Start date June 1

Elissa W

I feel like I'm eating big meals that follow the template but I'm still hungry. Will my body get used to this new way of eating or should I just try to eat more at each meal? I'm always full after meals but 3 hours later I'm hungry again. I end up eating at 9am, 12pm, 3pm (mini meal), 6pm, and 9pm (mini meal). I go to bed around midnight so this is still 3 hours before bed. Any ideas?

You're not eating enough.

If your meals are not keeping you full for 4-5 hours then you need to eat more at each meal - especially breakfast - it's hard to pull back from a poor start to the day.

Try to stick to the meal template recommendation of 1-2 palm sized pieces of protein, 1-3 cups of veggies (I go for three here, every time), and 1-2 or more thumb sized pieces of fat (or mayo, handful of olives etc.) Remember that these are minimums so don't be afraid to eat more if you need it.

Eggs when they are your only source of protein should be the number of whole eggs you can hold in one hand, which is 3-4 for most females.

Snacking is really discouraged. Your digestive system needs time to rest in between meals. If you feel you MUST snack (you're hungry enough to eat some steamed fish & broccoli) then make it a 'mini meal' of proteins & fats (& veggies). Trail mixes, dried fruits & nuts, nut butters etc are about as close as you can get to candy on a whole30 and should be kept to a minimum. Fruit should be eaten only with, or as part of a meal - berries sprinkled on a kale salad for instance...

Some people report that eating fruit in the morning causes their blood sugar to spike leading to a crash (with fatigue, faux hunger etc) later in the day, so you might try experimenting having fruit (if you want it) with meal two and/or three and limit it to 1-2 pieces per day.

Be sure to be eating at least a serving of starchy veg a day at this stage to help with any sugar cravings. A lot of people say they're better taken in the evenings to help with sleep - another thing you can play around with as we are all individual.

If you're working out & taking a postWO meal stick to protein & starchy carbs - not fruit - as this will re-fuel liver glycogen when you want to be re-fueling muscle glycogen. For preWO stick to proteins & fats - boiled egg, chicken & avocado.... tat sort of thing.

Good luck for day 3 and beyond...!!

• Replies 675
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dear Lord, why am I surrounded by all that delicious sugary crap today? Office cake and well-meaning candy offerings everywhere. May the power of the Whole30 be with me! :wacko:

PS: When it's time for breakfast eggs, my hands always suddenly seem very big... :D

Hi Sqirrelgirl

You are good

Yes this is do-able

If you eat an extralarge breakfast your hormones will adjust and the sugary cravings will leave you

Temporarily but you'll still need to work on a distraction for it Refocus!

Eventually they may not appeal to you believe or not :)

Doing my morning check in with everyone...going to be a bit busier today because my co-worker left the minute I got here...I told her I was supposed to be the one with the headache today, NOT the one holding down the fort solo.  But, I guess if she is going to take on the headache portion, I will have to knuckle down and do the double work load. 

Don't tell her, but pretty sure I WIN!

Knocking on my faux wood desktop, but still no sign of overwhelming fatigue or headaches.  This could be because in my case my pre-W3 lifestyle wouldn't see me eating a meal until late afternoon if then most days.  For me, eating anything in the morning hours is calories I didn't have before and possibly my body is thrilled enough with that to not care what kind they are yet.  I'm still doing eggs every morning, but trying to make them subtly different each day.  Today I added some sliced chicken sausage...seems to be so popular with forum posters and it was surprisingly good. 

I'm already starting to play in the kitchen, which was one of the primary goals for me in doing the 30 day challenge.  Last night I tinkered with some coconut milk which is a totally new ingredient for me and a prepackaged slaw mix.  For the dressing I added a splash of pineapple juice to the coconut milk, some poppyseeds (after checking to make sure they weren't considered a neurotoxin or something, compliancy paranoia is high and they weren't specifically mentioned on the shopping list), and a dash or two of coriander.  Fresh it tasted fantastic, so I'm anxious to see how it melds by tonight.  I wanted to add some heat but will need to do more spice shopping as my cupboard yielded a lot of non-compliant blends.  I put those to the back and am putting together a basket of spices to keep out on the counter that I can reach for on a whim while cooking.

I think I'm overly cautious right now about anything I enjoy too much but I also don't want to make eating a punishment, so my rule in progress for myself is..."if it tastes great and it's totally compliant, enjoy it as part of your balanced meal plan!  But, if you start to head to the fridge to nosh on it between meals or start adding seconds to your plate because it's sooo good...it's out until after the Whole30."

