Pescetarian with bad stomach problems on Whole30

Hi everyone,

I'm on my 18th day of my Whole30 diet and am struggling with bad stomach problems. I also am struggling with food options. I have been waking up to diarrhea most mornings, soft stools throughout the day, nauseous stomach and lots of stomach gurgling throughout the day. I rarely had these problems before this program.

Up until recently, eggs were a major part of my diet during the Whole30, though a few days ago, I literally started to get nauseous and unable to eat any more of them without feeling sick. That leaves me with limited breakfast choices, so I try to have nuts and fruit. Lunch is veggies with tuna or some sort of vegan grain free soup. Dinner is always fish or shellfish, often with sweet potatoes and salad or other veggies.

I read about cutting out nuts to help with this and limiting fruit, but doing hat would eliminate half of what I can eat. Any ideas of what I can do to help with this? I'm starting to not want to eat during the day - at least not the foods I am allowed, which I know is not the right answer (so I force myself to eat anyways).

Thanks for your advice!

You need to stop thinking of the first meal of the day in the traditional breakfast sense, and start thinking of it as meal one & that way you can eat anything that you'd eat for meal two, or three at meal one too...

Relying on fruit & nuts is doing you no favours and will greatly impact the results of your Whole30. Fruits will spike your blood sugar when eaten first thing in the morning, followed by a dip later in the day often accompanied by a change in mood, lack of focus, faux hunger & fatigue. The nuts are a poor fat source due to their omega 3:6 ratio, and are notoriously hard on the digestive system - really they should be eaten in moderation and not every day. What are you doing for protein? Where are your veggies?

Ditch the fruit & nuts & get back to building your meal one according to the recommended meal template.

Take a look at this thread for some inspiration for meal one (I often have a curried coconut seafood chowder for instance) & hopefully your tummy troubles will ease for you soon.

Grilled salmon, potatoes, with a side of scrambled eggs are fab for breakfast.   I eat steak and eggs,  for breakfast, too.   When reheating leftovers for breakfast...I place the protein in a cast iron skillet and drop eggs on top of any protein I eat.    I usually reheat in the oven.

I don't know how long you've been eating fruit and nuts but nuts are fats.  Nuts should not be used as the primary fat source on a Whole 30.  Try other compliant fat sources and mix it all up.   Variety is great for satiety and the palate. 

• Moderators

In addition to the warning about digestive problems caused by nuts, let me raise the potential that raw veggies are part of your problem. You may have increased the volume of salad and raw veggies that you are eating to replace legumes, dairy, or grains. Raw veggies/salad can be hard on the digestive system. When you are having problems, we recommend eating cooked veggies, which digest much easier. 

Tom - I definitely have had a lot more raw veggies especially during lunch at work. I'll try microwaving them instead of eating them raw. I had been reading about the benefits of raw eating, so I was trying that out some. I'd be happy to try that though - anything to help my stomach though!

It is hard to replace enough of my previous proteins and still get enough calories. I'm losing weight fast I think...going down over a size in a bit over a week...as I have a really hard time going from seafood twice a week (3 at most) to having it 2-3 times each day!

Jmbcn and meadow - any ideas on how to get variety with having seafood 2-3 times a day? I didn't have fish much before at all...2-3 times a week...and I'm having trouble adding so much meat back in. I'm debating on adding wild venison into my diet temporarily, though I feel uncomfortable doing that. I need to get through 11 more days though, and I don't want to start hating seafood! I stopped eating fruit and nuts as much yesterday, though I did find myself pretty hungry at the end of the evening. My stomach wasn't as upset as it has been though, so that definitely is good.

There are all different textures & tastes/flavours of seafood - especially if you include the likes of scallops, kalamari etc. Can you experiment a little by mixing up the types of fish you are using? Say like a bland white fish in a lemon & oil dressing one meal, then something stronger like sardines at your next meal.... Vary the veg that you eat, the sauces & dressings that you use, maybe try making salmon cakes, or a chowder....

Maybe after a few days without eggs you'll find you'll be able to stomach them again.

Hope this helps.

I was thinking about getting some crab this week - I'll look up a Paleo recipe to make that...and I'll try making a list of all the seafood that I can eat.  I was thinking about the eggs - maybe if I stuff the eggs with so many veggies and possibly seafood, I could stomach it without it tasting so much like 'eggs'...like a frittata - only with more veggies than egg?  If I can't taste the egg as much, it probably will be more palatable.  I have been pretty monotonous with my veggies...salads most of the time with tomatoes, green beans, broccoli, asparagus, sweet potato, plus lots of raw veggies, repeat.  I'll dig up some recipes for veggies I don't typically eat as well.

Thanks!

There are all different textures & tastes/flavours of seafood - especially if you include the likes of scallops, kalamari etc. Can you experiment a little by mixing up the types of fish you are using? Say like a bland white fish in a lemon & oil dressing one meal, then something stronger like sardines at your next meal.... Vary the veg that you eat, the sauces & dressings that you use, maybe try making salmon cakes, or a chowder....

