constipation

Hi all, I'm on day 9. Overall I feel like this is a good re-set for me. Im 43 have had Crohns and arthritis for 20 years. For the first 10 years I had many obstructions and hospitalizations,fistulas,abscesses -you name it. In 2001 I perforated. I've had two bowel resections. I have tried a million diets and supplements and "cure-alls". I eventually found a pretty good mix of traditional and natropathic medicine,exercise, massage, diet that I think, has actually made me more healthy than I would otherwise be. I started running in 2008 when I did a Team Challenge event for the Crohns and colitis foundation. Since then I've done more than a dozen half marathons, one full marathon, lots of smaller races and a few triathlons. My diet is pretty good...meaning in the course of 20 years I have learned to listen to my body and identify things that work for me. I haven't had a serious GI flare in over 5 years. Arthritis has been a bigger problem-it gets quite severe in my hands and elbows, and sometimes all my joints hurt. I also get scleritis -eye inflammation. I decided to try this to see if I could get rid of some of the extraneous inflammation. I have also struggled with fatigue more often in the past 2 years or so...This is not the same as being tired, I'm sure many no what I mean! Anyway, I'm on day 9 and doing ok. I am starting to see some changes that I like. However I am terribly backed up. Today I'm in agony with the cramping and it scares me. I realized that I'm not sure when I last had a bowel movement. Staying regular us key to staying in remission so I usually keep track but this got away from me. I am drinking a ton of water, black coffee usually helps, milk of magnesia, heating pad, massage, tried running as exercise usually helps. I need help!

For all 8 days until today (haven't eaten cause I'm so distented, I've had 3 eggs, a little onion and half an avacodo for breakfast. For dinner I've made either hamburger or chicken sauteed with onion, garlic, peppers (all kinds), squash (acorn our spaghetti) or potatoes. Lunch is left over dinner. I snack on berries or carrots (the only raw vegetable I have), or have a banana. Before and after exercising I usually drink some coconut water. It's not fancy, but compliant. Thoughts? Thanks for your help!

Jodie

• Moderators

Have you tried a magnesium supplement beyond the milk of magnesia? Folks around here like Natural Calm (unflavored, only). You could also soak in epsom salts--or drink them or take castor oil if you're really alarmed and feel you need a BM immediately.

I will try to find this, thank you! I am pretty concerned. My history is not something I want to repeat and for me something like this can trigger an immune response that gets out of control quickly. Do you suppose it would be at a grocery store? Or will I need to find a specialty place? Thanks again!

• Moderators

You can order it online or find it at a health food store, most likely. There are other magnesium supplements as well. You might want to do some research. The majority of us--even those who eat Whole30 style long term--have a magnesium deficiency. I take a supplement every day.

It also looks like you're not eating much, if any, greens. Have you considered adding some to your diet?

• Administrators

I haven't been able to tolerate greens for a very long time, unfortunately. I used to love salads and spinach and the like but I get very bloated and birpy/ lots of heart burn. Not worth it.

Have you tried them cooked as opposed to raw? Greens sautéed in the fry pan with a bit of fat and some garlic is delightful!  

I had the same problem for most of my recent whole 30 and found that three eggs per day was too much for me and my constipation disappeared when I temporarily removed them from my diet. Something you could try, especially if the eggs weren't part of your diet before?

Thanks so much for the tips! That did sound delicious, but immediately my body screams, NO! I have tried cooking,juicing...everything I can think of. Too many bad outcomes. If at some point,I see greens and don't have that revolting feeling,I will try them again. For instance I used to get the same internal response when I ate nuts-almonds especially. Then one day I didn't and now I eat them sparingly-though I haven't had any since starting the challenge. Eggs have always been a safe food I enjoy, however I have definitely not eaten so many...I will try moderating their use, maybe every other day.

In other news,I have been able to clear out...now I'm stuck on the potty, lol. Not fun,but Im relieved.I will pay more attention to drinking water and chewing while I eat and go to eggs every other day! And ill be sure to not get behind more than a day...I think it will be okay! Ihope! Thank you again!

• 2 months later...

I'm on day 10 and have been dealing with constipation the whole time so far.... Help!

I am following the program guidelines to the letter, sticking with the meal template, and eating my greens and lots of other veggies every day, both raw and cooked. I am drinking over 2 liters of water a day and taking magnesium (Natural Calm) several times a day. My egg intake is 2-3 a day, which is not much different than my former intake before Whole30. I exercise several times a week. I squat regularly (read another post suggesting this).

I am worried that the animal protein/flesh is stopping me up... I only ate meat in small quantities a few times a week prior to the Whole30, so eating meat several times DAILY is a whole new thing for my body. If this is the problem, will my body adapt eventually?? What if my digestive system is just not designed to handle this much MEAT? Has anyone else had this concern? Any advice?

