Chicken sausage

Sraf05

I am on day 3 of my first whole30 and am loving it so far! I haven't had headaches, I have cried at the stupidest things lol but I'll take it. I found chicken sausage with no sugar or sugar substitutes in the ingredients- only chicken, peppers, paprika, black pepper and Italian seasonings. I've been eating one with breakfast everyday and this morning looked at the nutrition facts and it says 1 gram of sugar!! Have I messed up my whole30? Is it natural sugar? Do I stop eating it?

• Moderators

You are okay. Lots of foods include sugar as part of their nutritional composition. The nutritional breakdown is not relevant for a Whole30. Only the ingredient list. The Whole30 allows no added sugars, but has no problem with sugar that is a natural part of a food.

I am on day 3 of my first whole30 and am loving it so far! I haven't had headaches, I have cried at the stupidest things lol but I'll take it. I found chicken sausage with no sugar or sugar substitutes in the ingredients- only chicken, peppers, paprika, black pepper and Italian seasonings. I've been eating one with breakfast everyday and this morning looked at the nutrition facts and it says 1 gram of sugar!! Have I messed up my whole30? Is it natural sugar? Do I stop eating it?

I was wondering where you found your chicken sausage!I'm having a hard time finding compliant sausage that doesn't include pork.

Thanks for the names of the brands. Our store, Wegmans, does not have any brand that does not have sugur. I will go on line and see if I can order direct. If anyone else has suggested brands for no sugar chicken/turkey  bacaon or sausage  that would be great. It is great to have this forum. We are on day 2!

Thanks for the names of the brands. Our store, Wegmans, does not have any brand that does not have sugur. I will go on line and see if I can order direct. If anyone else has suggested brands for no sugar chicken/turkey  bacaon or sausage  that would be great. It is great to have this forum. We are on day 2!

If you like spicy, I like Wellshire Farms Turkey Andouille Sausage.  Currently compliant: I get this in my local Whole Foods.

Note that even if folks give you brands that work for them, you still need to read the ingredient list every time, as ingredients can change and vary by region.

Many folks opt to make their own sausage patties while on a Whole30. Lots of compliant recipes out there.

When it says less then 2% of sugar cane and still is organic, you should be fine.

I've read several times through the book that "sugar = sugar = sugar".

So even if it had a 2% added sugar, it won't mess you up.

Also i can reference in the Q and A section about "What can you eat" that Melissa said that a medication that had sugar in it will not throw you off your whole30 process.

• Moderators

Um, no sorry, added sugar in any percentage is not fine for the duration of a Whole30.

I believe that what Melissa was referring to is that sugar reacts in the body the same way, regardless of what type of sugar... dextrose, fructose, cane sugar or chemical sugar derivatives. Here is the article:

http://whole9life.com/2010/06/sugar-sugar-sugar/

Real, whole foods that have a naturally occurring sugar are fine.. think fruit, canned tomato etc... these foods are the sum of more than just their sugar content and whole, real food will make you healthier. Added sugar is never going to make you healthier.

While many foods have sugar in them inherently, the whole 30 does not allow added sugar of any kind. Doctor's orders, including medications ordered by a doctor, trump Whole30 rules.

• 4 weeks later...

When it says less then 2% of sugar cane and still is organic, you should be fine.

NO! I know sugarcube said this once, but I feel like I've read this a few times on the forum lately and it is critical that we make sure nobody has a misunderstanding on this point: no amount of added sugar is ok.

Sugar in nutrition facts can be from naturally occuring sugar, and that is fine, but 2% of sugar cane added is definitely not permitted on the whole30.

• 5 months later...

Thanks for the names of the brands. Our store, Wegmans, does not have any brand that does not have sugur. I will go on line and see if I can order direct. If anyone else has suggested brands for no sugar chicken/turkey bacaon or sausage that would be great. It is great to have this forum. We are on day 2!

I have found 2 Wegmans organic chicken sausage flavors so far!! One is the cilantro lime, and the other red pepper. Each of them only have organic listed out seasonings and no added sugar :)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived