New Around Here - Anyone Starting August 10?

kndacus

Great job on the camping trip! Camping is definitely an excuse for overindulgence and I am impressed that you stayed the course! 

We also were fine over the holiday with the visit to my parents. My mom even used my coconut aminos to marinate her pork tenderloin instead of soy sauce. The only hard part was that she kept saying how much she missed drinking wine with me. I decided to time my reintro of alcohol with them being over on Friday evening to celebrate a birthday - it will be nice to reinstate that tradition with her :) 

Here are my thoughts on the week. We are going to do a planned re-intro.

Tonight - cauliflower leek soup with green salad/almonds

Tomorrow - spaghetti squash pasta with meat sauce

Wednesday - reintroduce dairy: Cream in coffee; slice of cheese on tuna salad; chorizo stuffed poblanos w sprinkled cheese topping

Th/F - back to W30 (bbq w homemade sauce/lemony green beans) and Friday meal TBD (probably steak and roasted veggies)

Friday evening - reintroduce alcohol: celebratory glass of wine for daughter's bday 

Sat/Sun - back to W30

Monday - reintroduce the next thing TBD

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One more day!

I made it through the yoga retreat without eating the goodies I was making for everyone else. I saved a few gluten free brownies and a paleo coconut flour blueberry muffin that are waiting for me in my freezer.

Cooking for other people for 12 hours a day is NOT EASY, and the last retreat I cooked at was exhausting.

This time was completely different. I had energy!

I have to say that I wasn't perfect when it came to eating within an hour of waking, but I tried to get it close!

I fell asleep so easily and by the last day actually woke up before my alarm.

I wouldn't say I've got tiger blood, but its definitely better than I was before!

I've been thinking about my reintroduction plan, and don't think a slow-roll is for me.

I think I may just take things as they come to me.

I don't plan on eating legumes, except for miso (which has been fermented and possibly easier for me to digest).

Rice and corn are the only grains that come into my life.

And considering I'm not supposed to have dairy (except for goat) with my genetic mutation, I'm not planning to reintroduce it unless it comes up at a party or something.

I'm not sure how I'm going to handle my morning coffee. I'm still missing a half teaspoon of local honey or maple along with coconut oil and coconut milk, but I've really liked being sugar-free these past 29 days too.

One square of organic soy-free dark chocolate used to be an everyday treat, but I've discovered Choffy and found that it hits a special chocolatey spot in my soul.

So excited for us all!

Kid sparrow- something I read somewhere during my first whole30, probably that Melissa wrote - but if you cheat, you aren't cheating anyone but yourself. I think of that a lot when I want to say "ah I made it 28 days, close enough." Or "it's just one bite of that cookie." But then I remember that I committed to these 30 days all for myself, so I'm going to stick to it for me - because I'm worth it. It makes it easier to not get frustrated by others:)

You guys are champs for making it through some tempting situations!! Proud to be a part of this thread:)

I'm not sure I'm reintroducing. I don't really miss grains or dairy or legumes or...ok I lied, I am for sure reintroducing beer. Eventually. When an occasion seems special enough to warrant it.

My friend woke me up yesterday with a last second invite to join her on a Kenai Fjord cruise for the day. Literally had to jump out of bed for the 2.5 hour drive to get on the boat. Totally had a "28/30 days, whats the diff" moment but quickly remembered how good I felt last time I finished and the spirit of the whole30 commitment to self. I had mentored girlfriend through her first whole30 and she really came through for me. Since it was my cooking day I had no protein prepared. She had buffalo thawed abd cooked a couple burgers while I gathered my outdoor gear and chopped veggies. She also brought 4 individual compliant guac packages. We ate veggies dipped in guacamole and burgers with our hands in the car for breakfast. Lunch was a big buffet on an island. I skipped all but yummy fresh-carved prime rib and salad that I added more of my veggies to and topped with more guac. We took a second piece of prime rib for dinner on the ride home with more veggies and guac. A little repetitive and I'm sure the rib wasn't organic grass fed like I usually buy but all in all remained compliant for a very spontaneous day out in the middle of nowhere with no time to prepare. And saw dall sheep, mountain goats, 2 kinds of puffins, many other sea birds, humpback whales breaching, sea lions, sea otters, and seals! Even after living in Alaska for 33 years, that stuff never gets old!! Happy day 30 and congratulations to all of you who remained committed to yourself and your health.

HAPPY DAY 30 PEEPS!!

I am so excited that we reached this point, it kind of went fast in my opinion! I sat down this morning and looked at all my receipts from the last month. There are 29 of them, you guys can do the math on that....basically I've lived at the grocery stores! I did some calculations, and my monthly grocery budget for the whole30 increased by about 20%. That being said, I also needed to stock up on some things like spices and broths, compliant flours, etc, so I do have some staples left over so I can't complain too much about the added money spent. Not to mention, hello nonscale victories!! My only wish is that I didn't start my period early because I feel like when I weigh myself tomorrow that I'm going to be bloated and carrying extra water weight. Ugh. Oh well, I am not focusing on that number too much, I can feel it in my clothes that I'm on the right journey and also in my energy levels. I am interested to find out next month what my doctor says about my hypothyroid levels, maybe I can reduce my meds soon!! We plan to continue with a pretty paleo diet, this has been a real eye-opener for me and my husband! 

It's been great having you all here along the way for support, encouragement, and recipe sharing. I plan to stay on the forum for the next week or two in hopes we can all post about our reintroduction too!!  :)

Congratulations to everyone!!!  Especially those who traveled (anchorageali, courtnykay, mg3) while on the Whole30.  Wow!!  I didn't even go out to eat this whole time, I was too nervous about messing up:).

Eating Meal 3 of Day 30 as I type.  Haven't decided exactly what I am going to do for the reintro.  Going to do more of a slow-roll.  I will have a breakfast veg/fruit smoothie tomorrow morning with greek yogurt.  I will see what pops up after that. My parents are visiting on Thursday, so that will make it a little more difficult.

I will be posting/keeping an eye on the forums as well!

After a really stressful and exhausting weekend - I was hosting lots of kids and adults at the lake, where all were day drinking and I was prepping food for all ... I hit a peak of anxiety and tension that was driving me to have a glass (or several) of wine. I couldn't believe the level of misery I was feeling and in hindsight creating for others. (Stress of hosting, not stress of not drinking). I was really down last night and actually full of resentment for Whole30... so angry that "the program" made me so miserable in my last days. But today ... after a lot of contemplation realize this is one of those hard NSV ... when I am really anxious or tense I need to implement a new coping mechanism. I am not anticipating a significant weight loss on the scale so need to continue to work through and articulate what I have really gotten from this. I know it's more than I am aware of and need to take the time to reflect.  Sadly, I have no true reintro plan going forward except reintroduce wine thursday night at dinner and then go back to the program until sunday. What is everyone going to reintro first? second? third? I am rereading the section on this part!

I do hope to hear how everyone ends up! 

• Moderators

HAPPY DAY 30 PEEPS!!

I am so excited that we reached this point, it kind of went fast in my opinion! I sat down this morning and looked at all my receipts from the last month. There are 29 of them, you guys can do the math on that....basically I've lived at the grocery stores! I did some calculations, and my monthly grocery budget for the whole30 increased by about 20%. That being said, I also needed to stock up on some things like spices and broths, compliant flours, etc, so I do have some staples left over so I can't complain too much about the added money spent. Not to mention, hello nonscale victories!! My only wish is that I didn't start my period early because I feel like when I weigh myself tomorrow that I'm going to be bloated and carrying extra water weight. Ugh. Oh well, I am not focusing on that number too much, I can feel it in my clothes that I'm on the right journey and also in my energy levels. I am interested to find out next month what my doctor says about my hypothyroid levels, maybe I can reduce my meds soon!! We plan to continue with a pretty paleo diet, this has been a real eye-opener for me and my husband! 

It's been great having you all here along the way for support, encouragement, and recipe sharing. I plan to stay on the forum for the next week or two in hopes we can all post about our reintroduction too!!  :)

There's nothing that says you have to weigh yourself on day 31 -- wait a few days if it'll make you feel better! That number doesn't really mean anything, and I've seen too many people at the end of day 30 absolutely amazed at how great they feel and how their clothes fit better, and their skin looks better, and their aches and pains are gone, and then on day 31 they weigh themselves and the number isn't where they want it to be, and they freak out and post that they've failed. Just wait, weigh yourself in a few days (or never) and don't worry about it.