I have been managing bad episodes with Traditional Medicinals "Smooth Move" tea and a cascara sagrada herbal supplement, but that is not sustainable, nor is it comfortable (forces cramping and evacuation by stimulating the bowel lining... seems kinda counterproductive if I am trying to restore and heal my intestines!). Luckily, I've only had to do that a few times. Enemas are another option, but I'd really rather NOT go there unless truly desperate... also not sustainable as a daily regimen IMHO.

Thanks for any help/guidance!!

• Administrators

I'm on day 10 and have been dealing with constipation the whole time so far.... Help!

I am following the program guidelines to the letter, sticking with the meal template, and eating my greens and lots of other veggies every day, both raw and cooked. I am drinking over 2 liters of water a day and taking magnesium (Natural Calm) several times a day. My egg intake is 2-3 a day, which is not much different than my former intake before Whole30. I exercise several times a week. I squat regularly (read another post suggesting this).

I am worried that the animal protein/flesh is stopping me up... I only ate meat in small quantities a few times a week prior to the Whole30, so eating meat several times DAILY is a whole new thing for my body. If this is the problem, will my body adapt eventually?? What if my digestive system is just not designed to handle this much MEAT? Has anyone else had this concern? Any advice?

I have been managing bad episodes with Traditional Medicinals "Smooth Move" tea and a cascara sagrada herbal supplement, but that is not sustainable, nor is it comfortable (forces cramping and evacuation by stimulating the bowel lining... seems kinda counterproductive if I am trying to restore and heal my intestines!). Luckily, I've only had to do that a few times. Enemas are another option, but I'd really rather NOT go there unless truly desperate... also not sustainable as a daily regimen IMHO.

Thanks for any help/guidance!!

Our recommendation is half an ounce of water per pound of bodyweight.  64 oz (2 litres) works great if you are 128lbs.  If not, up your water.

You can also try a digestive enzyme if you feel that it's because of an increase of animal protein that you aren't used to.

For me - I am good with most proteins but have a terrible hard time digesting pork.  Even now almost 3 years later pork will still give me some issues.

Also sometimes if you are not eating enough starchy veg it can totally block you up too.  Daily sweet potato works wonders for me.

Nearly any time you change your diet significantly, your body is likely to have some sort of reaction...maybe good, maybe bad. Sometimes bad before it gets better. If you just started consuming large amounts of meat/animal protein...particularly red meat, that could be part of the issue. Basically, red meat has a lot of proteins that interact with the nerves of the intestine and have almost a narcotic effect, causing you to be stopped up. Red meat has lots of fat which is good for the satiating aspect, but also takes longer to digest. It also has a lot of tough protein fibers which make it more difficult to digest. It's also typically rich in iron, which can also be constipating. It's just something your gut will have to get used to, and it should eventually unless you have a sensitivity...which some people with IBS do. As with anything abnormal with your body, you have to make the decision on when to go see a physician. I would just make sure you are following the template and not overconsuming meat, red meat in particular. That could be the cause of your issue.

Another often cause is caffeine. While caffeine can help start a bowel movement, it can also cause constipation if you are not properly hydrated. Like mentioned above...through out the 8 eight oz glasses a day. You want to do 1/2oz-oz per pound of body weight. Towards the lower end if you are not working out, towards the higher end if you are. 

Good luck!

Thanks all,

I weigh 125 lbs and drink 2 liters of H2O on less active days, 3 liters on more active days. I don't drink coffee at all.

I haven't eaten red meat on the Whole30 until today... tried a little beef. I NEVER eat red meat normally!

I don't eat pork, except for an occasional single bacon strip once every week or two.

I am following the meal template carefully, erring on the lean side for protein (1 palm-sized serving per meal).

My current protein intake is mainly eggs, chicken, turkey and fish. I don't have IBS.

I am eating a small to moderate portion of starchy veggies daily... sweet potato, parsnip, beet, carrot, yam, etc.

So... I guess the only thing left to try is digestive enzymes.... will go get some tomorrow!

Thanks for the support and great ideas!

Hi again... so I have been trying the digestive enzymes and no luck so far... any other suggestions??

I am on Day 12, and while I plan on continuing for the full 30, this constipation thing MUST get resolved somehow, it sucks!!

• Moderators

I might try increasing the dose of digestive enzymes and take them with each meal, increase the natural calm and only take it before bed, and increase starchy veggie portion, especially with meal 3. In my experience, it does take time, persistence, and patience. I know it's worrying, but being stressed about it doesn't help matters.

• Moderators

Have you tried a magnesium supplement?

Natural Calm is a magnesium supplement that a lot of folks around here tend to use, jmcbn.  

More thoughts for vozelle: Others don't have great results with it. Personally, I take a magnesium supplement from Biotics Research and sometimes I have to take huge doses (like 15 capsules). Other times I need to back way off. I think it has to do with stress and all kinds of other things that change constantly. 

Epsom Salt baths work wonders for some people, too. Just keep experimenting.

• 2 years later...

Archived