Silk Almond Milk Unsweetened

To each their own, in terms of program rules and foods consumed, but I'm always amazed that stuff like this is considered compliant. If the goal is to eat real, unprocessed, non paleofied, chemical free, natural, and so forth, then how does flavored water with some almonds and with three added chemical stabilizers/emulsifiers have any nutritional benefit?

• Administrators

To each their own, in terms of program rules and foods consumed, but I'm always amazed that stuff like this is considered compliant. If the goal is to eat real, unprocessed, non paleofied, chemical free, natural, and so forth, then how does flavored water with some almonds and with three added chemical stabilizers/emulsifiers have any nutritional benefit?

I'm with you, LucieB, that stuff has no place in my cooking/kitchen/stomach. As far as the rules go though, this concoction would not break a person's reset. Sometimes for folks such as yourself (and me and those of us who have been at this a long time) we are all the way through and out the other side of the healthy eating transformation. For others that takes longer and this almond milk, while not ideal and not even a consideration for you and I, is a stop gap on their journey. That's where the spirit and intention and recommendations of the program come in. Is it Whole30 compliant? Yes. Is it an awesome and nutritious addition to your Whole30? Not really. And if you are using it to replace milk beverages, that's also a big no-no. For some people it's baby steps....we just have to cross our fingers that everyone continues to baby-step their way towards an elimination/reduction of the industrial chemicals that are put in our food. :)

Good points, and I can understand why some might want to consume. Just seems like a glitch in the program. And wish that the same warnings that follow smoothie and Lara bars would get attached to these questions too, instead of a simple "it's compliant" reply. But like I tell myself, to each their own :)

Reminds me of that YouTube series called "why would you eat that?".

• Moderators

Ok, and I don't mean to belabor this point into ground, and I would ask the same if you were using homemade nut milk: if you don't enjoy and like coffee then why do you drink it?

This program can be a SERIOUS departure from how some people ate prior to coming here. For some, having to give up coffee on top of all the other things that they change would be the straw that broke the camel's back.

I feel the same about the almond milk that is available commercially and I wouldn't include products like this in my life at this point. However. I've been doing this for coming up on three years now. When I first started, I hunted high and low for compliant, commercially available salad dressings that I wouldn't even consider spending money on now. I bought pre-chopped butternut squash and other 'convenience foods' because while I was adjusting to this lifestyle, I couldn't take on every. single. thing. I now prep and cook everything that goes in my mouth, including drinks, seasonings and sauces, however that would have been too high a hill to climb three years ago.

Things like commercially available almond milk are different than Larabars and smoothies that come with a warning. Larabars are a straight sugar bomb and do terrible things to your blood sugar (not to mention the company is less than ethical). Smoothies are a liquid meal replacement that do unhealthy things to your blood sugar, your saiety factor and are not as nutritionally valid as actually eating food. Compliant, commercially prepared almond milk is a convenience food for people who want a splash of cream in their coffee and unless people are drinking it by the glass or using it to make smoothies, they're not really abusing it the way people do Lara bars and smoothies (and if they were and we knew, we would definitely issue a caution).

Archived