accidentally saw current weight

PainterB

Day 15: I had results letter yesterday from a doctor's visit. He stated my weight in the course of the letter...I was SOOO disappointed. I was VERY careful at the visit to step on the scale with my back to the numbers and to tell the nurse that I didn't want to know the reading. But this number in the letter showed NOT ONE BIT of weight loss.

I had been feeling a little bit better in my clothes and happy with the 3 meals a day keeping the hunger wolves at bay. BUT. I am feeling such a sense of letdown today just over that one number. I've read the "scale is not your friend" and the W30 timeline and the daily emails to no avail...I still feel like my hopes have been trampled on, even though weight loss was not my primary reason for doing this. And maybe that's part of it: because of some medical issues, I thought this would help, and so far I really can't tell that it has. I still wake up at 2 or 3 in the morning, often for hours. I don't feel like my energy is going through the roof and I'm kind of mad at the fact that what little energy I do have is spent cooking all these meals and then cleaning up the d*** kitchen.

Whew. Sorry to be so crabby. That's what one weight reading did. Thanks, doc.

I shall persevere, however. This too shall pass.

A gentle reminder that this is a 30 day program. http://whole30.com/2014/01/whole30-tough-love/

Also, if you've had medical issues for a while, it's not likely that 15 days is enough to turn them around. 30 may not be enough either.

I don't say this to discourage you: only to set your expectation for a marathon vs. a sprint.

Keep nourishing yourself, be gentle with yourself, use bulk cooking, the crockpot, and have some quick go to meals to simplify meal prep.

And celebrate the non-scale victories like feeling better in your clothes.

Day 15: I had results letter yesterday from a doctor's visit

Can I just point something out here? Day 15/30 - you got a letter yesterday - so day 14/30 - which must have been posted *at least* a day earlier - so day 13/30 - from results of tests which must have been taken *at least* a day earlier than that - so day 12.... See where I'm going here? When you stood on those scales you weren't even half way through the program. What did you honestly expect in 12 days given that you have had medical issues for some time?

You have to be realistic. Stop wishing your 30 days/life away, stop living life in the fast lane. Slow down & focus on what you *have* achieved so far, and take each day one day at a time to see further improvements.

It took what? 30-40 odd years for you to get to where you were PRE whole30 - it will take *at least* 30 days to get to that better place you've got your heart set on.... As you said yourself - This too shall pass.

Day 15: I had results letter yesterday from a doctor's visit

Can I just point something out here? Day 15/30 - you got a letter yesterday - so day 14/30 - which must have been posted *at least* a day earlier - so day 13/30 - from results of tests which must have been taken *at least* a day earlier than that - so day 12.... See where I'm going here? When you stood on those scales you weren't even half way through the program. What did you honestly expect in 12 days given that you have had medical issues for some time?

You have to be realistic. Stop wishing your 30 days/life away, stop living life in the fast lane. Slow down & focus on what you *have* achieved so far, and take each day one day at a time to see further improvements.

It took what? 30-40 odd years for you to get to where you were PRE whole30 - it will take *at least* 30 days to get to that better place you've got your heart set on.... As you said yourself - This too shall pass.

You remind me of the good ole days....the half has not been told how much that tough love helped me.  I long for those tough love, suck it up, buttercup days.  Those are the days you remember with fondness...stay off the scale, quit tracking your points, calories, macros, micros, weight, no smoothies, no snacking, no SWYPO's.

Painter B - I did/said the same things way back when. yes.gif

You remind me of the good ole days....the half has not been told how much that tough love helped me.  I long for those tough love, suck it up, buttercup days.

I've never been one for pandering to people's needs. My mum didn't do it to me, I don't do it to my kids, and I certainly won't do it for anyone else. I just say it like it is - no hidden agenda... People may not think it, but I've always got their best interests at heart!

I think above and beyond anything else, I have been absolutely amazed at how 'scale-addicted' I must be.  I have had more urges to "slip" by getting on the scale than I have had to eat chocolate or something.  To be pushed off my emotional equilibrium, such as it is, by a measuring device is just weird.

Thanks for all the feedback and for the link from Rebe_J.  Inspiring.

I think above and beyond anything else, I have been absolutely amazed at how 'scale-addicted' I must be.  I have had more urges to "slip" by getting on the scale than I have had to eat chocolate or something.  To be pushed off my emotional equilibrium, such as it is, by a measuring device is just weird.

Thanks for all the feedback and for the link from Rebe_J.  Inspiring.

PainterB - I come from a family of WW Legacy lifers which is ironic.   Some of them have been faithfully stepping on the scale every day for over 45 years now.  Most (almost all) are no closer to their goal than when their practice first started.   They may have hit it a few times or bounced off of it with a glancing blow but the scales have not helped their weight stability.  Breaking the cycle of weighing may take longer than 30 days but we all know where we're at.   Our clothes tell us.

I'm sorry you saw your weight when you have been working so hard to avoid it! If anything, this can be a good reminder WHY we need to avoid the scales for these 30 days - it can really take the wind our of our sails.

I'm on Day 10, and I'm really struggling with letting go of the scale. I know in my brain to JUST STOP, but I am having a really hard time. Like you, PainterB, it's been the only rule I've been tempted to break. And I have. A lot. Today I jammed my scale in the linen closet, but I'm tempted to throw it away. It just makes me feel bummed out and isn't moving me toward success at all! 

Hang in there...I'm with you in this struggle!

I'm a recovering second generation WeightWatchers Lifetime Member. I have seen what the number on the scale can do to one's emotional balance. Joy, Anger, Fear, Relief, Denial, Shame, Guilt. And more.  Even now, 3 years into Paleo/W30 type eating, I hear the scale calling me.

