Dirty Thirty "Roundup and Ride"!

dcducks1

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

14725_5126_Yellowstone_Park_Lake_Lodge_m

We're out in the boat now, MegaG.  Your lil baby eyes are getting sleepy and you're snoozin' on me.  The waves are lapping up against the boat and we're rocking you to sleep.  The water is sparkling like bright shimmering diamonds in the summer sun.   All of your cares from yesterday have drifted away.   We'll wake you up when it's time for the Afternoon Tea Party.

Wow! I missed some excellent posts last night and this morning. You ladies are a wealth of wonderful and helpful information. I love visiting with yous. 

Welcome GAgal! I lived in Kennesaw, Sandy Springs and Duluth over a 7 year period! This really is a great group!

SpinSpin - those sunflowers are adorable! I totally agree with keeping your hands busy. That's why I love beading. 

MeadowLily - "You have the right to..." Best post ever and you have so many good ones! I might need to a do Top 10 of MeadowLily posts! :) 

Dreamweavers - great job on better choices! When do you 'officially' start again?

MeGa - you're so sweet for mentioning me. Thank you! Have you thought of having a sweet potato or other starchy veg (turnips come to mind too... I have a list somewhere) in Meal 3?

We are trolling along the lake when J announces she's queezy forgot her hat Then I put my hood on and gave her mine She said no thanks Dream needs it more Kelli and LissFish are laughing so hard they're ya know needing to sit a spell Meadow is just about to pull out an umbrella but the weather has changed and we need to get off the lake now GAgal didn't sign up in time SoinSpin was workin anyway

Accounts of Sounds from Campers Near the Lake

The sounds came out of nowhere. One moment, a party of campers would be drinking in the early-morning peace around Yellowstone or Shoshone Lakes. The next, they’d hear a strange sound in the distance—variously described as “metal cables crashing against each other,” “ethereal organ music,” and “the sound of ducks in flight,” among other descriptions. It would grow louder and more intense until it seemed to be coming from right overhead, then rapidly fade away. None of the many 19th- and 20th-century travelers who wrote accounts of this “lake music” were fully able to explain it. Curiously enough, neither can anyone around today.

“It’s been documented since at least 1890,” says Whittlesey, the park historian. Engineer Hiram M. Chittenden made note of the lake sounds in his 1895 book, The Yellowstone National Park: Historical and Descriptive: “They seem to occur in the morning, and to last for only a moment. They have an apparent motion through the air … They resemble the ringing of telegraph wires or the humming of a swarm of bees.”

Historian-Lee-Whittlesey-Lake_YouTube_68

Yellowstone Historian Lee Whittlesey on Lake Yellowstone. Photo: YouTube

Even the Hayden Expedition Heard Weird Sounds

Geologist Frank H. Bradley, a member of the 1871 Hayden Expedition, left a similar account: “While getting breakfast, we heard every few moments a curious sound, between a whistle and a horse whine,” he wrote. “The sound increased in force, and it now became evident that gusts of wind were passing through the air above us, though the pines did not as yet indicate the least motion in the lower atmosphere.”

Experts have struggled to explain these bizarre acoustics. A 1930 issue of Popular Science magazine cited “mild earthquakes, their sounds possibly magnified in underground caverns” and a temperature inversion above the lake affecting how the air conducts sound. Ranger Naturalist Neil Miner suggested in a 1937 park publication that “horizontally moving whirlpools of air” were to blame, formed by air flowing down from nearby high peaks. But none of these hypotheses have fully satisfied experts, and the phenomena remains officially unexplained—and likely to remain that way, as reports of the lake music dwindled after the mid-’60s, says Whittlesey. But, he adds, “That doesn’t mean that nobody’s heard it [since then].” Perhaps the lake music still plays to bewildered campers, who shake their heads and brush it off—unaware that visitors have puzzled over the very same sounds for hundreds of years.

Get closer… Paddle to one of the boat-in campsites along the southern shore of Yellowstone Lake. Rise early and keep your ears open—who knows if the lake music might play for you?

We're back.  LissFish heard them.  She's wired for sound.   I've heard them.  We look at each other and nod our heads. 

Yep, Yep! I have wolf ears... aaahhhoooo! Wolf is my Father's clan and the clan that named me in the Longhouse. 

LOL MeGa... Bullwinkle sounds are much more distinct. You would've heard him. :)

GAgal - I attach mine by clicking on "More Reply Options" in bottom right corner. Under the reply box is a place to attach photos. They don't pop up like Mega's though. They have to be clicked on. I don't use photobucket so I can't hyperlink my photos in. :(

Thanks for the tour it's a mysteriously beautiful place Are you sure it wasn't her Bullwinkle she heard?

Might've been Bullwinkle.   We'll  just say yes and smile...she really is wired for sound.   We don't want to give anyone the heebie jeebies. We  shake it off and look back over our shoulders at the Lake.   We can't think about that right now....After all, Tomorrow is Another Day.   We're thinking about supper. 

That's great, MegaG.  Remember, no yellow bellied lily livered sapsuckers allowed.  You signed up for the Roundup and Ride.  No sissies here.   Sassy, yes.  Sissies, nooooooo. 

We're compliant without complaint.   

I'm fixin' to start cleanin' and riddin'.   I've got to get into those closets and make room.  It's been verra verra relaxin' to shoot the breeze.

If dcducks was on here, he'd tell me to get my rear in gear and kick it up a few notches.   Ooooo, cleaning house and doing the dishes every day isn't nearly as much fun being with the Wranglers at the Hitching Post Inn.   Crap O dear...get it in gear!   

Archived