Starting April 6th

Ajamay

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello all.  This is my second attempt at Whole 30.  I (mostly) finished one last month, but started over twice and never actually went a whole 30 days.  After camping this weekend, and sharing Easter baskets with the kids (ugh !) I'm ready to start again today and make it all the way through this time.  I've tried almost every diet out there.  The most success I've had was with South Beach, but it took 8 weeks before I started seeing any really body changes, and even then only lost about 10 pounds.  I'm sure I was replacing fat with muscle, but all I had was the scale to go by.  Now, I'm not looking at the scale.  All the last month I felt so wonderful (after the first two weeks that is) and was sleeping better than ever.  Clothes still fit the same, but my body has always been slow to react to changes -- I have not been able to lose a single pound in years, but I do manage to gain a few pounds every month.  I am now 50 pounds overweight, and am turning 50 this month !!!  I had a plan back in November to lose 50 pounds by now (I called it my 50x50 plan) but have not lost any despite my counting calories and exercising.  Recently diagnosed with a nonworking thyroid, I am on my second dosage of medicine.  I surely hope that helps with the weight loss, but the other benefits were so noticable.  Mainly, the hot flashes were gone !  Now I'm struggling with post weekend sugar cravings.  There was a pile of candy on my desk this morning from a well meaning co-worker.  I had to just move it all to someone else's desk.  I don't feel the need to get creative in the kitchen.  I can eat the same thing day after day and it takes a while before I'm bored with it.  Here's what my meal plans usually consisted of:

M1 eggs with onions and peppers, shredded sweet potatoes, turkey bacon

M2 Salad (lettuce, tomato, cucumber, hard boiled egg, avocado) oil and vinegar dressing, tuna (sometimes with homemade mayo)

M3 either fish or chicken grilled, green beans or a salad.

There were some variations, but that was basically my weekday plan.

I started out eating a bunch of fruit, but found I felt rather bloated afterwards, so no I am limiting myself to one fruit serving a day.  After depriving myself of fruit for so long on low-carb diets, I enjoyed the freedom just a little too much.  Lesson learned.  Also nuts !  Got to limit those if I want to see any weight loss.

Today is the day !  I'm ready, and willing, and available to help anyone I can as someone who has been eating this way for a while now.  It's not just a diet anymore - it is my new eating plan that I enjoy and feel good about, and am trying to get the whole family on !  I am not, however, an advanced member, as I could not make it through a full 30 days without slipping up.  I already know that I will have to have a piece of birthday cake on the 24th, but the start over plan does not include sugar as much as carbs, so I'm using some liberties there and not starting over on the 25th, but will extend my 30 days by a few.  Not that I'm planning for failure, but I am planning for life, and I already have a solution for it, which is a huge win for me.

I began my first Whole30 today. I'm going to need all the help I can get- to say that I love food is an understatement! I'm 28 years old and have never had issues with my health or weight. I'm physically active and work out on a regular basis. But I do not eat healthy in the least bit! I am married with two young boys and we eat whatever we want, whenever we want in this house. I'm ready to take control of my eating habits and learn to love food in a new way (not all the sugary yummy things). I am taking the Whole30 challenge with my mom this time around. With the results I hope to achieve, I would like to incorporate this lifestyle into my family's meal planning. Wish me luck!!

I'm also ready to jump back in. I did my first whole30 in November and was amazed that I was able to stick with it.  Since then I've tried to eat paleo-ish but I never make it for any length of time.  My main problem is not having the stuff I need in the house or cooking the kind of food that is compliant.  The other thing that is really challenging is that my work does not allow meat (building is kosher) so I can only bring dairy or parve.  Since dairy is out that means veggies and fruit (also nut free because of allergies) and without the protein source it's not enough to keep me satisfied.  I lost 15 pounds and I've been able to keep it off.  I'd like to stay on the plan and pay more attention to the way I am feeling when on the program.  First time around I really didn't because it never occurred to me that I would actually be able to do it!!

Day one complete for me here in the UK!

M1 left over beef roast, scrambled eggs and lots of veggies

M2 mixed salad with almonds and clementine

M3 beef curry on spinach

Not too bad today, although I know the cravings are coming...felt glad to have started as I've been meaning to do this for a while.  Still feeling quite tentative/nervous.  Luckily I'm off work for a bit so I've got time to play about in the kitchen and make some stuff in advance.  Bit worried about going away on the weekend.  Hotel menus look fine, but wondering how I will manage for the in-between meals - lunch mostly.  Any ideas welcome :)

Hope all went well for you guys today x

They 

Madhatter - what kind of shake did you make, I thought shakes were not compliant?

