Starting May 11th

Debzella

Day 23! Hi Robbs! Hi all! Perking along…. I can't believe there's only one week left… I can't wait to weigh in. My body loves to hang on to extra weight, so I'm excited to see if I've lost anything. I look better and my clothes are fitting better, as in nothing is so tight that I might put an eye out with my exploding elastic. I started the Whole30 because I was refusing to buy clothes in a bigger size, but it was reaching the crisis point. lol. So that's better now.  :)

I love coffee too! I have about 2-3 cups in the morning. I used to drink it all day long, but I can't do that anymore. It keeps me awake all night. 

Bricky - Do you have Celestial Seasonings tea in Australia? They have a Bengal Spice that is really good. I like it at night. It's very warming, with cinnamon and other spices, and a touch of rooibos. Oh, and what is mince? It sounds good. 

Nickiechan - Awesome mayo!!! Hope you are feeling better today.

St. Sophia - Pizza Spaghetti Pie??? Yes! Do you have a recipe for the chicken and veg coconut curry soup? That sounds so good. It's been really cold here. I'm craving soup.

Lauriem - Tiger brain! I love it! I hear you on eating breakfast every morning. I used to love my black coffee with a slice of rustic toast and butter. Very European… I imagine… lol. I never ate a big breakfast. Now I can't wait to get those 3 eggs in the pan! lol.

Robbs! So glad you're here! You will love this!

Staci_ny - I know about that onion cloud. lol.

Jean - Great blood sugar this morning! 

Amanda - you're inspiring me to go to yoga today… 5:45 am?? That's dedication!  :)

Jeanie - What was that pork burger recipe with the sweet potatoes? I can't find it in here.

Yesterday, I went to an open air market and bought the most incredible vegetables. I can't wait to cook them! Last night I invented a new way to cook potatoes. At least, new for me. lol… I boiled baby potatoes until they were tender inside, and then drained them, and smooshed them slightly with a spatula so that they were flat on each side, (not too much or they'll break apart…) then I sautéed them in ghee with some salt and pepper. Amazing! Crisp and browned on each side like little potato burgers. 

This morning's breakfast - Sauteed spinach, with tomato and onion, and 3 poached eggs. 

Lunch - BAS with chocolate chili, a leftover potato

Dinner - Hopefully that steak on the grill I mentioned yesterday. (I wimped out on getting a new propane tank for the grill. Makes me nervous to transport that in my car. But today I want steak that bad!) tomato and avocado salad, and cauliflower rice. 

Have a great day, all! Gotta have breakfast!  :)

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 23 over here -- crazy! Doing good -- no more crazy mood swings, huge cravings, etc...however, I did get a little disgruntled this morning on my drive into work...primarily because people drive like they are 2 year olds and I didn't have my coffee. But, I digress :) Yesterday went well...I've been hitting my step goal everyday and trying to get to sleep at a decent time. At the end of this Whole30, I honestly think I'm going to keep going because I'm not at my ultimate goal yet (and we'll see what the scale says on D31 as the Dr. gave me a 20lb goal for weight loss before baby) and this is working so well, it seems silly to stop. The only thing I might do a little different is allow myself to have a drink in a social situation, if needed, but not necessary.

I was bumming myself out the other day when I was slipping into my jeans and they aren't falling off my bum -- I literally said to myself, "COME ON!" But, then I remembered, before Whole30, I was squishing my booty into these pants and had a muffin top or c-toe without even realizing it. I was probably a size or too higher than what the pants actually were and I was stuffing myself in them just so I wouldn't buy a new pair. NOW, I can actually wear the pants comfortably, without squishing, stuffing, etc. So, that is an accomplishment, a NSV, even though they aren't falling off my "super skinny bum" (all about positive thoughts) :) ALSO, I didn't watch any TV the other day - I was so busy doing stuff around the house, exercising, gardening...it didn't even cross my mind. Now, that is crazy for me. Completely weird.

Go us! Welcome Newbies -- this journey is worth it. Completely.

hi deb!  day 23 for you!  wow!  you go girl!  day 2 for me and i'm feeling the love of this WOE (Way Of Eating) already!  i ate 'clean' (as i call it) yesterday and i felt great!  not hungry at all!  i was a little bit overwhelmed at first yesterday, starting this without the book, and just diving right in.  i wasn't sure if i could think of things to eat or what to make because as i always say, "i'm no rachael rae"!  hahaha!  but talking to you and these wonderful people here giving me ideas and then, going to the food store and looking....really looking....for stuff that is easy for me to grab and make a nice lunch and dinner, (breakfast is easy) i said to myself, "robbyn, you can do this"!  so i'm doing it!  i think maybe this WOE will inspire me to WANT to cook and get creative.  i really do.  all the things people are listing sound so scrumptious!  so here i am and loving it!