I did see a recipe that said you don't need to let things warm to room temperature today.  I was just afraid to jinx the magic that happens in my jar, lol!  I'll have to try it from the fridge next time because I always end up waiting impatiently for the egg.   :P

I, too, do not leave my ingredients out to come to room temperature before making mayo. I use a food processor, as I can make about 2.5 cups at a time, and we go through it fast enough that it's worth it to make it in quantity. One suggestion, if the taste is part of the problem - make sure you're not using EVOO - it adds a distinctive "olivy" taste that we don't care for. Look for olive oil that is specifically labelled as "pure" - it has less flavor of it's own, which in this case is a good thing. Aldi's carries a pure olive oil that works for this. If you really need to make some mayo now, and EVOO is all you have on hand, try doing half EVOO and half melted coconut oil. I had to do that once, and it was more palatable than straight EVOO - it also sets up really well!  ;) It's just not the easiest way to make mayo, as you don't want the coconut oil to get too warm before blending, so more labor involved. Hope this helps!

Thanks for all the tips coming in on mayo...I did invest in an immersion blender because that keeps coming up in a lot of things I'm reading and I'm sure I will find a ton of reasons to use it beyond mayo. 

I used avocado oil the first time as I had read that EVOO was a bad idea and avocado was one that was suggested though I'm not seeing too many pipe up to say it's their favorite so that's telling.  I did the room temp thing and I would say thanks to that or in spite of that the consistency wasn't the problem, it was definitely the taste.  So the first thing I'm scouting for is a lighter oil and I'm keeping tabs on anything suggested.  Mine also came out with a sickly yellow color so I may try cutting back to 1/4 tsp on the mustard powder to start.  I don't mind if it starts out too bland, I would have a ton of fun pepping it up with roasted poblano or spices, I've seen a lot of interesting ideas on that already and little holds me back from kitchen experimentation.

I will report back in and let you know how attempt 2 goes as well as what worked for me...or what didn't in that sad, sad, eventuality. 

LoriB--the best thing to do for your tea is to check out the brands in your local area, as they can change by region. Last I read (or heard) the paleo wraps are off the list of approved items. If I am wrong--can a moderator correct me! Try using large lettuce leaves, like romaine or butter lettuce for wrapping up your proteins instead. They are less expensive, and you are getting more veg at the same time! 

My husband and I started yesterday. We decided to do this because we want to see if we are sensitive to certain foods. My arthritis in my hands has been acting up more than usual and he's been having some abdominal problems. We're pretty healthy and active. I'm worried about what kind of snacks to take when we bicycle distances. I usually make some type of granola/power bars to take, but grains are completely out of this. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know! and good luck to all of us for whatever reason we're doing the  whole 30! :D

Hi DIvergirl!  For the half marathon I ran at the end of my 2nd week, I made a gel of baked yam, coconut milk and applesauce - put it in the blender and thinned it with coconut water. I only sipped on it when I could feel my energy start to flag noticeably. Make sure to eat a full template meal 90 minutes to 2 hrs before the ride, too with plenty of protein and fat. As your body gets more adapted to using fat as your energy source, your glycogen stores will last longer and you'll need less during your ride.  In the meantime, expect your energy to be low for the first 2-3 weeks while your body figures all this out.

Look for posts from ultrarunnergirl - she has a link to her blog and has done a bunch of work on how to fuel for endurance events.

Thanks for all the tips coming in on mayo...I did invest in an immersion blender because that keeps coming up in a lot of things I'm reading and I'm sure I will find a ton of reasons to use it beyond mayo. 

I used avocado oil the first time as I had read that EVOO was a bad idea and avocado was one that was suggested though I'm not seeing too many pipe up to say it's their favorite so that's telling.  I did the room temp thing and I would say thanks to that or in spite of that the consistency wasn't the problem, it was definitely the taste.  So the first thing I'm scouting for is a lighter oil and I'm keeping tabs on anything suggested.  Mine also came out with a sickly yellow color so I may try cutting back to 1/4 tsp on the mustard powder to start.  I don't mind if it starts out too bland, I would have a ton of fun pepping it up with roasted poblano or spices, I've seen a lot of interesting ideas on that already and little holds me back from kitchen experimentation.

I will report back in and let you know how attempt 2 goes as well as what worked for me...or what didn't in that sad, sad, eventuality. 

I used avocado oil and loved it! I also used it to make the cilantro lime dressing they reference in the Whole30 book - definitely going to make more of it again. Was a great addition to my steak salad :)

Day 3 is almost in the bag! I had to prep my dinner and bring it to work again today because I'm going to work out afterwards and don't want to have 7-8 hours between meals. I stupidly brought two of the same meals (so same lunch and dinner) and since I wasn't a big fan of lunch, I'm not particularly looking forward to dinner. It was the chicken mash recipe from the Whole30 book - I think it's the apple that isn't appealing to me. Oh well - going to have to keep trying new combos!

