Starting July 7th

harwinm

Hi. My name is Melissa, and I am 30 years old starting this. I normally don't commit myself 100 percent, but I am determined to right now. Been feeling crappy, gained and continuing to gain weight, which is not making me happy. But this is more about weight but giving up addictions to sugar, food, and that calming glass of wine at the end of the day (I am going to miss that so much!). The coffee with milk too will be hard, but I am ready. I am excited to take this on and learn from it.

Welcome to all doing this journey with me, much love and support.

I'm starting today too!! I'm 32 and I've been overweight for the last 10 years. I've been spiraling out of control lately and I'm hoping this will get me back on the right track. I've done about every diet and obviously nothing works. A complete consumption-style change is just what I need. 

I'm looking forward to getting healthy. I thought cheese would be the hardest thing to give up, but chances are, it will end up being alcohol. 

Good Luck to you!!

Thanks! :)! I agree, alcohol is going to suck, bread too, but I am ready!!! Although we will see what I have to say in a few weeks. I think it has been a little tricky with some of the "on the fence" items, in terms of figuring out if I can have them or not. Some items sneak unnecessary stuff in. Like my balsamic vinegar had caramel colour in it (what is that about!?!)

Hello Ladies! Today is my first day of my first attempt at Whole30 also! I've been making a lot of changes in the way that I eat over the last year to two years. For me, my biggest concern is that I will absent-mindedly eat something that someone has left on the table or a counter before I realize what I've done! Someone had popcorn at work today, first thing in the morning- and I thought, "Oh man, here we go!"

Good luck to all of us- and happy label reading! :-)

Hi there! I started yesterday too. So far so good, I think. I almost bought sriracha without even thinking to look at the ingredients list - glad I did since of course there's sugar in it! Other than that I'm on track, although harwinm's post is reminding me to check my balsamic vinegar - didn't even think of that. :/ Anyway, glad to be on the forum and to have some support!

@MaMaSalu - I had a dream I did that, eek. But so far so good. Best wishes!

@Ommmmaggie- Good luck, yea really hoping I don't mess up by accident, I am really trying! 

Oh man though had a huge but on program breakfast and lunch today, super full but managed not to snack between. How you all holding up on day 2? :)

The no-snacking thing was a big victory for me today...although I had a working lunch so it took a REALLY long time to eat (eat, type, take phone off of mute, type, eat, try not to choke while unmuting the speakerphone, repeat.) Planning ahead has been huge. Ah! That reminds me- I have to break out the crockpot if I want to eat dinner tomorrow! :-)

Oh! I started the 7th too! I'm a first timer. My husband is doing it with me so I have some at home support. I'm 48, overweight and approaching "the change." I've had issues losing weight lately so I decided I needed to something serious. Also, hoping it helps with my insomnia, tinnitus, heartburn, blah, blah, blah...

I relate to the "accidental" part - On Day 1 I made my son and his friend spaghetti carbonara with the last of my non-compliant bacon and I almost ate a piece!! I brought it up to my mouth but stopped before I popped it in! Phew! Next week when my older son gets back from camp it will be easier because they'll be eating the same things as we are at the same time. This week was just weird with schedules and such!

Just wanted to jump in and say hey! I originally started on July 1, but fell off for a couple of days after day 3. I restarted on July 7. One thing I learned from when I fell off: NEVER EVER SKIP A MEAL, even if you're not hungry. I had run a race on the morning of the 4th and my pre and post-workout meals left me too full, and I skipped Meal 1. BIG MISTAKE! I finished out that day feeling like garbage and I quit.

EAT ACCORDING TO THE TEMPLATE for three meals! I printed mine out and put it on the fridge! Hope all goes well with everyone!

Yesterday, I was the very definition of hangry...so now I'm bringing compliant emergency snacks to work. I didn't cave-in, but I was NOT pleasant to be around for the last 2 hours. Happily, dinner was delicious and my son offered me an imaginary ice cream cone made out of legos. Say what you will, but I accepted it ;-)

Anyone else having strange dreams?

Ugh. And just like that- I'm out. Feeling very, very disappointed and frustrated right now. Kids asked for fruit ice cream as a treat tonight. Sure, no problem- lots and lots of frozen fruit for them and just a LITTLE, little, little bit of milk in the blender and they have purple "ice cream" that they love. And I scooped it into their little colorful bowls into equal portions (because you KNOW it has to be equal)...and then I licked the last part off of the scoop without thinking.

AGH. AWFUL feeling. So...back to one for me :-(

Ugh. And just like that- I'm out. Feeling very, very disappointed and frustrated right now. Kids asked for fruit ice cream as a treat tonight. Sure, no problem- lots and lots of frozen fruit for them and just a LITTLE, little, little bit of milk in the blender and they have purple "ice cream" that they love. And I scooped it into their little colorful bowls into equal portions (because you KNOW it has to be equal)...and then I licked the last part off of the scoop without thinking.

This has almost happened to me every day when fixing snacks, PB&J, etc for my kids. So sorry! Just look at it as more days to eat really well and nourish your body! I had originally started July 1, but was a wreck on July 4 and quit. I restarted on the 7th, and it's been a lot better. Hang in there, and try not to beat yourself up too much!

