Lovely Legumes....Or...NOT?

Just tried reintroducing some legumes back into my diet. Something I suspected I might want to ad in on a more regular basis from time to time, but now, I'm not so sure. I had some pinto beans in my Chipotle bowl. And I gotta say......physically, this is the food group that disrupted me the most. Even more than dairy!! Super bloaty, and, not to get into to much detail, but...let's just say, running into the bathroom pretty quick. Anybody else this way? Has anybody noticed different reactions to different types of legumes, or pretty much the same from all? Any and all feedback welcome. :) This one shocked me. 

I can get away with occasional beans as long as their properly soaked (overnight) prior to cooking. Quick-soaked and unsoaked beans are not nice to my stomach. Blackeyed peas, field peas, cow peas, and their like seem to be more forgiving than pintos or black beans. Lentils I don't recall ever actually reintroducting (I certainly can't tell you when I last ate them). Peanuts seem to be a non-issue for me, but about my only exposure to them these days is when I'm cooking for a special occasion like holidays or a group camping trip.

I don't know what a pinto bean is, not something I've eaten, but kidney beans are dreadful for my stomach. I can eat garden peas, peanuts and hummous without any noticeable issues but I'm just not that fussed enough by other pulses to evaluate their effect on my guts.

• Moderators

For me, this is a group for which its members behave very differently in my body. Split mung beans and red lentils are fine for me; peanuts and soy are less fine; other beans are OK if properly soaked and prepared (with kombu, for example), though I treat them all as occasional off roads. As part of a pseudo-template meal, I treat them as starches.

Can't remember the last time I had pinto beans, but I agree with what the others have said in that some I tolerate, some I don't. Peanuts are fine although I never eat them, lima beans & black lentils are also fine - provided they are soaked overnight. Garden peas are also fine & they hold good memories for me of de-podding them with my Dad as a kid - we used to eat more than we saved for my mum to use, & we ate the pods too.... Soy I don't value at all nutritionally so I've chosen to exclude it regardless. Pretty much everything else is out for me - particularly kidney beans which cause me digetsive distress for days.....

I've excluded them all though for the best part of 2yrs though just to be on the safe side because I've learned that over-exposure of any food can cause problems.

Thanks for all of the input everybody. This is all so great to know. Yeah, I just reintroduced some peanut butter tonight, and it didn't really seem to bug me....but totally not worth it compared to all of the other delicious nut butters that are out there. Looks like I'll just keep on keeping on with the slow reintro. :)

Archived