As for affects, I haven't experienced the 2-3 day hangover but I think that may be due in large part to spending the weeks leading up to kicking off the Whole30 by slowly eliminating grains and dairy. My biggest challenge is still trying to stomach eating breakfast every morning. Eating 3-4 eggs in one sitting is a lot for me so I started breaking up my protein source to include bacon. I also haven't had time to prep much else other than the hard boiled eggs so I found some recipes through the boards here to come up with other clever quick breakfasts to give me more variety.

Question for the pros who've done this before - if you don't experience a lot of the negative side effects during the first week or so, does that mean you are doing something wrong? Or could it mean that it's just not as severe for your body? I'm trying to gauge where I'm at right now.

• Administrators

Question for the pros who've done this before - if you don't experience a lot of the negative side effects during the first week or so, does that mean you are doing something wrong? Or could it mean that it's just not as severe for your body? I'm trying to gauge where I'm at right now.

Some people luck out and don't experience an uncomfortable transition.  Or sometimes the discomfort comes later.  If you're concerned, go ahead and start a thread in Troubleshooting and we can take a look and make sure that things seem on track as far as what you're eating.  It often depends on what your intake was like previously as well...if it wasn't that bad (ie, filled with frankenfoods and sugar), the transition tends to be a bit easier.

I too didn't experience anywhere near of what other members go through

I was very fatigued had a slight headache and also nausea for a day or two

Am just fine continuing within the template meals

You aren't alone

Also tried Avacado oil for grilling just fine

Hi Everyone,

I started on June 1 as well. I think i'm making too many elaborate meals. This is day 3 and I feel tired and drained. I also started my menstrual cycle which is making me feel even worse!

Hi Erishp

Try making giant meals so you'll have leftovers

Keep it simple maybe 3/4 proteins

Lots of roasted or sautéed veggies

6/8 potatoes or combo root vegs

That way you may repurpose them mix n match

Freeze mini meals too

If you bake a frittata with lots of eggs you'll

have breakfasts ready

It's work but so worth it

You'll need to rest more in the beginning

Stay hydrated

Hope you feel better

Hi Everyone,

I started on June 1 as well. I think i'm making too many elaborate meals. This is day 3 and I feel tired and drained. I also started my menstrual cycle which is making me feel even worse!

I am cycling right now too and I know exactly what you mean!  Hang in there- we can do this  :)

Hello all,

Today I noticed bouts of dizziness.... and anger. Anyone else feeling this way? I do not feel like it had anything to do food either. Had breakfast a little late but satisfied with what I ate. Other than that everything was fine. 

So I guess the question is anyone else getting dizzy? or Grumpy?

• Moderators

Hello all,

Today I noticed bouts of dizziness.... and anger. Anyone else feeling this way? I do not feel like it had anything to do food either. Had breakfast a little late but satisfied with what I ate. Other than that everything was fine.

So I guess the question is anyone else getting dizzy? or Grumpy?

Grumpy is not unusual early on -- the timeline lists days 4 and 5 as "kill all the things" if that gives you any idea.

Dizziness is not normal. I highly recommend starting a discussion in the troubleshooting section listing what you've been eating, including amounts, how much water you drink each day, exercise, and anything else that seems like it might be relevant.

In general, things that might cause this could include not eating enough, not drinking enough water, going too low carbs, or not salting your food enough. Be sure you're eating at least the minimum amount listed on the meal template at each meal, include at least one serving of starchy vegetable each day, salt your food to taste, and aim for at least 1/2 ounce of water for every pound of body weight.

I'm feeling extremely bloated and bleh today. Digestion is not the best (which is a huge euphemism). :(

(I do trust that my body will figure this out over time and it'll get better, just have to complain a little and share my pains ;) )

I think I really need to take the plunge and ditch the coffee completely. I'm still drinking way too much, plus I'm "snacking" by constantly taking sips from the coconut milk. It's like my brain tries to trick me into believing that if it's liquid-y, it's not snacking. *lol* And it's not like I'm hungry (I'm good with eating big meals that keep me full for many hours), it's just that terrible habit of constantly distracting myself with something tasty and the coconut milk/coffee just takes the place of my usual candy... Arrgh! Well, another 26 days to (hopefully) get rid of that bad habit I guess?

Hope everyone is doing great <3

Archived