thank you deb for turning me on to this and for helping me muttle through yesterday!  you are such a doll!

and thank you to all of you!  i have soooo many replies to read!  you are all so awesome and so helpful!  i just can't believe the outpouring of love here.  its an amazing site and an amazing group of people here!  so onward with Day 2!  and remember....i'm doin' it with you all today!  luv ya!  robbs, xo, :) <3 

ok....what's potato burgers?  also i think Deb mention that St. Sophia mentioned pizza spaghetti pie?  are all these recipes in the book or are they on site here?  i have so much to learn.  i'll be exploring the site big time the next few days.  i'm soooo pumped about this!  makes me feel like doing a marathon!  LOL!

• Administrators

Jeanie - What was that pork burger recipe with the sweet potatoes? I can't find it in here.

Yesterday, I went to an open air market and bought the most incredible vegetables. I can't wait to cook them! Last night I invented a new way to cook potatoes. At least, new for me. lol… I boiled baby potatoes until they were tender inside, and then drained them, and smooshed them slightly with a spatula so that they were flat on each side, (not too much or they'll break apart…) then I sautéed them in ghee with some salt and pepper. Amazing! Crisp and browned on each side like little potato burgers. 

We call these smashbrowns.  ;) 

I posted the original pork burger recipe here:  http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/27497-st-sophia-log/?p=291675

Cravings during your period can be a sign that you need to eat more at this time. Lots of women eat double what they normally do in the week before and of their period. Pay attention to what your body is asking for and feed it protein, veggies and fats. You can increase your starchy veggies during this time also, helps with cravings and mood. Don't forget that our bodies go through a huge upheaval every month and they can use more nutrients.

Thanks LadyS! I read a super helpful PMS forum (I think you might have even commented on it :), and am trying to eat more starchy veggies with every meal. Yes, I definitely need it.

I dunno if it's from PMS, or Day 21 Woes -- i still love my eggs in the AM and am not having food boredom at all -- but the past two days my desire for non-compliant food has come in wicked strong urges e.g. dreams about pizza, wanting peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, caramel salted dark chocolate dunked in coffee ice cream (that one came straight off a commercial during The Bachelorette last night. That's the only show I watch on an actual TV w/ commercials, and I gotta say, WOW: prime time TV, and late night TV is a frenzy of sugar commercial mania! there are so many f*cked up commercials on TV for processed food!!! If I watched TV every night, I would undoubedtly be 10 lbs heavier, from just the induced cravings from TV commercials alone!

• Administrators

Thanks LadyS! I read a super helpful PMS forum (I think you might have even commented on it :), and am trying to eat more starchy veggies with every meal. Yes, I definitely need it.

I dunno if it's from PMS, or Day 21 Woes -- i still love my eggs in the AM and am not having food boredom at all -- but the past two days my desire for non-compliant food has come in wicked strong urges e.g. dreams about pizza, wanting peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, caramel salted dark chocolate dunked in coffee ice cream (that one came straight off a commercial during The Bachelorette last night. That's the only show I watch on an actual TV w/ commercials, and I gotta say, WOW: prime time TV, and late night TV is a frenzy of sugar commercial mania! there are so many f*cked up commercials on TV for processed food!!! If I watched TV every night, I would undoubedtly be 10 lbs heavier, from just the induced cravings from TV commercials alone!

Yep, all those cravings are more than likely due to your period.  As women we're mocked by society and marketing as "needing chocolate" during our time of the month. When really, we do need carbs.  Chocolate is an easy and delicious one for most women to get their hands on and is heavily marketed towards us...but you can fulfil that body need healthfully by including starchy veggies and increasing your meals in the week leading up to and of your period.  I use the "Period Tracker" app on my iphone and set a reminder for the lead-up week so that I am not caught short.  ;)

Personally I eat All the Japanese sweet potatoes in the week before my period and the first two days of it.  Then I'm good and I don't want them anymore. But get between me and those potatoes in lead-up week and there's troubles, Bubbles. ;)

haha "LADYSHANNY And The Japaneese Sweet Potato" a Mafia Buddy Comedy coming soon to a theatre near you!

Great idea to feed the urge ahead of time, and watch the cumulative results. That is my biggest learning lesson so far on Whole30:

1. what you eat today effects how you feel tomorrow and

2. during times of physical and emotional stress (e.g. period, hunger, rushing around, etc) i'm most likely to snack and/or skip meals, which sets me up for the next day.

I can either REPEAT CYCLE, OR CHANGE THE PATTERN. 

DEBZ: hah love those lil potato burger crisps. totally making them. 