Maybe after a few days without eggs you'll find you'll be able to stomach them again.

Hope this helps.

I'm congratulating you.  It's your Day 19.   Your game has been strong and you've made great progress.  Google Dallas and Melissa Hartwig posts for more tips how to navigate your way through the Pescetarian Whole 30.

I'm hoping on Day 31 and beyond...that nausea will be history.   The gut reset should really help you.  Test and experiment with your foods during your reintro protocol.  That's the information you need going forward.

I was thinking about getting some crab this week - I'll look up a Paleo recipe to make that...and I'll try making a list of all the seafood that I can eat.  I was thinking about the eggs - maybe if I stuff the eggs with so many veggies and possibly seafood, I could stomach it without it tasting so much like 'eggs'...like a frittata - only with more veggies than egg?  If I can't taste the egg as much, it probably will be more palatable.  I have been pretty monotonous with my veggies...salads most of the time with tomatoes, green beans, broccoli, asparagus, sweet potato, plus lots of raw veggies, repeat.  I'll dig up some recipes for veggies I don't typically eat as well.

Thanks!

You could try varying the way you are cooking your eggs, and the fat you're using to cook them...

For instance, with smoked salmon I like scrambled eggs with ghee, but with mackerel I prefer poached or fried. Boiled eggs work well in a seafood pie which you could make with coconut milk and a topping of mixed mashed sweet & white potatoes (& even some turnip or parsnip added in will work well here - I do this with cottage pie). Add some leeks & carrots into your seafood mix and you've a good solid meal there to last a few days...

There is also a recipe somewhere on the forum which I will try to find for you which is a Whole30 twist on a traditional kedgeree (a British Colonial breakfast dish with fish & eggs) using cauli rice instead of actual rice...

There are lots of ideas once you start looking & the fact that you are open to suggestions & thinking about how you can mix things up tells me you're determined to make this work - good on you  :)

ETA: Ok, not sure if this was the recipe I was referring to but it's compliant and looks pretty good to me.....

You could try varying the way you are cooking your eggs, and the fat you're using to cook them...

For instance, with smoked salmon I like scrambled eggs with ghee, but with mackerel I prefer poached or fried. Boiled eggs work well in a seafood pie which you could make with coconut milk and a topping of mixed mashed sweet & white potatoes (& even some turnip or parsnip added in will work well here - I do this with cottage pie). Add some leeks & carrots into your seafood mix and you've a good solid meal there to last a few days...

There is also a recipe somewhere on the forum which I will try to find for you which is a Whole30 twist on a traditional kedgeree (a British Colonial breakfast dish with fish & eggs) using cauli rice instead of actual rice...

There are lots of ideas once you start looking & the fact that you are open to suggestions & thinking about how you can mix things up tells me you're determined to make this work - good on you :)

ETA: Ok, not sure if this was the recipe I was referring to but it's compliant and looks pretty good to me.....

Thanks so much for the ideas! They actually sound appetizing to me :) especially the kedgeree! The seafood pie sounds great as well. I'll keep pushing forward...I'm in the last third of this! Almost there!

Also, thanks to you all for the encouragement...I will definitely check out the resources for pescetarians as well and test the foods with the reintroduction. I'll just need to make sure I eat enough to keep my energy and keep some variety - and I should be good.

The link that jmcbn shared is the kedgeree recipe that I've been pimping on the forums.

I've made it with smoked salmon which is yummy and canned sardines which are also yummy. If you're making a big batch, I do recommend holding back the fish and just adding that on a per serving basis. Reheating the leftovers with the fish mixed in just isn't quite the same. And I recommend lots of lemon and cracked pepper. :)

I have somewhat of an aversion to eggs and feel your pain regarding egg-based meals. I seem to have an easier time with hardboiled eggs than I do scrambled or frittata-based dishes. Having the yolk and the white separate is a different flavor and texture and doesn't trigger me quite as much. Deviled eggs aren't something that I eat often, but I do enjoy the Fat Guacamole Devils from Mark's Daily Apple. You could easily increase the recipe to 4 eggs and keep everything else the same and still have plenty of filling AND a complete template portion of protein.

Well, I tried some of the suggestions you all have and came up with a delicious salad with shrimp on top....citrus marinated shrimp, homemade citrus dressing, baby lettuce, peppers fresh from the garden, hard boiled eggs(!), a sprinkling of nuts and fresh tomatoes from the garden. Delicious...and I actually enjoyed the eggs lol. We grilled peaches brushed with a little coconut oil and sprinkled with cinnamon....everything was great. :)

If I can come up with meals like that, I should be good to go for the next 10 days! Also, I didn't have stomach issues today...so I'm guessing that is partially because of limiting the fruit and nuts.

Archived