Interesting article about fruit

bearthehunter

Yes, two fruits a day are sufficient.  I read the article.   For those coming here with T1 and T2,  two fruits are enough.  

Much has been written on the Whole 30 forum/articles about propping up sugar cravings with fruit.  It happens.  Some prefer fruit and nuts over any other compliant food group. There are sugar burners and fat burners.  Fat adapted is the best thing that's ever happend to me.  If I ate more fruits than vegetables...I'd move right back into being a sugar burner.

Protein and a fat are the recommendation for staving off cravings and starving the sugar dragon.  Those work for me.   Fruit is good but 2 servings aday are more than enough.   Proteins, vegetables and fats...those are the trifecta of a Whole 30.    When you move into fat adaptation...you're in for a real treat then.

I had bought some apples last week, and when I ate one, it was so sweet it kinda scared me. Scared as in the sense that it might induce sugar cravings. So what I did was find a recipe on the internet to make a chicken salad that has apples, raisins, celery, mayo, and curry powder (one of my favorite spices). It was delicious, and the mayo and savory spice cut the sweetness big time. I actually ate the leftovers this morning!

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you so much for posting this article!  I've been worried that I'm eating too much fruit (I'm 57 and Late-Onset Diabetes runs in my family).  I never eat more than one small apple and one small banana per day, and I've been worried that even that might be too much fruit.  Now I'm thinking I should maybe add one more piece per day . . .  Perhaps one piece with each meal is a good idea?

Just don't let fruit push vegetables off your plate during a Whole30, as vegetables tend to be more nutritious than fruit.

For best results, create each meal to follow the recommended meal template of 1-2 palms of protein, 1-3 cups of veggies and a compliant fat. If you're still hungry and want to add a fruit to those meals, go for it. The recommendation, if you're going to have fruit, is 1-2 fist-sized servings daily. You might have more than that daily amount when more fruits are in season.

Thank you so much for posting this article!  I've been worried that I'm eating too much fruit (I'm 57 and Late-Onset Diabetes runs in my family).  I never eat more than one small apple and one small banana per day, and I've been worried that even that might be too much fruit.  Now I'm thinking I should maybe add one more piece per day . . .  Perhaps one piece with each meal is a good idea?

No.  No, that is not necessarily a "good idea".

You DO realize that "Forks Over Knives" is a plant-based diet, right?

From their site:

{shudder}

"A whole-food, plant-based diet is centered on whole, unrefined, or minimally refined plants. It’s a diet based on fruits, vegetables, tubers, whole grains, and legumes; and it excludes or minimizes meat (including chicken and fish), dairy products, and eggs"

You DO realize that "Forks Over Knives" is a plant-based diet, right?

From their site:

{shudder}

"A whole-food, plant-based diet is centered on whole, unrefined, or minimally refined plants. It’s a diet based on fruits, vegetables, tubers, whole grains, and legumes; and it excludes or minimizes meat (including chicken and fish), dairy products, and eggs"[/size]

Actually, no, I didn't realize that. But still, did I misread the article? I thought the studies showed that more fruit had an advantageous effect on blood sugar. Did I misunderstand? {feeling stupid}

Actually, no, I didn't realize that. But still, did I misread the article? I thought the studies showed that more fruit had an advantageous effect on blood sugar. Did I misunderstand? {feeling stupid}

Don't feel stupid.  That was not my intention.  My point is that this is an article from a site with clearly different beliefs than the Whole 30.  

Honestly, they lost my attention with the first line:  

We’ve talked before about how the sugar in whole foods (like fruits and vegetables) is necessary and healthy

Sugar is not necessary -- lots of folks out there proving that, daily.  Sugar from fruit?  Definitely not.

We all have to make our own choices regarding fruit consumption.  

I just didn't want you to make the choice to eat MORE -- when you are already thinking of eating LESS -- based on an article that some new person (1 post) decided to pop in here and post -- from Forks Over Knives -- which is a plant-based diet movie / website.