I'm winging the chicken veg curry soup/stew. it's been really cold here, and thunder storming, the soup totally hit the spot!

Here's how I made it, and below that, links to easily modified-to-whole30-recipes that are probably better than mine :)

sautee garlic, ginger, onions. add in green curry paste and veggies of your choice (I used thin sliced sweet potatoes, mushrooms, bok choy). cook 1/2 way. add in equal parts coconut milk and water w seasoning like parsley and sage -- if i had chicken stock I would have used that. bring to boil, lower temp and add in thinly sliced boneless skinless chicken breast and cook until the chicken is cooked through. garnish with chili sauce, lime, and cilantro. 

legit recipes, easily to modify for whole30:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchens/thai-chicken-soup-recipe.html

https://minimalistbaker.com/30-minute-coconut-curry/

ROBBS: there are lots of good recipe indexes online - ** just check to be sure the recipe is whole30 compliant, as not all are:

nom nom paleo recipe index: http://nomnompaleo.com/recipeindex

stupid easy paleo recipe index: http://stupideasypaleo.com/recipe-index/

whole life eating: http://www.wholelifeeating.com/recipe-index/

and many, many more :)

Caramel salted dark chocolate dunked in coffee ice cream?!? OMG! That would have killed me!  :)

Smashbrowns! New favorite. And thanks for the pork burger link, Ladyshanny!

Thanks for the soup recipe, St. Sophia. It looks perfect for today. It's been cold and rainy here too.

Robbs! Happy 2nd day!

I am feeling much better today. Thank you for the well wishes. I think it is just lack of sleep that I've been having with a teething little one. 

A bunch of our friends are going out to dinner tonight for a friend's birthday. It was quick and short noticed, well I managed to get a babysitter and I'm so excited to have a date night out with our friends... however, I'm nervous. We are going to Texas Roadhouse (I suggested it.) as I know there is some good compliant items there. I'm planning to take my ghee along and have steak, sweet potato and maybe a salad. My husband told me "not to preach to the Paleo gods tonight" as some of our friends are snarky and he doesn't want me to have to defend myself... so I'll just let my results shine through and if they want they can come to me. I just finished that part in 'It Starts with Food' and it really hit home, as this weekend I found myself defending my choices to my family members.  Wish me luck! 

Stay strong everyone.... We can do this. It's hard at times but our hard work is going to payoff in the long run.

What positive things are you noticing since starting Whole30?

For me.....

1. Blood glucose readings are all normal(and that is without medications)
2. I haven't taken any Advil since starting (use to take at least 6 each day)
3. My skin looks and feels better
4. I don't have sugar or carb cravings
5. I don't snack between meals (that is huge for me I was the queen of snacking)
6. I seem to have more patience now....things don't bug like before
7. My energy level continues to climb
8. My wedding rings are loose

Ohhh I like doing this...

1. NOT ONE HEADACHE since starting!

2. My depression/anxeity has lowered! I still have some bits of anxeity, but my head is oddly clear. I'm not worrying that it keeps me up at night.

3. Sleeping like a baby!

4. Energy in afternoon. 

5. After work shakes/binge fest have been completely gone! (Sugar crash)

6. My skin is clear!

7. My bloat in my face and stomach is gone!

8. My confidence has jumped. 

9. Sex is kind of great! (lol)

10. Pants seem to be fitting nicely, however I'm not feeling lighter. 

I hope I don't get fired over reading this thread during office hours. I literally laugh out loud, some things you folks write are so funny!

My list:

1/ Cubicle mate doesn't irritate the sh*t out of me anymore

2/ not one headache since withdrawals were over

3/ no heartburn

4/ no bloating

5/ wedding rings are loose

6/ I'm calm

7/ I sleep solid

8/ NO CRAVINGS

9/ NO SNACKING

10/ healthy food tastes amazing

11/ I've met a bunch of wonderful and positive new friends here!

12/ sex-YES PLEASE ;-)

13/ husband is happy because of #12

Personally I eat All the Japanese sweet potatoes in the week before my period and the first two days of it.  Then I'm good and I don't want them anymore. But get between me and those potatoes in lead-up week and there's troubles, Bubbles. ;)

I just discovered Japanese sweet potatoes over the weekend because I needed a change from the regular sweet potato gig. OH MY GOODNESS...I am in love!! 

I love all of your lists. If they are not proof that this program will change your life, than I don't know what is?!!!

Here goes...

1) Gym performance has improved and my energy is through the roof!

2) I am generally in a better mood and have a more positive outlook throughout the day.

3) Clothes are definitely feeling better. (not sure if I've lost weight or if my confidence is up because I know I've been treating my body right recently...either way is fine by me!)

4) My skin is clearer

5) Cravings for sweet things has disappeared, which is a miracle in and of itself. 

6) I am excited about real food and all the things you can do with it! 

You all rock and I'm so grateful for this forum! What a gift!

• Administrators

I just discovered Japanese sweet potatoes over the weekend because I needed a change from the regular sweet potato gig. OH MY GOODNESS...I am in love!! 

I actually refuse to eat the orange sweet potatoes anymore, they don't hold a candle to the Japanese ones!

• Moderators

We are going to Texas Roadhouse (I suggested it.) as I know there is some good compliant items there. I'm planning to take my ghee along and have steak, sweet potato and maybe a salad.

Check out their Gluten Friendly menu -- order your steak as suggested there, and inquire about the cooking oil used.  (Not that gluten free is a guarantee that something is compliant, it's not. But in the case of a steak, ordering it without the marinade and without the butter finish, and making sure the cooking oil is ok should cover it.)

Just FYI, my sister and I went to a Texas Roadhouse when we were both doing a W30. We each did steak, sweet potato (dry), and salad. She asked for oil and vinegar for the salad, and the vinegar she got was definitely malt vinegar, something I never dreamed anyone would serve to put on a salad, and of course the one kind of vinegar that is definitely not W30 compliant. I don't know if that was a one-off thing, that the waitress grabbed the wrong stuff or didn't realize there's a difference or what, but it's got a pretty distinctive smell so you'd be able to tell if you do get served that. I'd opted for sliced lemons to squeeze over the salad which worked well.

Hi everyone, I've been away for a few days. 

Huge achievement over here. I had a visitor in town, a friend who loves to try all the best food wherever she goes. I was really worried that I might just give up on the Whole 30 when she was here, because I'd want to show off my city's great restaurants/ice cream parlors/donuts/cocktail lounges/etc, and I'd hate to miss out on the fun. 

Well, I still brought her to those places, but I didn't have any of it. In fact, I even got her to eat healthy with me a couple times at home, cooking together, which was different for us. That said, I think she had ice cream in front of me four times. Much as I love ice cream, my brain was fine--determined even, that right now, I'm just not eating that stuff, and that's ok. We also found other activities we could do besides eating--rode bikes, took a boat out on a lake, made a campfire. For me, that replaced the enjoyment I used to get out of stuffing myself on goodies. 

Having gotten through a weekend I was so worried about, I'm now feeling amazing. About to embark on a 10-day vacation/road trip and I feel like I can handle anything. Went shopping and got lots of supplies, a new cooler, and most importantly, the mindset I need to finish this Whole 30 on the road and take it into the future. 

Hope everyone has a great last few days! 

So, I don't want to give too much power to the foods we've cut out... but, I'm wondering what everyone's planning on reintroducing first? Will it be a favorite food you miss? Or something simple? 

I might start with legumes, because beans are a protein source and I think I can still stay healthy by including them in my menus. (As long as I don't have a bad reaction...) And hummus is just the best. 

But what I really want to start with? Wine and cheese! 

I also started on May 11th and finally found this forum so I'm sneaking in on the last week to the party.  I have had support in the form of co-workers at Microsoft who started with me - I got an email on Sunday that said "hey, we're starting a W30 tomorrow, want to join?" So, no prep or shopping; just jumped in.  I read It Starts with Food and have the new book, so I've got my references.  Swithy, the thing I really want is Justine's Almond Butter - maple.  I thought I would go for something exotic like corn on the cob, or a piece of toast but I've lost my craving for it.  I tried the maple almond butter previously and to me, it was a little glob of heaven on a delicious Honey crisp apple...

Hi everyone, I've been away for a few days.

Huge achievement over here. I had a visitor in town, a friend who loves to try all the best food wherever she goes. I was really worried that I might just give up on the Whole 30 when she was here, because I'd want to show off my city's great restaurants/ice cream parlors/donuts/cocktail lounges/etc, and I'd hate to miss out on the fun.

Well, I still brought her to those places, but I didn't have any of it. In fact, I even got her to eat healthy with me a couple times at home, cooking together, which was different for us. That said, I think she had ice cream in front of me four times. Much as I love ice cream, my brain was fine--determined even, that right now, I'm just not eating that stuff, and that's ok. We also found other activities we could do besides eating--rode bikes, took a boat out on a lake, made a campfire. For me, that replaced the enjoyment I used to get out of stuffing myself on goodies.

Having gotten through a weekend I was so worried about, I'm now feeling amazing. About to embark on a 10-day vacation/road trip and I feel like I can handle anything. Went shopping and got lots of supplies, a new cooler, and most importantly, the mindset I need to finish this Whole 30 on the road and take it into the future.

Hope everyone has a great last few days!

Archived