 as yet so I'm probably not the best to respond here, but legumes are one of the main allergens in the UK so I'd assume it's the same in the US and the symptoms generally present themselves via indigestion/diarrhoea. Whislt you may have been eating them prior to whole30 the symptoms may well ahve been masked by your reaction to other foods, but now that your gut has had time to heal while on the whole30 I imagine it would now be very quick to let you know if it's not likely what you're putting in.... If you're still having issues I'd be inclined to remove the legumes & allow your gut time to heal again before reintroducing anything else....

Of course I haven't got to reintroduction as yet so I'm just going with my gut instinct here - please wait for someone with more experience to respond...

Hope you're both feeling better soon  :) 

Re: the poop - my youngest son was very ill as a baby & we had to keep a poop log - it's actually very interesting...!!  :rolleyes:  :D  :blink:

edit: See someone more knowledgeable beat me to it - I'm obviously a slooooooow typer!!

Thank you to all three of you!  So we aren't dying after all! haha!  And at least we are lucky enough to go through the same intolerance together....aw the romance of it all!

I think I will definitely push off my non gluten grain menu for as many days it takes for legumes to stop reeking their havoc.

Jmbcn - in the USA there are tons of kids with peanut allergies especially.  I've also heard of some cases of soy allergy.  I was totally afraid to even think about trying peanut butter and now I'm glad i did not.  

Also, I think that your poop diary idea is great.  Honestly everyone should keep one during their whole30 and reintroduction.  Fun for the whole family and laughs galore.

Ladyshanny - good article and all good stuff to keep in mind

Tom Denham - you are doing a great job and everyone is noticing!

• 4 weeks later...

Here's my question about reintroduction in general, and beans in particular.  If we've been going without these foods for thirty days (or more), the gut bacteria that digest them have probably been starved out.  Isn't that going to give us a reaction even if the food is not problematic?  I'm thinking more of immediate gastrointestinal responses than mood changes and joint aches.

When we start a Whole 30, most of us have bad physical reactions. We don't assume that W30 is bad for us, though.  We realize that the body needs time to adjust.  How can I know that's not the case with reintroduction foods?  Do you think taking a probiotic supplement with each unfamiliar food might level the playing field?

Here's my question about reintroduction in general, and beans in particular.  If we've been going without these foods for thirty days (or more), the gut bacteria that digest them have probably been starved out.  Isn't that going to give us a reaction even if the food is not problematic?  I'm thinking more of immediate gastrointestinal responses than mood changes and joint aches.

Take a look at this thread, along with the other that is linked in one of the replies.

• 2 weeks later...

I checked out these posts, and it still looks like circular logic to me.  There's the example of vegans reintroducing meat - that's the gut having to adapt, but every other example is explained by the food being harmful.  This is begging the question.

Don't get me wrong.  I'm not looking for a loophole.  If nothing else was true about Whole 30 than the fact that beans, grains and dairy take up space on the plate that could be used for vegetables, that would be reason enough for me to stick with it.  But a good scientist adapts her theory to fit the facts and not the other way around.  

I checked out these posts, and it still looks like circular logic to me.  There's the example of vegans reintroducing meat - that's the gut having to adapt, but every other example is explained by the food being harmful.  This is begging the question.

Don't get me wrong.  I'm not looking for a loophole.  If nothing else was true about Whole 30 than the fact that beans, grains and dairy take up space on the plate that could be used for vegetables, that would be reason enough for me to stick with it.  But a good scientist adapts her theory to fit the facts and not the other way around.  

Maureen, are you doing the vegan version of a Whole 30?

• Moderators

When we start a Whole 30, most of us have bad physical reactions. We don't assume that W30 is bad for us, though.  We realize that the body needs time to adjust.  How can I know that's not the case with reintroduction foods?  Do you think taking a probiotic supplement with each unfamiliar food might level the playing field?

The critical thing that happens over 30 days is that the thick mucosal lining of the stomach that has built up to deal with inflammation from problem foods sloughs off. When problem foods are reintroduced, a person will feel the pain more acutely than before, not because it is not digesting as well as it did before, but because the stomach offers less protection than was available before. 

There is a difference between sluggish digestion and a bad reaction to a reintroduced food. People who are sensitive to beans don't just suffer from having them move through the digestive tract slowly and fail to break down completely along the way. They have pains, bloating, lots of gas, etc. If the issue were simply impaired digestion because of the absence of appropriate gut bacteria, a person might feel a little backed up, but not noticeably painful. 

OMG!! Day 2 of the reintroduction phase and I have a terrible stomach ache and bloating! I have felt bad all day. Yesterday I reintroduced legumes! I am relieved to read that others have experienced discomfort and I am not alone. During my Whole45, I was feeling good. I never imagined that I would have such a strong reaction to legumes. I really didn't eat that many beans yesterday. I had a handful of peanuts and a half cup of chile beans with an otherwise w30 compliant meal plan. I hope I don't have the same reaction to all the food groups. I guess I will know soon enough. This is really eye opening and most surprising. Historically, I have not had many issues with foods at all, at least I wasn't aware of any. But I am aware now. Ouch!

• 4 weeks later...

About a month after reintroduction I tried legumes again but on a much smaller scale.  The reaction was not as bad (if any at all) but I am still cautious about eating them.  I'm now into my second Whole30 and think i might just skip the reintroduction of beans this time.  Totally not worth it!

Archived