Afternoon slump

I can't see how I can move this but I meant to post this in "Troubleshooting Your Whole30". Reposting there as well.

Hi everyone,

I'm on Day 6 and I'm having trouble in the afternoons between M2 and M3. I have been drinking a TON of water to try and get myself through it but I broke down today and had strawberries and almonds as a snack which I know is discouraged. My meals today were the following thus far:

M1: coffee with coconut milk, chicken breast, closed handful of almonds, 2-3 cups of a mixture of mixed greens, shelled peas, red cabbage, and drizzled with a little balsamic and olive oil. 

M2: 1.5 cups of pulled pork (approx.) with 3-4 cups of a mixture of mixed greens, shelled peas, red cabbage, and drizzled with a little balsamic and olive oil. 

Snack: 1 cup of strawberries and closed handful of almonds.

Does anyone have any advice/tips or tricks for the afternoon slump?

Thanks!

You afternoon slump may be caused by lack of fats or Protien You may need to exclude peas only snap pea pods are acceptable and include less or no almonds included with one meal

Not enough fat is a drizzle I understand it's okay to eat two to three fats and extra Protien with breakfast Do you like eggs? Add avocado too

Some use bacon I use prosciutto now

Although if you are very active add a mini meal of Protien and fat in the afternoon Protien and carb post workout

Bone broth also helps

Have your fruit earlier with M1 or M2

• Moderators

I really hate to tell you this, but your shelled peas are legumes, and are therefore not allowed on a Whole30. (Check out the rules here.)

On the plus side, aside from the peas, your meals look pretty good. You don't say how much chicken you had at meal 1, you could try adding a little more protein, or maybe in addition to the vegetables you list, add some sweet potato or beets or something a little more substantial. With the coconut milk, almonds, and olive oil you should be good on the fat.

If you're truly hungry, as in you could eat something bland like plain fish and broccoli, then it's okay to eat, but instead of the fruit and nuts, have a mini meal with protein, fat, and vegetables. Maybe a hard boiled egg or two with some mayo and some carrots or celery -- that would be easy to pack up and have with you. Or just some leftovers would be fine.

If you're not really hungry, just eating because you're tired, bored, or out of habit, try getting up and walking around a bit. If you can get outside into the sunshine for a few minutes, even better. Get up and get yourself some water or fix yourself some tea, or if you need to mail stuff or take stuff to a coworker or go have a conversation with a coworker, do it during this time, just so you get up and move around some.

It's hard to tell the portion sizes based on what you have listed - but I would say increase your protein and fat and maybe add a starchy veg to your mix.

Please note that you will need to eat a rather huge salad (think mixing bowl size) in order for it to remotely fill and satiate you.

Okay - a word to the wise - Sorry to break this to you but shelled peas are not compliant. :(

• Moderators

Peas are legumes. They are banned during a Whole30. Sorry. 

I suspect there was not enough fat in M1. Chicken breast is lean and olive oil is not very substantial. You ate a handful of nuts, but in my experience, nuts don't have much staying power as a fat. You had some coconut milk in your coffee, but you would need to be drinking half coconut milk, half coffee to get much fat. 

I am concerned that there is not much bulk to your mixed greens. When chewed or wilted, greens go from handfuls to a few tablespoons. You probably need starchy veggies like beets, carrots, potatoes, etc. to get enough volume of food.

Eating two handfuls of nuts per day is not a good idea. Nuts are hard on digestion. 

When you are hungry enough to eat before your regular meal, it is appropriate to eat a mini-meal of protein, fat, and veggies. 

Oh no! I totally missed that about the peas. Thank you all for your feedback. No more peas for me! I'm glad that was caught fairly early on.

I will definitely start adding starchy veggies. Does it state anywhere what plate size we can use for reference? I'm sorry to be so literal but I think I am still struggling with portion sizes. I use my palm as a reference for protein and thumb for fat but I never know how much I should be doing for veggies.

Thanks again for your help! Tomorrow is pea-less Day 1.

• Administrators

Starchy veggie serving size is "fist sized".  The rest of the veggies, eat as many as you can.  Seriously.  Many of us eat upwards of 3 cups per meal.  The veggies are where it's at!  :)

Archived