I bought a can of coconut cream...now what the heck do I do with it?

MTNan

i picked up a can of coconut cream the other day, it seemed like a good idea at the time. But now I realize that I don't really know what to do with it. I've searched the forum, done a Google search, but just can't seem to find much. Any ideas???

• Moderators

I use it in coffee sometimes instead of coconut milk.

Really, any place you'd use coconut milk, you can use coconut cream -- it's the same stuff, just with less water content, so you'll get a thicker, richer dish. And if you come across a recipe that has you separate the water from the cream part, you can do the same thing with the coconut cream, and you'll have more of the solid part and less of the liquid. 

Roasted vegetables soup.

Roast up some veggies (sweet potato, red onion, zuchinni, pumpkin, garlic etc) then simmer in chicken stock or bone broth. Once it is ready blend and then add the coconut cream and mix. Delicious.

Or use in place of cream in a potato or veggie bake.

Curried seafood chowder replacing the usual double cream with the coconut cream - divine, and you've reminded me that I really should make this again soon!!

Really, the world is your oyster.... See what I did there?  :P

• 2 months later...

Curried seafood chowder replacing the usual double cream with the coconut cream - divine, and you've reminded me that I really should make this again soon!!

Really, the world is your oyster.... See what I did there?  :P

MMmm, this sounds yummy! 

Do you have the recipe? 

MMmm, this sounds yummy! 

Do you have the recipe? 

I don't - I tend to make it up as I go along.....

However, basically I saute chopped onions, garlic, salt/pepper & chilli in some coconut oil in a big pot until softened. Add your curry spices of choice then add (loads of - because I like my chowder thick) chopped sweet potato, white potato, carrots, parsnips & leeks and stir thouse round until they're all coated in the oil/onion/garlic/chilli/spices. Add enough broth to just cover the veg and allow to simmer until the veg are cooked, then add your coconut milk/cream & your chopped fish (I buy a generous mix of whatever I can find on offer, but say cod, mackerel & salmon - if you can find a compliant smoked fish it adds really good depth/flavour), simmer until the fish loses it's raw look, turn off the stove & allow to sit before serving - the starch in the veg will thicken it up a bit & you're good to go... 

Coincidentally I'm making a batch again this weekend!

Archived