coconut milk

There is Taste of Thai and Thai Kitchen, one with a yellow label and one with a red and black label. I picked up Taste of Thai by accident (yellow label) and it did have an odd flavor to it. Is that the one you are thinking of?

• 2 weeks later...

Speaking of coconut milk- I have loooooooved having it. Bought a can to make Coconut Curry Chicken and Coconut Cauliflower Rice from the Whole 30 cookbook (both AMAZING by the way. So much so that my 3 and 1 year olds ate everything I put in front of them and my husband- who is not on Whole 30- requested and made it again a week later. I digress.) I then put a spoonful of what I had leftover in my coffee the next morning and nearly cried tears of joy. But I have also read a lot of moderators warning people about the use of nuts including coconut and all coconut products. Is there a reason for this? Is it because it's "food without breaks" for some people? I feel like what's compliant is compliant, right? Is coconut milk something to be wary of?

(*oh please oh please say no*)

• Administrators

Speaking of coconut milk- I have loooooooved having it. Bought a can to make Coconut Curry Chicken and Coconut Cauliflower Rice from the Whole 30 cookbook (both AMAZING by the way. So much so that my 3 and 1 year olds ate everything I put in front of them and my husband- who is not on Whole 30- requested and made it again a week later. I digress.) I then put a spoonful of what I had leftover in my coffee the next morning and nearly cried tears of joy. But I have also read a lot of moderators warning people about the use of nuts including coconut and all coconut products. Is there a reason for this? Is it because it's "food without breaks" for some people? I feel like what's compliant is compliant, right? Is coconut milk something to be wary of?

(*oh please oh please say no*)

Coconut isn't quite like the nuts that we try to deter people from.  Coconut milk in soups and stews and your coffee is totally fine and delicious and actually a really balanced source of fat.  Handfuls of cashews or ladle-fuls of almond butter is not quite the same thing.  ;)

I'm actually not sure I've heard many moderators warn anyone about coconut or coconut products unless they are complaining of mysterious digestive problems.  Sometimes if someone hasn't been used to eating a lot of coconut products it can cause digestive distress.  But other than that.............

Sorry. Maybe the people talking about it aren't moderators?? I've definitely seen people posting about how they are doing a 2nd (or 3rd and so on) Whole 30 and this time not allowing nuts (including coconut.) I just wondered why.

I totally get the "no ladles of nut butter or handful after handful of nuts" warning though. At times of needing something quick, I have grabbed a few nuts and can definitely see how it would be easy to go overboard when they are so quick, easy, satisfying and one of the only things in your pantry you can actually snack on. Glad to hear this applies less to coconut products.

Nuts and coconut, while Whole30 compliant, are still problematic for some folks. The same can be said for nightshades, eggs, certain carbohydrates, etc. It's not unusual for someone to do a repeat Whole30 and eliminate some additional foods. They're usually trying to dig deeper into potential sensitivities to have a better understanding of how their bodies react to different foods. It's also possible that these are foods that were identified as trigger foods in the past (the proverbial "food with no brakes") so the person is eliminating them altogether to avoid those problems.

If you're chugging down coconut milk and it's interferring with you getting in your 3 template meals for the day, then that's a potential problem because it's pushing out the protein and veggies that you need. Using it in recipes or adding a bit to your coffee is right on track.

Let's also remember that a coconut isn't a nut. The reason the program limits nuts is because of anti-nutrients and high levels of omega 6 fatty acids. We recommend that everyone limit tree nut intake but coconut is a your mileage may vary kind of deal. 

Fruit[edit]

Botanically, the coconut fruit is a drupe, not a true nut.[11] Like other fruits, it has three layers: the exocarpmesocarp, and endocarp. The exocarp and mesocarp make up the "husk" of the coconut. Coconuts sold in the shops of nontropical countries often have had the exocarp (outermost layer) removed. The mesocarp is composed of a fiber, called coir, which has many traditional and commercial uses. The shell has three germination pores (stoma) or "eyes" that are clearly visible on its outside surface once the husk is removed.

A full-sized coconut weighs about 1.44 kg (3.2 lb). It takes around 6,000 full-grown coconuts to produce a tonne of copra.[12]

• Moderators

Some have warned against replicating milk or creamer in your coffee, so if you are coming from a serious cafe au lait addiction that might be worth considering.

I began my first Whole30 by switching to black coffee and learning to like it ok. About a week later I discovered coconut milk and that's the way I prefer it. I'm glad I drank it black a few times, if I need to, I still can.

I have to bring my own coconut milk when I travel or drink it black, because I haven't come across any places who have coconut milk (aside from Starbucks non-compliant crap, which I tried once. It's thin, watery, tastes like fake sweetener, just awful).

I had a bad coconut milk experience yesterday, which was my day 1. I did my shopping to stock up and be ready for the week and bought coconut milk in boxes and in cans. I thought I read all labels carefully but the box of simple truth unsweetened coconut milk (free from 101 artificial preservatives) had CARRAGEENAN in it. I only discovered this as I was sipping coffee this morning (day 2) with the dang stuff in it and bragging to my husband how nice it was. Now I have to start over tomorrow as day 1. I will do so but it seems hard not to get tripped up. I am kind of nervous about eating anything!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived