Skinny Guy Losing Weight I Can't Afford...

Greetings everyone~

I started the Whole30 and was on for 2 weeks, then we went on vacation and I dropped the diet for a week. We returned and I went on again. I felt so much better from being on it, but meal planning was often a challenge, but the 2 weeks I did prior to our trip helpd me be prepared. The after 3 weeks I had lost 8 pounds or more. I'm 5'10", and have always been skinny, around 130 lbs. AT last check I was 120 lbs! I stopped the diet and am working to gain my weight back. I manage a farm so having strength and stamina is a must. I think if I go back on the diet but am very careful to count my calories, it may work out for the best. Any help anyone could offer would be grand. I'm thinking at least in part, I need more oils, and more avocados (although they are $5 a lb where I live right now!) I am an omnivore and have plenty of fresh veggies, and meat and eggs from our farm, and I live in the highest concentration of organic farms in the US so good food is not hard to find.

Thanks,

Peter.

Hey there...could you help us help you buy giving us some sample days of typical eating from your 3 weeks? My guess is that you are not eating nearly enough of anything especially if you have a highly active job. Were you following our recommended meal template? My guess is that you should be eating towards the upper end of this. If avocados are not affordable for you right now it is perfectly fine to use other fat sources. I almost never eat avocados myself because I'm not a huge fan.

You could eat meals every 2-3 hours if your stomach does not hold enough food for B, L and D. Bacon, eggs, bone broth, marbled steaks, pulled pork, salmon, avocados, macadamia nuts. Your metabolism must be super charged. 

Wish I could borrow your thermostat for awhile but yes, you gotta get some goose flesh back on your bones....goose fat for cooking would be good, too.   Drink tea with clarified butter by the pound.  Add clarified butter all over your cooked vegetables.  Eat white and sweet potatoes with loads of clarified butter on top.   Eat BLT's on lettuce with compliant mayo every day.

You're one that could liberally use macadamia nuts all over fresh greens.  If you have a slight appetite, start slowly but increase your food amounts until it comes roaring back.  

Please don't count calories. Eat more fat - eggs, fatty meats, olives, nuts. Eat larger meals. Eat 4 meals a day. Eat more potatoes. Eat more fruit. I know exactly how to eat to put weight on my body...the hard part is taking it off.  :huh:

• Administrators

I agree, counting calories is not the way to go, especially if you reach your caloric "goal" for the day and are still hungry or are still losing weight.

There is a little twist to the protocol for folks who don't have the weight to spare, take a peek at this article: http://whole30.com/2013/12/keeping-weight-whole30/

Hint: high calorie, nutrient dense smoothies would be permissible for you in order to get your calories in.  

The rest of the Whole30 rules would apply and that includes listening to your body and its signals to ensure that you are eating enough for your context.  As Bethany said, send us a list of your foods and portions, fluids, sleep, exercise and we can see if anything stands out?

+1 to all the advice already given. It's solid and will point you in the right direction. You're definitely in a minority (people who lose too much on whole 30), but all this means is that you need to tailor the program for your unique "fit" and needs. You can still reap all the amazing benefits of fueling your body with just whole foods, but you'll probably need to tweak the meal template to suit your metabolism and needs. So pretty much what all the others have said. :)

I would add that because the nature of your work + life is inherently physical, it creates a second anomaly. You definitely are not the typical whole 30er in terms of "physical output". This isn't a drawback - only that you need to factor in your constant (or consistent) physical output. Your initial reaction of counting calories won't get you the results you want. Try monitoring your meals *and* your energy throughout the day. So if you wrote it up it would look something like this:

M1 (7 am): 4 scrambled eggs with olive oil, 2 cups vegetable hash (bell pepper, onion, kale, sweet potato), 4 strawberries, tea

*11 am, struggled unloading 20 grain bags, felt weak

M2 (12:30 pm): 3 roasted chicken thighs, 1/2 cup sweet potato, 3 cups salad (spinach, 1/2 avocado, carrot, cherry tomatoes)  with oil + vinegar dressing

*4:30, planting/harvesting/walked to check on pecan trees and was starting to feel really hungry

M3 (7 pm): chocolate chili w 1/4 avocado + 1/2 cup butternut squash + 3 cups vegetable stir fry w olive oil (broccoli, mushroom)

This sample day of meals was just something I threw together - though you'll probably notice I created it on the higher end of the template with regard to fats, protein and starchy complex carbs. That might need to be the case for you or maybe you need 3 meals + 2 mini meals because your day is longer and consistently active. The important thing is to be dialed into the feedback your body gives you while you're undertaking your whole 30 - and then tweak/adjust as needed. Just because you're an anomaly doesn't mean that whole 30 can't work and benefit you. It just means that you need to mindfully tailor it to work for you.

Best of luck, Peter!

ps. Sorry for the lame farming scenarios. I'm sure you get my drift. :)

• Moderators

Try this link: http://whole30.com/2013/12/keeping-weight-whole30/

I am a slim, very active runner, and lost almost 10 lbs on my first W30. I wasn't worried, but I really didn't need to lose much, if any. But most of it came back after my body adjusted to eating this way, so it could be a temporary thing for you too.

Try this link: http://whole30.com/2013/12/keeping-weight-whole30/

I am a slim, very active runner, and lost almost 10 lbs on my first W30. I wasn't worried, but I really didn't need to lose much, if any. But most of it came back after my body adjusted to eating this way, so it could be a temporary thing for you too.

Before your runs, do you personally eat breakfast or a pre-running  mini meal?  

Archived