Ghee

mscala

I've never heard of anyone attempting to do so.

I wouldn't be a fan of it on sweet potato myself & tend to use mine for frying eggs or mixing with other fats to roast veggies in.

Maybe try coconut, olive or any kind of nut oil on your sweet potato & save the ghee for something else...

• Moderators

Day 3 of whole30...yay!

I bought ghee at Trader Joes and thought it tasted horrible on a sweet potato ( and horrible in general). Is there a way to change the flavor?

You could do something like these (I didn't look at all of them, obviously check to make sure ingredients are Whole30 compliant). Or you could try to make a compound ghee instead of this compound butter.

Like jmcbn, I mostly just cook with it, rather than putting it on stuff just before eating. I made ghee once, while I was not doing a Whole30, just to see if I liked my own better than store bought. It turns out that the stuff you take out of the butter, is the part of the butter I like. (Please note -- while doing a Whole30, do not eat the stuff that you take out of the butter if you clarify your own. I was not doing a Whole30 and was curious what it tasted like.)

• Moderators

Day 3 of whole30...yay!

I bought ghee at Trader Joes and thought it tasted horrible on a sweet potato ( and horrible in general). Is there a way to change the flavor?

I've bought that one before and the taste and smell is awful.  There are definitely degrees of tastiness to ghee... consider that a grass fed, organic ghee would taste much different than a ghee from conventional cattle, just due to what the animal eats.  I use the TJ's ghee IN things.

I've also made 'Better Butter' from Well Fed 2 and it was delicious and smelled amazing, so there ARE ways that you can have infused or flavoured ghee but that usually starts with making it yourself.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been making my own for over a year now.  Very simple in crock pot.  If stop cooking when still yellow it is clarified butter and if let cook longer it develops deeper flavor and that's ghee (used in Indian food). You may like the clarifies butter better. Family gave up dairy and a jar stills on my counter by stove and use for everything. Also can be added to olive oil for great flavor. Since pure fat it doesn't burn like butter.  Look on Palo websites for recipes.  Nomnom Paleomhas a good one I think.

I love TJ's Ghee, very buttery flavor. I went out of my way to get more of it today.

I hated the Shiba's brand ghee. It was very nutty; they let it get hotter I think. If our tastes are opposite maybe you'll like that? It's with the Indian foods at any average grocery store that I've been to.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been making my own for over a year now.  Very simple in crock pot.  If stop cooking when still yellow it is clarified butter and if let cook longer it develops deeper flavor and that's ghee (used in Indian food). You may like the clarifies butter better. Family gave up dairy and a jar stills on my counter by stove and use for everything. Also can be added to olive oil for great flavor. Since pure fat it doesn't burn like butter.  Look on Palo websites for recipes.  Nomnom Paleomhas a good one I think.

Hi Nancy! I tried making ghee last night and it was pretty successful. However, this morning it has white bits in it. I only strained it once through a coffee filter. Did I not get all the milk proteins out? Did I not let it cool properly before I put the lid on? It was beautiful and clear when I went to bed.

What is the best way to make sure it's strained properly? I feel not-to-well today but it's only Day 3. So I can't tell if I let dairy back in and need to start over, or if it's just part of the ghee-making process.

Archived