Keep up the good work everyone!

They are all vegetable shakes with very little fruit. I put the cleanse protein powder and take a fat with it. For example this is what I had today

Decaf green tea

Cucumber mint shake: cucumber, spinach, mint, chia seeds, cleanse protein powder, coconut oil

Mixed greens with turkey and vinaigrette (oil, balsamic, mustard, salt & pepper), ½ apple

Kale shake: kale, swiss chard, celery, mango, mint, & parsley, cleanse protein powder, coconut oil

Kale shake: kale, swiss chard, celery, mango, mint, & parsley, cleanse protein powder, coconut oil

Turkey, brussle sprouts and asparagus

I can't have eggs, nuts, tomatoes, onions, garlic, and some others I can't think of now because I can't tolerate them

Today was pretty rough for me I am also getting off of caffeine too so tonight I am starting to get a headache. I managed to get through the day though even with my family having lasagna and texas toast. I am making bone broth as we speak. I know I will need it in the next few days. I hope every one did great.  

Morning.

I was ok yesterday. I actually expected more headache after having eating bread and chocolate galore over the Easter break. I still need to get my self organised with menu plans and shopping. 

Iḿ looking forward to sharing this and very much want to accomplish the Whole30 . My aim is to eventually cut out bread and sugar for good. We'll see about the rest. 

xx

Wow Heatherglick, that would be tough not being able to bring meat for lunch, that would be a challenge!

I am doing great today except caffeine withdraw headache. I went ahead and had a small cup this morning. Going to have to ween myself off slowly, I will try to go without tomorrow. My intentions were to quit coffee a couple of weeks prior to W30, but this did not pan out. 

My coworkers are doing their best to sabotage me today. There is a pie in the fridge and donuts on the table. I will not mention the rest...they are upset because I usually make most of the breakfasts here, and now I am not. They do not like my compliant egg scrambles. Does anyone here get support from their coworkers?

Now I am ready for a couple of hard boiled eggs and veggies for breakfast.

Stay strong everyone!

I struggle with not having my cup of tea with a little milk Justin. 

Rotten coworkers ! lol. My co worker is my husband and he's good at eating more or less the same as me ( apart from Meal 1 hehe. He can't get his head round that )  BUT he does like his cereal bars. Normally I'm not tempted but sometimes I've attacked them just because they were there and I was having a "sweet craving" Maybe I should tell him to hide them. 

This is quite a large group, that is great - I know we will all be around on May 6th feeling and looking better than ever!

Plan for today:

B: egg/ kale casserole with avocado

L: turkey, avocado and salad

Snack if needed: olives, veggies and ham

D: chicken curry with cauli rice

• Administrators

They 

They are all vegetable shakes with very little fruit. I put the cleanse protein powder and take a fat with it. For example this is what I had today

Decaf green tea

Cucumber mint shake: cucumber, spinach, mint, chia seeds, cleanse protein powder, coconut oil

Mixed greens with turkey and vinaigrette (oil, balsamic, mustard, salt & pepper), ½ apple

Turkey, brussle sprouts and asparagus

I can't have eggs, nuts, tomatoes, onions, garlic, and some others I can't think of now because I can't tolerate them

Hi EJSmadhatter,

Can you elaborate on the "cleanse protein powder"? It is very, very rare to find a protein powder that is not dairy based AND does not have some sort of sweetener in it.

It really doesn't look like you're eating enough, as far as I can see you are only eating two solid-food meals per day and then supplementing with these smoothies.  We really want you to eat real food three times a day, this isn't a restrictive "diet". Liquid food doesn't provide the same signals to your body and ultimately doesn't allow your hormones and blood sugar to rebalance as they should.

This is my first Whole30 and while my diet wasn't awful and I feel generally great with lots of energy, I had gained ALOT of weight after moving from Houston to Phoenix for my husbands job and HATING it for the first 8 months (still dislike it but don't hate it!)

I am training again for a Full Marathon.  I have done 15 1/2 marathons but this is my first Full in 6 years....i have till October 25th but need to get rid of at least 20 pounds before I can get into the down and dirty training...