One more day!

I made it through the yoga retreat without eating the goodies I was making for everyone else. I saved a few gluten free brownies and a paleo coconut flour blueberry muffin that are waiting for me in my freezer.

Cooking for other people for 12 hours a day is NOT EASY, and the last retreat I cooked at was exhausting.

This time was completely different. I had energy!

I have to say that I wasn't perfect when it came to eating within an hour of waking, but I tried to get it close!

I fell asleep so easily and by the last day actually woke up before my alarm.

I wouldn't say I've got tiger blood, but its definitely better than I was before!

I've been thinking about my reintroduction plan, and don't think a slow-roll is for me.

I think I may just take things as they come to me.

I don't plan on eating legumes, except for miso (which has been fermented and possibly easier for me to digest).

Rice and corn are the only grains that come into my life.

And considering I'm not supposed to have dairy (except for goat) with my genetic mutation, I'm not planning to reintroduce it unless it comes up at a party or something.

I'm not sure how I'm going to handle my morning coffee. I'm still missing a half teaspoon of local honey or maple along with coconut oil and coconut milk, but I've really liked being sugar-free these past 29 days too.

One square of organic soy-free dark chocolate used to be an everyday treat, but I've discovered Choffy and found that it hits a special chocolatey spot in my soul.

So excited for us all!

It's day 27 here....Congrats to you on making it thru the retreat.     It has been a terrific journey...hasn't it???  May you go from strength to strength

Yay!!! Congrats everyone for sticking it out and you know, changing your life:) Round 2 definitely wasn't as easy as I expected, but happy to be at the end, for now. It sure is a feeling of accomplishment. and my NSV of the morning, taking out the recycling and smiling at the lack of beer/wine bottles, and the thought that I know every ingredient in every one of the bottles/cans in it. Thanks to everyone for being a virtual support room!!

OK, so I weighed myself this morning, and I "might" have lost a couple of pounds.  When I weighed myself at the start, it was that "time of the month," so I was expecting to lose a little bit more.  However, if I was using MyFitnessPal, it would have had me shoot for 1/2 pound a week.  Which is probably what happened.  Only in this case, I wasn't hungry:).

At first I was a little disappointed, however, NSV...

(1) To be fair, I really don't have much weight to lose.  I am a breast cancer survivor, and I am very careful about my weight.  I also started back up with running/yoga after a 6 week hiatus.  So I probably gained a little muscle back.

(2) I swear my body composition has changed.  I feel like I have lost a bit of fat around the middle, which would be great.  I so wish I had taken measurements, but I didn't.  So I am going by how my clothes fit.

(3) I haven't had any morning IBS issues since I started the program.  So there is some food that is aggravating it.

(4) I do feel like my skin is clearer and my face is less puffy.

(5) My mood and energy level is more even.

(6) I think my allergies are better.  I haven't had any sinus headaches recently, and the ragweed is really high here.  Post-nasal drip also seems to be better.

(7) I feel like my habit of eating the food that I am making for my kids has been broken.  And I feel like I have a handle on my carb addiction.

So, I think I will stick with rough outline of program for a couple more weeks, only adding in occasional dairy and popcorn at night (made in the Whirlypop with olive oil.) 

What is everyone else thinking?

Hi everyone! So before I had a chance to read the suggestion about waiting to weigh, I did do so this morning. I was pleasantly surprised at the number, but I am equally excited about how my dress pants fit for work--they're actually really baggy for the first time in a loooong time. It also took some self-reflection to realize that I barely even remember I'm on my period because I don't have the normal chocolate cravings, crankiness, bloating and lethargic feelings like I normally do. So yet another NSV!! 

But perhaps the biggest NSV happened about two hours ago, when my husband and I went to a doctor appointment for him. He recently got some routine tests back that indicated he has diabetes. He is just above the cutoff for "normal sugar levels", but it still requires some action--staying on Whole30! The doctors said that with this kind of diet and regular exercise, along will come weight loss and also improved test numbers. Basically they think that as long as we stay close to this course, he will be able to refrain from medications and serious interventions. It felt so good to have the doctor validate what I read in ISWF and learned over the last 30 days  :)  :D

Neither of us have reintroduced anything yet. We had planned on having a cocktail tonight (with LaCroix, haha!), but I don't even think we are going to do that. We'll probably be online researching Paleo and w30 diabetes friendly recipes instead, coconut water in hand. 

