Dirty Thirty "Roundup and Ride"!

dcducks1

Here are a couple pictures of my rug hooked sunflowers -- they need to get put on their rusty bed springs -- which will happen in the next day or so! I have started on the 3rd one today -- very addictive!! They were hooked with #6 cut wool (6/32 inch wide strips) and hooked onto Monks Cloth (an even weave fabric) and the petals are done in strips between 1/2 and 3/4 of an inch wide using a 'proddy style' to attach them. REALLY pleased with how they turned out!  This is one of those things that you can't eat Trail Mix or Larabars while doing  :P or even a foot long everythingincludingthekitchensink sub

The reddish one has been dubbed Fiesta by hubby and the yellow/brown one is just simply Golden 

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have started carrying my own salad dressing with me. Had nandos take off the chick peas etc and add avacado, and extra chicken. 2 oz of chicken was not going to cut it as i was hungry! so had a whole avacado and 4 oz of chicken with the kale salad. my mom was upset as she got the regular way they make it and didnt care for it. they took pity on her and made it for her like mine. LOL!

SpinSpin, that is hilarious.  You are an artist. 

GAgal - if you want to visit with this pack....feel free to do so.    Some have their own food logs for monitoring food choices.   This thread has members in varying stages of a Whole 30. We're all working on our 'Mind Reset' along with the Food Reset of a Whole 30 Days.  

It's been a year for me and SpinSpin has been here 3 years.

The past is gone.  It went by like dusk to dawn.  

This is the best group! They support you in good times and ideas.

Would not have made it to whole forever without Meadow. Spin. Jmcbn. Lissfish. Mega.

Very generous with their time and ideas.

If I forgot anyone I will mention you tomorrow.

Reflected about the sub eating woman. There sure are plenty of people who don't want you to succeed and will undermine in subtle and no so subtle ways.

Food freedom is the goal.

Spin- great sunflowers - they look real

When I did a Slow Roll Reintro....after I ate bread, I sobbed and sobbed and sobbed.   I sat in my bathroom staring at the sink.   I was like a cat transfixed by its' water bowl.   I was motionless.  Then I read this about Dallas H.  and I thought...me, too.   

Does wheat make any of the rest of you sad?

My Whole30 Lessons I learned a lot about myself through that first “round.” I learned that there is sugar in everything. I learned that, without the convenience of protein bars and shakes, I had to plan ahead a lot more to have good food around when I was hungry (which was often). I learned – through the systematic reintroduction process – that wheat makes me sad.  Like, actually sad and apathetic for 48 hours or so.

- See more at: http://whole30.com/2015/03/dallas-whole30/#sthash.1rlDR2QU.dpuf

http://whole30.com/2015/03/dallas-whole30/

Yes you are all wonderful we really gel like ML

Welcome GAgal (I almost used a name like that really!) you are going to be fine here

Dream you are ok keep it up!

Kelli thanks but no credit due here I'm still learning too

SpinSpin your sunflowers are A r tee st -ful they really are beautiful a good job is so satisfying

LissFish rest up you are needed in the pet aisle

Meadow mentor friend words can't say You rock

Jmcbn hope you are asleep and never dream of Italian olives

It's a good day

Yes you are all wonderful we really gel like ML

Welcome GAgal (I almost used a name like that really!) you are going to be fine here

Dream you are ok keep it up!

Kelli thanks but no credit due here I'm still learning too

SpinSpin your sunflowers are A r tee st -ful they really are beautiful a good job is so satisfying

LissFish rest up you are needed in the pet aisle

Meadow mentor friend words can't say You rock

Jmcbn hope you are asleep and never dream of Italian olives

It's a good day

This is delightful.  We hope you had a good day and that all is well with the folkaronies.  I'm posting that article here.   It's good. 

The Hidden Dangers of ‘Skinny Fat’

March 10, 2014 Updated: March 12, 2015 10:13 AM ET

131983071.jpg?quality=65&strip=color&w=1Getty Images Doctors say we are focusing too much on weight, but thin people can sometimes carry the most dangerous kind of fat—and not know it

When Elizabeth Chanatry was 16 years old, she was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. You’d never know it by looking at the 5-foot-3-inch tall, 117-pound 19-year-old, but even Chanatry admits that she’s not as fit as she could be. “My sister and I are not toned, but we are thin,” she says. Chanatry has genetics to thank for her physique, but also for her diabetes—her older sister and father both suffer from the disease too. For as long as she could remember Chanatry drank Diet Coke and asked for sugar-free syrup to avoid too much of the sweet stuff, but when she started to get symptoms for diabetes, she knew it hadn’t been enough.

Obesity is a serious epidemic in the U.S., but the problem, doctors say, is that we are putting too much weight on weight. When the CDC released obesity numbers last week, we cheered that the rate had fallen so drastically for children ages 2 to 5, even though obesity rates overall remained relatively flat. People with stellar metabolisms and magical genes may not look the part, but they can have the same medical issues as an obese person: type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and out-of-control blood sugar. It should be obvious, but a culture obsessed with weight doesn’t always remember that appearances of health can be skin deep.

“I see these people all the time,” says Dr. Daniel Neides, medical director at Cleveland Clinic’s Wellness Institute and Chanatry’s doctor. “On the outside they look incredibly healthy, but on the inside they’re a wreck.” You likely know someone who’s “skinny fat.” They never eat vegetables, love steak, and haven’t exercised since eighth grade gym class—and yet they’re still thin. Perhaps it’s you. But while some of us are envious of our svelte peers who don’t count calories or think twice about having a donut for breakfast, doctors say we shouldn’t be. Skinny fat is a real, and remarkably common, phenomenon—deadly even.