Don't feel stupid.  That was not my intention.  My point is that this is an article from a site with clearly different beliefs than the Whole 30.  

Honestly, they lost my attention with the first line:  

We’ve talked before about how the sugar in whole foods (like fruits and vegetables) is necessary and healthy

Sugar is not necessary -- lots of folks out there proving that, daily.  Sugar from fruit?  Definitely not.

We all have to make our own choices regarding fruit consumption.  

I just didn't want you to make the choice to eat MORE -- when you are already thinking of eating LESS -- based on an article that some new person (1 post) decided to pop in here and post -- from Forks Over Knives -- which is a plant-based diet movie / website.

There are so many food fads.  Brewer, you probably remember the one where you supposed to eat all of this fruit in the morning on an empty stomach.  Food combining.  That has to be the worst advice you could ever give someone who's trying to overcome diabetes.  The science behind that is error.

I rarely eat my two fruits aday but I've been working on a bunch of sugar avoidance over these past 15 months.   I stick to berries after a meal.  

Brewer5, I think I get it.  I won't add more fruit, but I don't think I'll cut back any more either.  (And I'll quit feeling guilty when I do eat two fruits.)  A few months ago, I started eating a banana with a little almond butter before my yoga class (class is at 5:30 and lunch is at 1:00).  By adding that little snack before yoga, i found I didn't "fade out" in the middle of the practice, and it seemed to reduce the muscle cramps I would sometimes get in my feet during the class.  I'm sure this snack isn't totally Whole30 compliant (by virtue of being a "snack"), but I've been reluctant to give it up because I feel I get so much benefit from it during my practice.  I've been feeling guilty about it -- maybe I can lose the guilt?

Brewer5, I think I get it. I won't add more fruit, but I don't think I'll cut back any more either. (And I'll quit feeling guilty when I do eat two fruits.) A few months ago, I started eating a banana with a little almond butter before my yoga class (class is at 5:30 and lunch is at 1:00). By adding that little snack before yoga, i found I didn't "fade out" in the middle of the practice, and it seemed to reduce the muscle cramps I would sometimes get in my feet during the class. I'm sure this snack isn't totally Whole30 compliant (by virtue of being a "snack"), but I've been reluctant to give it up because I feel I get so much benefit from it during my practice. I've been feeling guilty about it -- maybe I can lose the guilt?

The recommended pre workout meal is protein and fat, no fruit. So, in that scenario, I'd drop the banana and swap in a protein instead.

ETA: then I'd add a template based meal 1 after your yoga class, so you don't have more than a 5 hour span between meal 1 and lunch.

• Moderators

Brewer5, I think I get it.  I won't add more fruit, but I don't think I'll cut back any more either.  (And I'll quit feeling guilty when I do eat two fruits.)  A few months ago, I started eating a banana with a little almond butter before my yoga class (class is at 5:30 and lunch is at 1:00).  By adding that little snack before yoga, i found I didn't "fade out" in the middle of the practice, and it seemed to reduce the muscle cramps I would sometimes get in my feet during the class.  I'm sure this snack isn't totally Whole30 compliant (by virtue of being a "snack"), but I've been reluctant to give it up because I feel I get so much benefit from it during my practice.  I've been feeling guilty about it -- maybe I can lose the guilt?

You should never feel guilty about what you choose to eat. If you had a day where you ate nothing but bananas and almond butter all day (or for that matter, nothing but donuts* all day), you still shouldn't feel guilty. I'm not recommending that, I'm just saying if it happened, don't beat yourself up about it. 

You might want to read this article.

*Obviously, donuts are not Whole30 compliant. Just thought I should go ahead and state the obvious, just in case.

Answer this question for me honestly, and you will know the answer to your OWN questions.  :)

Were you searching the forum for "fruit"?  Is that how you came across this post from almost 2 weeks ago?