Im worried about carbs and can't tolerate squash at all....suggestions???

Hey All - I'm Lena out of Phoenix AZ.  I kind of fell into doing a Whole 30 again, I've never completed it successfully but I was talking to one of my fellow sorority sisters about the idea and she just said all of a sudden that she would be down for it and so here I am, Day 1 is today April 7th.  I'm excited to have an accountability buddy that is local and I can share recipes with and have to commiserate with at events when we can't eat the food.  I can't wait to have my face clear up again and start losing some of the weight and get my energy back.  :)

I started my second Whole30 yesterday.  My first was in October and it was life changing.

For the first time in a long time I ate with no regrets.  I ate compliantly and looked forward to every meal.  I had reached a place where meal times were dreaded because I was not happy with the results of my eating habits.  I had lost control and each meal meant I was headed somewhere unhealthier than I already was, including the meals I was skipping.

Whole30 changed my relationship with food and I am so thankful for that.  Since October I ate mostly compliant meals.  I made it through the holidays and winter vacations without going completely off the rails.  The last 2 weeks however have been a different story.  So here I am ready to get down to business and regain control.

Here's to the next 30 days, I hope everyone here finds success!!!

Hi all! I'm Sam from Columbus, OH.  I just started my first Whole30 yesterday!  I know a couple people who have done the Whole30 recently, so in an effort to combat some stomach issues and to kick of some weight loss I decided to go for it.  I have a friend who also started yesterday.  Excited to see how it goes and to start feeling better!

Today I am still nauseous and very tired. I at least didn't get a really bad headache but the day isn't over. I have not really exercised yet but I am doing some stretching which has been helpful. I am having bad cravings today and I am having to fight back the temptation to go out and cheat. But I had my chicken soup with cabbage, parsnips, and butternut squash.

Good afternoon all! Yesterday went really well for me, aside from the sight headache from caffeine withdrawal. I did the rest of my shopping so have everything I need to stay on track. I'm going to do some food prep this afternoon since I go back to work tomorrow. Since I've never really cooked with butter, using the ghee had actually made some of the meals feel a bit indulgent, lol, although I'm sure that I'll be sick of it soon! Yesterday's meals:

M1: grilled chicken breast, sauteed zucchini, strawberries

M2: Grilled chicken breast, sauteed zucchini, small apples with cashew butter (yum!)

M3: Adelle's chicken apple sausage, sauteed green beans, spinach and mushrooms, small sweet potato, strawberries

I feel like I ate a little too much fruit yesterday, so I am going to cut back today. I also drank a ton of water! I didn't really miss my diet coke yet, but really missed my glass of milk with dinner last night. Today's starting out well!

How about a check in from everyone? Let us know how you are going, what struggles you are having, and how we as a team can help. Healthy eating everyone!

Hi I started yesterday as well.  This will be my first Whole30 and first time on any sort of forum.  I have been doing the plan practically perfect for the last few weeks for practice while reading the book.  That way when I screwed up, it wouldn't really count!  .....and I had a party to attend last Saturday!  But yesterday was the first official day.  

I was wondering if anyone else has tried clarifying butter?  I did it yesterday with grass-fed butter and even strained it 3 times to get all the milk proteins out but after I ate dinner, I didn't feel so great.  I think I might stay away from it for the rest of the month to be safe.  Use the ghee that I bought at the store, even though it isn't grass-fed or organic.  

I am also expecting a shipment tonight of pastured beef, pork, and chicken and free range eggs from a local farm so I am looking forward to that!  I already get organic veggies and fruit every two weeks from another farm.

Hey, All.  My name is Cris, and this is my second time through the W30.  Just started yesterday, and was thinking, "Woo-hoo! What a breeze!"  Then my brain seemed to turn off at about 1:30 this afternoon.  I teach high school, and let me just tell you, teaching with no brain is a scary thing - or maybe it should be!  My day doesn't end until 9 pm tonight, and I have lots of fun things to do...I want to be able to enjoy the evening, so I am a bit worried, but totally committed to W30.   I drank a big glass of water, and turned the AC on, and am feeling a bit better - it also helps to get on the forum!

My big hope for this time around is to get  rid of some chronic inflammation - right shoulder, left foot - that have kept me from doing what I want to do.   A little more exercise should help, too!

Archived