Dr. Neides cites a male patient who, at 46 years old, was a normal weight and what’s generally considered healthy BMI. But when he decided to stop taking his blood pressure medication, he had a stroke that has since left him wheelchair bound.

A 2008 study found that about one-fourth of U.S. adults with normal weight have some form of an unhealthy heart, like high blood pressure or cholesterol. Older adults with normal BMIs (well-known to be an imperfect measurement) but high levels of body fat are at greater risk for cardiovascular disease and death than previously realized, according to a 2013 study published in theAmerican Journal of Cardiology. More recently, a 2014 report on people with “normal weight obesity”—normal BMI, high body fat—found that they have a significantly higher risk of metabolic problems and death from these diseases than any other group.

“When you’re eating a diet high in sugar and processed foods, it causes visceral fat storage, and that can lead to all sorts of risk factors of being overweight,” says Dr. Mark Hyman, author of The Blood Sugar Solution 10-Day Detox Diet. Sometimes a person may not have a lot of fat stored up overall, but what they do have is the most dangerous kind. So a person may not be heavy, but their organs could be coated with visceral fat, whose origins, researchers recently discovered, are genetically different from that of subcutaneous fat. This can cause metabolic syndrome—when someone has several conditions, like high blood pressure and high blood sugar, that put him or her at a high risk for heart disease, diabetes, or stroke.

While the U.S. continues to battle the bulge, many of us are forgetting about the importance of also getting fit. The reaction to a 2012 study that showed that overweight people can be fit goes to the heart of our misunderstanding about fitness. “Everyone got really fixated on the people who were obese but not metabolically sick due to high fitness levels, but what was lost in the message was that we had plenty of people with a BMI below 25 but were unfit and at a high risk,” says Dr. Timothy Church, lead author of the study.

Weight is just one clue doctors look to for an indicator of poor health. But to see what’s really going on, they have to peek under the hood. “The scale is not a proxy for your health,” says Dr. Church, director of the Laboratory of Preventive Medicine at Pennington Biomedical Research Center in Baton Rouge. More research on lifestyle changes is showing remarkable impacts on chronic disease. A 2013 study found that people at a high risk for developing type 2 diabetes could avoid the disease by developing healthier diets, exercising daily, managing stress, and quitting smoking.

It’s another reminder of the importance of the yearly exam, where doctors can screen for measures like high blood pressure and cholesterol and, if something looks off, they can also screen for C-reactive proteins (CRP), which are indicators for inflammation. High inflammation levels account for the majority of diseases that affect Americans.

For her part, Chanatry has no illusions about weight being an indicator of health. “I’ve never associated [diabetes] with obese people because it’s always been a part of my life. I’ll always have it. People look at us and think we’re healthy, but they don’t know.”

MeadowLily thanks for posting that here Someone posted and I found it on another thread and posted to MObesity

It's so true! I see lots of people waking around looking like that with junk food in hand to mouth

If they really knew

And yes I'm thru with wheat It does make me sad I'm sorry you had that experience but we live and (some of us) learn like you

I understand This experience is eye opening

Goodnight MegaG.   Goodnight all.  I really don't like it...today is shorter than yesterday.  That brings us that much closer to fall and winter.   I live with 9 months of winter and I don't want this summer to end.

Oooooo,  I don't want to see the days grow shorter.   I love summer!  happiness-crazy-rabbit-emoticon.gif?1292 Let's make every day special until the first snowfall.    dance-with-me-crazy-rabbit-emoticon.gif?           Then we can blubber.    boohoo-crazy-rabbit-emoticon.gif?1292793

Up again at 3 with low blood sugar sweats. Dinner was a whole zuchinni stuffed with beef and other veggies including olives. Used avocado oil on each zuchinni while they baked. One cup of mixed berries with unsweetened coconut.

Ok....I get the fruit as being an issue. Do I need to have a bedtime snack?

I don't want to go backwards and would appreciate any advice. Ate about 6 macadamia nuts but noww I have been up for an hour and I'm getting! Hungry with growling.

Kelli I'd maybe try to eat meal three a little earlier, then eat a mini meal an hr or so before bed - proteins & fats (& preferably veggies) - see how you go with that... Nuts really aren't something you want to be snacking on - hard on the gut & feeding that sugar dragon.

MeGa - LOL no olive dreams last night!!  :D 

SpinSpin - I LOVE those sunflowers........... gorgeous!! And thanks for the mayo tip. I managed to salvage it into some kind of salad dressing which will work for me.

Meadow - wheat makes me sad too. And I like being happy. Wheat and all grain are history - life for me is much better that way.

Lissfish - nice hike pics - We have a new coastal hike path opening close by soon - can't wait to get out on it with my boys.

Dreamweaver - good job on the salad dressing. And good job that your mum got as good as you in the end. And those dental trips - never had problems with my boys at the dentist, but the hairdresser was a whole different story! I remember taking my first born while he was sleeping in his pram as a toddler. The girl managed to cut one side before he woke up screaming - I had to leave & come back that afternoon to get the other half done  :P 

GAgal - welcome!! 

Oh, and as I'm sure you'll have guessed my broadband is back up and running - woohoo!!!

Archived