I have a feeling you know the rules of the Whole 30.  You know that a snack of sugar+fat is not a part of the program.  Banana & almond butter -- for the purposes of a Whole 30 -- are sugar+fat.  

This is not recommended.  Is it compliant?  Sure, it is.  Is your goal to be compliant?

Or do you have other goals... say... weight loss?  Becoming a fat burner instead of a sugar burner?  Feeling better overall?  Having more stable energy and moods?  Balancing hormones?  Conquering those nagging health issues?

If your goals include any of the above -- a snack of banana and almond butter will not do much to help you achieve those goals.  Should you feel guilty?  I don't know.  Only you can answer that.  Are you undermining your own goals?  You are only TRULY accountable to one person -- you.

The recommended pre workout meal is protein and fat, no fruit. So, in that scenario, I'd drop the banana and swap in a protein instead.

ETA: then I'd add a template based meal 1 after your yoga class, so you don't have more than a 5 hour span between meal 1 and lunch.

I'm trying to think what else I could eat en route to class . . .  maybe a hard-boiled egg and some mayo?  Or maybe an epic bar?  Any suggestions?

I'm trying to think what else I could eat en route to class . . .  maybe a hard-boiled egg and some mayo?  Or maybe an epic bar?  Any suggestions?

Hard boiled egg is perfect (yolk counts as fat).

Epic bars and any other bars are emergency food only on a Whole30 (e.g., stuck in crazy traffic for hours, increasing your standard time between meals).

Answer this question for me honestly, and you will know the answer to your OWN questions.   :)

Were you searching the forum for "fruit"?  Is that how you came across this post from almost 2 weeks ago?

I have a feeling you know the rules of the Whole 30.  You know that a snack of sugar+fat is not a part of the program.  Banana & almond butter -- for the purposes of a Whole 30 -- are sugar+fat.  

This is not recommended.  Is it compliant?  Sure, it is.  Is your goal to be compliant?

Actually, no, I wasn't searching the forum for fruit.  This is my first time on the forum and I was just going through previous posts and thought the article on fruit was interesting.  And no, I'm not doing the Whole30 just to be compliant.  And prior to the Whole30, about the ONLY fruit I ever ate was that one banana prior to yoga.  And the decision to add a little almond butter to the banana was that I thought the fat would slow down the metabolization of the sugar in the fruit.  I am not a scientist here.  I'm just doing the best I can.

Why did I start the Whole30?  Tons of reasons actually.  Worry about getting diabetes is one.  Certainly I need to lose weight.  I realized my snacking was getting out-of-control in the evening hours (probably because I was staying up too late and I was lonely) and I was eating too much sugar.  Since I started the Whole30, I no longer crave sugar or sweets of any kind, NOT EVEN FRUIT or chocolate.  I don't have that 3:00 pm slump.  I'm eating lots more vegetables and enjoying them more (they definitely taste better with fat).  I know I've lost weight AND fat.  I'm doing FAIRLY well with eating only three meals a day and no snacks.  Have I been perfect?  NO! Have I made huge strides in the right direction? YES!!!   Are there still areas I need to work on?  YES!  Which is part of the reason I plan to continue my Whole30 for at least another 30 days.  My relationship with food is MUCH healthier now, but I know I still have work to do.  I'm still not doing well with eating breakfast within one hour of waking.  I'm still not getting enough sleep (although my sleep quality is much better -- I have no idea why, but I used to have to get up once or twice during the night to go pee and I don't have to do that anymore -- no clue why that is, but yay).  I'm still not exercising enough (I know I need more than yoga three times a week).  And my bad banana has enabled me to get through a whole yoga practice and have energy to spare (meaning enough energy to drive home and actually COOK dinner) instead of feeling exhausted half way through the practice and stopping and picking up crap restaurant food on the way home.  Honestly, I don't know why I even started this diet.  I never thought I could do this.  Have I ever stuck with a diet for 30 days?  No.  I am a horrible dieter, so horrible that what's the use in even trying, and the few times I have tried to diet in the past may have resulted in a few pounds lost, but invariable, my fat percentage on the scale actually went UP, even while I was losing weight.  But somehow, here I am on Day 28 and, except for my stupid cheating banana, I've done really well!  So I guess you're right.  I can answer my own question.  Should I feel guilty?  NO!  I've done really well and made what I think are some lasting changes in my life.  And the journey isn't over yet.

