Fruit/nuts/nut butters

I put both raisins, nuts, and crisped prosciutto in my salads - Salads are perfect for building harmony in food: salty, sweet, crunchy, bitter, sour.  

Nut butters are pretty much only consumed for bases for sauces for my meals.  Think Well Fed Cookbook : Sunshine sauce and Hoisin sauce.  I also make an Asian style dressing for a colslaw recipe

• Administrators

I'm a "fruit in recipes" gal, myself.  The pineapple in Pina Colada Chicken, apples stuffed into a pork loin, strawberries in a green salad.

I choose to stay away from nuts and nut butters because they do not serve my stomach well and I can never get enough of them.  Some people carry a little baggie of nuts like almonds as their "emergency" food if they are stuck in traffic/late at the office.

I am another one for fruit in salads -- a sprinkle of blueberries, raspberries or blackberries in a salad, some sliced grapes in a chicken curry salad, raisins in broccoli salad -- and nuts as a garnish or used to bread chicken or as a binder in meatballs or meatloaf. I learned long ago at the beginning of my first Whole30 that macadamias are banished from my island, since I had a one day love affair with a can from Costco!  :rolleyes: Nut butters don't have the same draw as whole nuts, and I use them in salad dressings and sauces and I will occasionally have almond butter stuffed celery with breakfast or lunch as my fat of choice. 

• Administrators

I learned long ago at the beginning of my first Whole30 that macadamias are banished from my island, since I had a one day love affair with a can from Costco!  

Oh gosh, this is me!  The purple can at Costco?  Disaster!!!!!!  Never. Again.  Ever.

• Moderators

I like nuts chopped and sprinkled in pan-fried brussels sprouts, slivered with green beans, atop my Velvety Butternut Squash (heaven!) and in salads. I also have a small bag of Brazilnuts at work and I eat two a day for the selenium. They're not particularly tasty, so they don't pose a food without brakes issue for me.

I really don't eat much fruit at all, I found I lost my taste for bananas on my first Whole30. When I do eat fruit it's usually berries, and I eat it along with whatever meal I'm having. I try not to eat it at Meal 1, it seems to make me hungrier all day.

Occasionally I will eat a big spoonful of nut butter as a pre-workout meal if I have nothing better on hand.

Archived