I'm a recovering second generation WeightWatchers Lifetime Member. I have seen what the number on the scale can do to one's emotional balance. Joy, Anger, Fear, Relief, Denial, Shame, Guilt. And more.  Even now, 3 years into Paleo/W30 type eating, I hear the scale calling me.

Rebe, it takes awhile to shake it off, shake it off, shake it off.  My WW lifer peeps starve before the weigh in and all go out afterwards for lunch as a reward. They're all so completely relieved like they passed on their report card. The weigh in gives them a clean slate, (conscience), somehow.... then it's back to the uzhe, usual behavior.

Throw your scales away, women. Throw them the heck away. They are instruments of oppression. They lie. They tell us our worth is based on our relationship with gravity. They tell us our brains don't count, our thoughts don't matter, our feelings are untrue, and our health is a myth. They tell us we're morally better the closer to invisible we become.

Be big. Be strong. Be here. Take up space on the planet. And throw your scale away.

So many good points and moving testimonials. The one thing I can add is that I understand both the emotional and psychological appeal of the scale. Undertaking a whole 30 involves work, upheaval, a huge amount of change *and* a lot of cooking. All of this is done with the best of intentions: a healthier and happier you. But you want to make sure that all the work is "on track", that it's going towards something - and that's where our brain/body tells us to weigh ourselves. The scale becomes the carrot in our reward system.

But a carrot or number on a scale isn't a full or genuine testament to your health. It's a one dimensional number without context. So instead of using the scale and your weight as your carrot/reward system, pay attention to all the signals and markers your body shares with you. Your energy, your focus, your mood, your hunger, your attitude, your appetite. I think you'll find that the more you listen, the better attuned and healthier you'll be. And that's one of the *hardest* lessons to learn while undertaking a whole 30 - to trust your body instead of a number.

And honestly, the scale and weight will move if everything else is aligned. It may not happen on the timeline you expect, but if you keep steady and remember to focus and listen to your body, I'm sure it will come. I'm rooting for you!

I have a doctor's appointment early next month.  One of the things I need to do is a biometric screening for my health insurance.  That *requires* a number.  Know what I'm going to tell my doc?  Make it up.  Seriously.  I haven't weighed in probably 2+ yrs...can't actually remember the last time I did.  My clothes tell me that I'm actually a bit smaller these days.

So I figure the conversation will go something like this:

Nurse:  Step on the scale so we can get a weight.

Me:  Nope, not weighing.  Make up a number.

Nurse:  We need to weigh you.

Me:  No, you don't.  You can judge my size by looking at me.  Pick a number.

Nurse:  But we have to have a weight.

Me:  No, really, you don't.  My labs will tell you if I'm healthy or not.  I work out, I lift weights, I ride my horses...pick a number.  We know I should lose some weight, but my life isn't about weight loss these days.  Pick a number.

I can even tell them...I weigh probably around 195 right now.  I should weigh around 155-175...my lowest adult weight, EVER, was 175 and that was after a year of eating 600-800 cal/day, working out ~3 hrs/day, 6 days/week, and finishing the year severely anemic.  No, sorry, doc, I'm NOT going to let you judge my health with a number on the scale...

• Administrators

Throw your scales away, women. Throw them the heck away. They are instruments of oppression. They lie. They tell us our worth is based on our relationship with gravity. They tell us our brains don't count, our thoughts don't matter, our feelings are untrue, and our health is a myth. They tell us we're morally better the closer to invisible we become.

Be big. Be strong. Be here. Take up space on the planet. And throw your scale away.

I have copied this and pasted it onto my own computer.  I will be pulling this link/quote out every time someone says that they have weighed and feel miserable/happy/depressed/elated.

Never, ever has a truer word been spoken, my friend!

• Administrators

I have a doctor's appointment early next month.  One of the things I need to do is a biometric screening for my health insurance.  That *requires* a number.  Know what I'm going to tell my doc?  Make it up.  Seriously.  I haven't weighed in probably 2+ yrs...can't actually remember the last time I did.  My clothes tell me that I'm actually a bit smaller these days.

So I figure the conversation will go something like this:

Nurse:  Step on the scale so we can get a weight.

Me:  Nope, not weighing.  Make up a number.

Nurse:  We need to weigh you.

Me:  No, you don't.  You can judge my size by looking at me.  Pick a number.

Nurse:  But we have to have a weight.

Me:  No, really, you don't.  My labs will tell you if I'm healthy or not.  I work out, I lift weights, I ride my horses...pick a number.  We know I should lose some weight, but my life isn't about weight loss these days.  Pick a number.

I can even tell them...I weigh probably around 195 right now.  I should weigh around 155-175...my lowest adult weight, EVER, was 175 and that was after a year of eating 600-800 cal/day, working out ~3 hrs/day, 6 days/week, and finishing the year severely anemic.  No, sorry, doc, I'm NOT going to let you judge my health with a number on the scale...

Please keep us posted on how that visit goes!  

Not helpful right now, but just a story: many years ago I had recently broken up with my scale when I had a dr.  check up. I told the nurse who was taking down some basics before the appt that I didn't want to see my weight. Could I just face the other way? She rolled her eyes but said yes - and then she shouted the number across the room so that someone else could write it down. ugh

I love that scaleaddicts-part2 post that Rebe_J linked to above. Has everyone taken a look? It's a fantastic before and after of a woman. She's exactly the same weight in each picture but it's a huge difference in size, proportions, and - you can gather from the text -  strength and happiness.

Archived