Actually, no, I wasn't searching the forum for fruit.  This is my first time on the forum and I was just going through previous posts and thought the article on fruit was interesting.  And no, I'm not doing the Whole30 just to be compliant.  And prior to the Whole30, about the ONLY fruit I ever ate was that one banana prior to yoga.  And the decision to add a little almond butter to the banana was that I thought the fat would slow down the metabolization of the sugar in the fruit.  I am not a scientist here.  I'm just doing the best I can.

Why did I start the Whole30?  Tons of reasons actually.  Worry about getting diabetes is one.  Certainly I need to lose weight.  I realized my snacking was getting out-of-control in the evening hours (probably because I was staying up too late and I was lonely) and I was eating too much sugar.  Since I started the Whole30, I no longer crave sugar or sweets of any kind, NOT EVEN FRUIT or chocolate.  I don't have that 3:00 pm slump.  I'm eating lots more vegetables and enjoying them more (they definitely taste better with fat).  I know I've lost weight AND fat.  I'm doing FAIRLY well with eating only three meals a day and no snacks.  Have I been perfect?  NO! Have I made huge strides in the right direction? YES!!!   Are there still areas I need to work on?  YES!  Which is part of the reason I plan to continue my Whole30 for at least another 30 days.  My relationship with food is MUCH healthier now, but I know I still have work to do.  I'm still not doing well with eating breakfast within one hour of waking.  I'm still not getting enough sleep (although my sleep quality is much better -- I have no idea why, but I used to have to get up once or twice during the night to go pee and I don't have to do that anymore -- no clue why that is, but yay).  I'm still not exercising enough (I know I need more than yoga three times a week).  And my bad banana has enabled me to get through a whole yoga practice and have energy to spare (meaning enough energy to drive home and actually COOK dinner) instead of feeling exhausted half way through the practice and stopping and picking up crap restaurant food on the way home.  Honestly, I don't know why I even started this diet.  I never thought I could do this.  Have I ever stuck with a diet for 30 days?  No.  I am a horrible dieter, so horrible that what's the use in even trying, and the few times I have tried to diet in the past may have resulted in a few pounds lost, but invariable, my fat percentage on the scale actually went UP, even while I was losing weight.  But somehow, here I am on Day 28 and, except for my stupid cheating banana, I've done really well!  So I guess you're right.  I can answer my own question.  Should I feel guilty?  NO!  I've done really well and made what I think are some lasting changes in my life.  And the journey isn't over yet.

This is an awesome post, and just exactly what I meant.  :)

I don't think you've had a "bad banana" or a "stupid cheating banana" -- and it doesn't matter what any of us think, anyway.

The only thing I don't like about this post is how down you are on yourself about "dieting".  The Whole 30 way of eating really isn't meant to be a diet -- it's a lifestyle change -- and many people continue on and on and on.  Many people extend their Whole 30's or do several before they feel like they don't need it anymore.  Some people continue to do a few per year.  I'd say everyone learns things about themselves and can apply it for future success.  Whether they do another "official" Whole 30 or not.

I am so glad to hear you on Day 28 and proud of yourself for how far you've come -- and looking forward to the journey ahead.  

And glad I could help you answer that question of "guilt".  Let it go, sister!  It's a banana!   ;)

I mean, Shannon up here ^ is advocating donuts............  Hahaha, just messing with you, Shannon!

Archived