Fueling for Obstacle Course Race

Good morning!  I am on day 2 of WHOLE30.  I am participating in a Spartan race (4.5 miles, about 20 obstacles on a ski mountain) on Saturday.  Usually people pack those energy bites/gels and I know they are not compliant.  What would you recommend I pack for that extra source of energy?

• Moderators

First, doing a race on day 6 of a Whole30 is going to suck. You will be in the middle of transitioning from running on sugar to efficiently using fat as your energy source. You will be slower and your legs will feel heavy. There is nothing you can do to overcome this. If you were racing on day 14 or 21 when you have already made the transition, you would be fine. 

Once you have made the transition, you don't need extra energy in the form of a dose of sugar because your body will draw upon fat stores steadily to power your work. In the meantime, it is useful to eat starchy veggies every day, maybe twice per day to keep your muscle glycogen stores full. Sweet potatoes, white potatoes, parsnips, plantains, rutabagas, winter squash, etc. 

I did quite a number of these events last year and found that if I fuelled up before hand primarily with fats that I was able to easily make it round only taking water on board at the water stops. I only added additional fuels for the 14 mile runs but I wasn't doing whole30 during those longer ones.

ETA: Also, what Tom said - I did eat a lot of starchy veg in the few days leading up to the longer events.

You could check out ultrarunnergirl's blog for some fuelling ideas - she is one of the other mods here.

http://ultrarunnergirl.blogspot.com/

• Whole30 Certified Coach

I hope Tom's prediction isn't quite right and your race doesn't "suck" (personally, I don't think it has to!).  Were you paleo before W30 or is this a drastic change for you?  

I did a Super last year and ate 2 bananas and 3 HB eggs before the 10 AM start.  I carried dates sprinkled (heavily) in salt in a quadruple sealed ziploc in my camelback.  I ate a few dates around mile 5 and was fine.  

You aren't doing the Tuxedo race are you?  I did that last year too before the Super.  I just didn't eat before that one, but I'm a special snowflake :)

• 4 weeks later...

First, doing a race on day 6 of a Whole30 is going to suck.

LOL! I have a four miler on Day 4 of my first Whole30, and ready for it to be "challenging." (I.e. For it to suck!) But I was signed up before I knew ANYTHING about the Whole30, and I'm getting my shirt!!

Archived