Cheers!

Hey, I just wanted to say this has been a great forum to take this journey with.  I really appreciate everyone's honesty and support of each other through this. I'm really happy I made it through the Whole30, and I do feel a great deal calmer.   I liked reading what everyone was up to, and I think we should all be incredibly proud of our accomplishment!  Well Done August 10-ers!

J

Yay us!!!!!!  ^_^ I have enjoyed everyone's posts and felt very supported. I hope everyone gets the chance to treat yourself in a healthy way that furthers your Whole30 experience! 

I did weigh this morning and I lost 5 lbs - which is a LOT for someone 5 feet 2 inches tall! I am happy with this and want to continue the trend. I also am feeling more energetic and much, much less bloated. My biggest victory is increased confidence that I can go into ANY food situation and make healthy choices and advocate for myself. 

Here's to the August 10 crowd! 

I would love to hear everyone's ongoing journey as we move along...

Kristy

So we stayed compliant yesterday, despite my longing for an adult beverage. Just didn't feel like stopping the plan yet. 

This morning I tried this organic coconut milk coffee creamer, basically it's coconut milk, natural flavoring, calcium citrate and dried cane syrup. Needless to say, it tasted DISGUSTING, and I couldn't even finish my cup!! Back to plain old coconut milk in the coffee for this girl. I guess reintroducing sugar was less tasty than I thought. Weird. 

So after my first Whole30, I weighed myself, and honestly I don't even remember what the scale said - but I remember being disappointed. Like, all that effort, and that it's? After a bit of self talk and reminder of all the awesome NSVs, I got that feeling of pride back. In the months that followed, I never weighed myself again. and never even really thought seriously about it. About a week into round 2 (ie. this round!), I threw my scale out. I decided the numbers just don't matter. I know, I think we all know based on our "pants feel looser" comments, when we are gaining or losing weight. It's pretty liberating to actually just not care about the scale. I hope you all get there too:)

and cournykay - me too! I actually bought a 6 pack of beer...and then left in the fridge untouched. I didn't really want to spoil the past 30 days just because I "had permission" to drink now...I'm sure that feeling will pass, but if not, it's empowering to actually not need or even really want some adult beverages. 

Hey everyone!

I've really missed this little group we have.

So, I didn't have a reintroduction plan, but if non-compliant stuff came up, I ate it. And....most of the stuff made me feel pretty gross. LOL.

I cooked dinner for 20 at a Quaker house (my old gig, filling in for their sick regular chef), and part of the deal is that you're expected to eat dinner with the residents to build community. I had made some polenta with sharp cheddar cheese, and I remember thinking, "this isn't gonna be good." The next day, I woke up stiff and achey!

I also had some gummy peach rings. I have to say that they are my one really terrible indulgence, despite my usually healthy fare. And, you know what? They weren't that great. I'd rather have real fruit, or maybe some homemade jello with grass-fed gelatin.

Potato chips were good! No adverse reactions, other than eating more than I should.

And again, some white cheddar organic popped corn...not so great.

Tonight, I had my first alcoholic beverage since I started the Whole30 and one was enough. I ate a compliant dinner of grass-fed steak, sweet potatoes, and okra.

And, I know we're all done with the program now, but I just wanted to share that after a few days of eating non-compliant food and paying attention to my body, I've decided to be a bit more restrictive for health reasons.

I'm going to give myself a little leeway with local and raw or manuka honey in hot beverages and some paleo baked goods, and add back in some rice.

But corn seems to be a little problematic, especially paired with dairy. 

I haven't had any goats dairy yet, but in the past that has been easier to deal with than cows dairy, and I'll probably introduce that once in a while.

I've really enjoyed the whole30 meals and they make me feel so good! Once in a while a paleo baked good probably won't kill me, and its better than eating peach gummies. 

Basically, I'm going to go back to mostly Whole30, with some rice and either honey or maple sweetened baked goods. I'm so glad that I did the Whole30, and I'm glad thats its over (I won't have to worry about spitting out food when I'm tasting it for clients, haha). And now, I'm more in tune with what makes me feel good and bad.

