Meal one HELP!!

Sami_Rae

We are on day two of our Whole30. I am looking for ideas for meal one that can be made the night before, that also taste good reheated. I am a fan of eggs in the morning and they taste okay, but when I cook veggies in with them---they tend to be soggy. YUCK. We have an early start to our work days and I am often on-call and have to plan ahead to be sure I don't skip any meals.

Thanks!! :)  

• Moderators

I eat cold sauerkraut along with eggs almost every morning. Good sauerkraut from Bubbies or Farmhouse Culture is a whole 'nother world from sauerkraut you may have had back in the day. I normally scramble eggs, but another alternative is boiled eggs. You could even peel them in advance and have a super quick cold breakfast with them. 

What you could do - is make a large egg "casserole" or frittata and then eat it throughout the week.  Just make sure you use enough eggs and protein.

My daily breakfast (which is ready in 15 minutes or less) is the following

on the weekend (or the night before) chop up an onion and sauté it.  Then take a pound of ground meat (it can be any meat really) and season it well as it's browning.  Put it in in a storage container.

Cube a sweet potato or regular potato, cook it in fat of choice and also season well - go to seasoning for me is salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, rosemary and sometimes paprika.  Put it also in a storage container.  Make sure you have some large handfuls of greens on hand - my preference is spinach, but I have used kale and mustard greens too.

The next morning.......

Put some fat into a fry pan - put a large handful portion of cooked ground meat in the pan - let it sizzle.  Then add a handful of the cubed potato.  Combine it a bit more.  Add large handfuls of spinach.  cook until wilted.  Meanwhile whisk 2 or more eggs.  Then add to the mixture - stir it around until all cooked and combined.  I serve it with a large dollop of mayo.

on the weekend (or the night before) chop up an onion and sauté it.  Then take a pound of ground meat (it can be any meat really) and season it well as it's browning.  Put it in in a storage container.

Cube a sweet potato or regular potato, cook it in fat of choice and also season well - go to seasoning for me is salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, rosemary and sometimes paprika.  Put it also in a storage container.  Make sure you have some large handfuls of greens on hand - my preference is spinach, but I have used kale and mustard greens too.

The next morning.......

Put some fat into a fry pan - put a large handful portion of cooked ground meat in the pan - let it sizzle.  Then add a handful of the cubed potato.  Combine it a bit more.  Add large handfuls of spinach.  cook until wilted.  Meanwhile whisk 2 or more eggs.  Then add to the mixture - stir it around until all cooked and combined.  I serve it with a large dollop of mayo.

That sounds wonderful.  I think I'm going to start doing that.  Maybe with some other root veggies in addition to potato.  I've been developing a great fondness for beets and rutabaga. 

What you could do - is make a large egg "casserole" or frittata and then eat it throughout the week.  Just make sure you use enough eggs and protein.

The next morning.......

My go-to breaksfast is very similiar to this except that I just shred a large sweet potato and throw it in a bowl in the fridge still in its raw state. In the morning I toss a handful of potato into the skillet with leftover protein (lately this has been shredded chicken) and then I add chopped (leftover) green beans, broccoli, or wilt down fresh greens. On mornings when I've failed to prep in advance, I'll shred my portion of sweet potato while my skillet is heating up which doesn't really add anything to the prep time.

I also like having soup with my breakfast. The silky gingered zucchini soup from Well Fed 2 is awesome.

I swore throughout the first three weeks of my whole 30 that the first things I was going to reintroduce were so I could eat BREAKFAST again (granola and milk or kefir). Well, I finished my whole 30 three weeks ago, but every morning I still eat: reheated sweet potato (I make as many as my crock pot will hold every weekend, just reheat weekday mornings) usually with ghee and cinnamon; a big pile of greens with fried eggs over the top; and rarely I add in a small piece of fruit. I used to hate over easy eggs, but something about those runny, warm yolks bathing the greens in creamy goodness... Well, it's enough to get me up early on the weekends just to eat!

Archived