Hi all. Hang in there is right. I haven't been perfect with not snacking, so going to work on that more, or making sure my meals are enough. Something I have been taking (med) I realized had stuff in it I couldn't have (I don't recall what now). So trying to stop that. But not restarting for it. I think I wouldn't make it if I did. But stay strong! We all got this!!! How have you guys been dealing with going out so far?

UGH! I feel so bad for you! Don't get discouraged!!! Just start right back!! 

So last night I had dreams that I was accidentally eating donuts and biscuits. I was walking to get someplace and I kept ending up walking through Burger King (? Random) and Dunkin Donuts -- 2 place I don't frequent. And I kept telling them NO, but somehow I kept eating compliant food and when I looked down it was a donut or biscuit or something similar. The thing is, I don't miss those things at all! I'm feeling lots better yesterday and today than I have all week! 

Booo- starting over myself. I screwed up with a drink. I was out for lunch at a health food place, and was drinking a drink that I determined was okay, and it was pretty good, so I went to get another to have at home when my family has a drink drink. I accidentally bought one that was different and didn't realize until I drank half of it. Thought it tasted super good cause I added lime to it. It was cause it had cane sugar :(! Boo!

So new start day July 13..

Booo- starting over myself. I screwed up with a drink. I was out for lunch at a health food place, and was drinking a drink that I determined was okay, and it was pretty good, so I went to get another to have at home when my family has a drink drink. I accidentally bought one that was different and didn't realize until I drank half of it. Thought it tasted super good cause I added lime to it. It was cause it had cane sugar :(! Boo!

There's and article somewhere around here about how sugar doesn't necessarily REQUIRE a restart.....MODS, help with a link please.....

There's and article somewhere around here about how sugar doesn't necessarily REQUIRE a restart.....MODS, help with a link please.....

Here is the link. Read this article and then decide how you will proceed .http://whole30.com/2014/06/really-start-whole30/

Thanks for the help, GFChris. I am sort of trying a start over, but also respecting what I did already if that makes sense. So today is sort of my first day again. I had a few iffy moments yesterday as well. Not necessarily worth a start over on their own, but put together might be a good idea. 

How is everyone doing today?!

So yesterday my husband had an OOPS moment.

Due to the course of events yesterday I made my boys Mac & Cheese for dinner (they also had chicken and broccoli, so it wasn't JUST M&C). My youngest was VERY tired. EXTREMELY tired and "had a moment." 

So my husband was reheating his food in the microwave later and checked to see if the M&C was hot. He put 1 piece of M&C in his mouth to test. UGH! Bam! Set back! He's gutted! He's having a much harder time than I am. Very lethargic, has no energy, feeling crappy. And now this. I'm so sad for him. I told him he can't quit just to keep on plugging and continuing. We may have to add a week on. We'll see how he feels at the end. 

• Administrators

Yesterday, I was the very definition of hangry...so now I'm bringing compliant emergency snacks to work. I didn't cave-in, but I was NOT pleasant to be around for the last 2 hours. Happily, dinner was delicious and my son offered me an imaginary ice cream cone made out of legos. Say what you will, but I accepted it ;-)

Anyone else having strange dreams?

Hi MamaSulu, sorry to hear of your start over!  That sucks, but good for your for recognizing it.

As far as being "hangry", I just wanted to check in and make sure you've been eating enough at your meals.  Can you post a few days of typical consumption including portions, fluids, meal timing etc?  Your meals should be getting you 4-5 hours in between so if they are not, perhaps there are some tweaks that we can help you make?

• Moderators

He's having a much harder time than I am. Very lethargic, has no energy, feeling crappy. And now this. I'm so sad for him. I told him he can't quit just to keep on plugging and continuing. We may have to add a week on. We'll see how he feels at the end. 

Is he eating enough? Be sure he's basing his portions sizes on his palm/thumb sizes, not just copying yours, as he more than likely needs more food than you do. And don't forget the template calls for 1-2 palm size portions of meat, and 1-2 thumb-size portions of fat -- if he needs to, he can eat at the upper end of the template on those, just make sure he's still getting in his vegetables too. Is he eating at least a serving of starchy vegetable each day? Is he adding on pre- and post-workout meals if he's working out? Is he drinking enough water?

Is he eating enough? Be sure he's basing his portions sizes on his palm/thumb sizes, not just copying yours, as he more than likely needs more food than you do. And don't forget the template calls for 1-2 palm size portions of meat, and 1-2 thumb-size portions of fat -- if he needs to, he can eat at the upper end of the template on those, just make sure he's still getting in his vegetables too. Is he eating at least a serving of starchy vegetable each day? Is he adding on pre- and post-workout meals if he's working out? Is he drinking enough water?

Yes, he's eating more than I am and he's eating more potatoes than I do too.  He does work out so he's trying to eat more and get a pre-workout meal in as well. He's drinking a lot of water too. He may need to add more protein. 

Based off another post, and what he read online, he thinks he may need more salt. He doesn't salt his food normally because he always felt he got what he needed from his food. But now we've cut that out - so I made him go eat some chicken with salt on it. And when we have dinner I'll be sure to have him salt his food. 

Thanks for the feedback!

Archived