Thank you everyone for your support! I hope we can all touch base on the forum going forward. :)

(On a side note, my mom is on day 18 of her own Whole30! AND my dad is considering an October start. I couldn't be prouder. They are both experiencing major health benefits!)

Hey everyone!

I've really missed this little group we have.

So, I didn't have a reintroduction plan, but if non-compliant stuff came up, I ate it. And....most of the stuff made me feel pretty gross. LOL.

I cooked dinner for 20 at a Quaker house (my old gig, filling in for their sick regular chef), and part of the deal is that you're expected to eat dinner with the residents to build community. I had made some polenta with sharp cheddar cheese, and I remember thinking, "this isn't gonna be good." The next day, I woke up stiff and achey!

I also had some gummy peach rings. I have to say that they are my one really terrible indulgence, despite my usually healthy fare. And, you know what? They weren't that great. I'd rather have real fruit, or maybe some homemade jello with grass-fed gelatin.

Potato chips were good! No adverse reactions, other than eating more than I should.

And again, some white cheddar organic popped corn...not so great.

Tonight, I had my first alcoholic beverage since I started the Whole30 and one was enough. I ate a compliant dinner of grass-fed steak, sweet potatoes, and okra.

And, I know we're all done with the program now, but I just wanted to share that after a few days of eating non-compliant food and paying attention to my body, I've decided to be a bit more restrictive for health reasons.

I'm going to give myself a little leeway with local and raw or manuka honey in hot beverages and some paleo baked goods, and add back in some rice.

But corn seems to be a little problematic, especially paired with dairy. 

I haven't had any goats dairy yet, but in the past that has been easier to deal with than cows dairy, and I'll probably introduce that once in a while.

I've really enjoyed the whole30 meals and they make me feel so good! Once in a while a paleo baked good probably won't kill me, and its better than eating peach gummies. 

Basically, I'm going to go back to mostly Whole30, with some rice and either honey or maple sweetened baked goods. I'm so glad that I did the Whole30, and I'm glad thats its over (I won't have to worry about spitting out food when I'm tasting it for clients, haha). And now, I'm more in tune with what makes me feel good and bad.

Thank you everyone for your support! I hope we can all touch base on the forum going forward. :)

(On a side note, my mom is on day 18 of her own Whole30! AND my dad is considering an October start. I couldn't be prouder. They are both experiencing major health benefits!)

What a great post. Thanks for sharing. Congrats and good luck

MG23, thanks for your honesty and sharing your experience eating off plan foods! I too have found that I don't really like the things that I thought I'd enjoy after our time was done. Luckily, we had already discussed staying a mostly w30/paleo type diet, with some wiggle room...I just don't think we'll need as much wiggle room as we anticipated! Stuff doesn't taste as good/decadent/indulgent as I had thought it would! So amazing what 30 days can do!

I did have a couple adult beverages this weekend, I hosted a welcome-home party for my brother who was in town (which is a rare occurrence). I made a taco bar and had plenty of temptations (queso, cheesy chicken jalapeno dip, refried beans, CHEESE & SOUR CREAM!!!), but I abstained and ate a taco salad type thing instead. We had some critics, had some laughs, but mostly it was fine and I limited my drinks to two and I felt great yesterday! Yet another learning experience--don't need to gorge myself full of fattening and unhealthy dips and alcohol to have a great time. :)

And as a bonus, I made a new friend on Saturday while on this 5K charity walk...she had tried whole 30 for a week, failed, and was really curious about the program and how I managed to "survive" it. We are now FB friends and she went later that day to buy ISWF!!! So crazy, never pictured myself "recruiting" someone about something like this. So glad to have turned over this new leaf. I know I'm on somewhat of a "high" right now, having just completed it and am probably feeling overconfident, but I'm relishing the moment while I can.

Congratulations to all who have completed their Whole30!

I encourage you to share your successes in the Success Stories section. 

If some of you are continuing your Whole30 to a Whole40, 60 or whatever, you're fine to keep posting on this thread.

For those who are moving onto reintroduction or riding your own bike, we ask you to create a new group thread in the Whole30 Reintroduction section or, for individual logs, in the Post Whole30 Log section.

Archived