kelleyhain

BTW my wife NY2LA2Montreal and I the one purchase made a few years ago that we recommend is the FOOD SAVER. Especially when buying meat, chicken, pork. We buy a lot and then portion out and vacuum seal the portion so we don't have to defrost a big package. Also, you can prepare meals put them on a paper plate, cover with a paper plate and vacuum seal and freeze - and VOILA when you need a meal and didn't have time - just nuke it for a minute to warm up. JUST SHARING.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi everyone, my name is Doug, i'm 42.  This will be my third whole30.  I really enjoy this way of eating and can see myself going well beyond 30 days this time.

I am obsessed with fitness.  Running, lifting, biking, golfing, I love it all.  I'm on week 8 of marathon training for my first full marathon, so I am running a lot of miles.  It's a little harder without the quick carbs, but my body has adapted and I have learned to slow down during my training runs.  Incorporating a super clean way of eating just makes sense to me.  

I look forward to keeping up with everyone's journey.  Enjoy!

Hi! I am doing my first Whole 30. I started on Monday too but we are well into Tuesday here in Singapore. My husband is doing it too which is great for keeping on track. Sadly my five year old will require a lot of separate food (she is not a fan of sweet potato for example) which means I seem to be doing food prep from dawn till dusk!

I am 41 and have a good chunk of weight to lose so I am hoping as well as feeling better that it may shift some excess weight. I got a bit of a shock when I hopped on the scales before I started.

Hi everyone.... I am the other 1/4 of Mr Studio City (he's 6'7") :o  I love this thread and everyone's similar issues.  Today is Day 6 for us and my biggest excitement is not craving sugar (but this is only Day 6) and my knees hurt less and less.  Getting out of a chair is easier without going OOOOOOOOOOOOOOh and asking for WD40 :rolleyes: .

We are still getting our sea legs about the prepping of food.  But each meal it gets easier.  Like my husband said -- one of the greatest investments we made (years ago) was a food saver.  Went to Costco the other day and bought AAA 5 lbs of ground beef, 2 rib steaks, 8 smaller steaks and 4 other steaks.  Came home separated the ground beef into 1 lb packages,  sealed 2 steaks at a time.  It makes it so easy. 

But right now I am nursing a bronchial infection and the med is very strong and I am very tired and need to rest.  Meds should be done next Sat and hopefully I will be back to 100% and then I am going to make meals and freeze.  Leftovers help a lot, but just knowing I can go to the freezer will be a greater help.

What I love most about this program...is this forum -- sharing is the best support.

Thanks so much for sharing.

I'm on my Day 3. Can't believe I made it through 2 full days without any detox headache. I'm still feeling pretty good today too. I sure hope that means my diet wasn't as dirty as I thought.

The biggest change for me is losing the grains and sugars. The only thing I've really been craving is my Crystal Light. I'll have to get an infuser and have some flavored water that way.

So glad to see so many people off to a great start!

sandy

It has been so great to read everyone's story and how so many of us struggle with similar issues. Having a support system has always been so helpful for me! 

Mr. studio city and wife where did you find your foodsaver? my husband and I were in bed bath and beyond over the weekend and they didn't have one. We have been interested in purchasing one! 

Kombucha is a tricky one. When you read the ingredients, sugar used during the first fermentation IS allowed during your Whole 30 b/c it gets eaten up during that fermantation process. In that case the ingredients will read kombucha (tea, sugar).  If they use sugar during the 2nd fermentation to sweeten the end productt it will be listed outside of that parend (so like kombucha tea, blueberries, ginger, sugar, etc.)

Most varieties of GT's are compliant and I know quite a few others are as well.  You may also want to consider brewing your own. there's a sticky thread down in the recipes section that can teach you how. It's way cheaper and a lot of fun!

JenX Thank you for this information! The kombucha i bought is the one I always buy and it did have organic cane sugar after tea in parenthesis like you mentioned and then organic hibiscus and lime during 2nd fermentation. I opted to not drink it though! Ill look at the GT brand next time i go into the grocery store! 

Day one was a success-- I was a bit tired in the late afternoon though.

Another question, Are you guys working out in addition? 

Hi Sandy why not just cut up some lemon or orange slices or maybe throw some mint leaves or whatever can put some healthy taste in the water.....Cold fresh plain water is the best

Disregard the fruit after being informed........never too late to learn on this site......thanks

Hi Kelley....good luck going forward.

Mr. studio city and wife where did you find your foodsaver? my husband and I were in bed bath and beyond over the weekend and they didn't have one. We have been interested in purchasing one!

ANSWER ...when we lived in Los Angeles we bought it at Costco.....it's available everywhere and also the replacement bags...variable sizes.

Also look into having Sauerkraut as an alternate to kombucha as it is another Fermented food just read the label....no sugar added or Korean Kimchi.......hot stuff.....the spice will make your body work on the metabolism

home this helps

• Administrators

If anyone wants to buddy up one on one for daily support, please let me know.  Accountability is so important to me.  I listened to a podcast about Whole30 this morning and it said that some people have even buddied up and made a deal that if either one of them slipped, they BOTH started over.  I would be willing to adhere to that if anyone is game.

I have not heard that before but it sounds like an amazing accountability tool!

Hey everyone,
I just woke up and it's (only) day 3, I'm definitely feeling crappy. I feel like all I can think about is food and I've had that since day 1. I really really have the mind-set where I'm thinking I might not actually last 30 days. I am REALLY missing my Starbucks sugary drinks, more than I thought I would... I don't want to be a debbie-downer... Everyone else seems to be doing well!! 

Hi Honu are you eating enough per meal that you feel satisfied. Do you include a fruit in your eating to quench your sugar

fix. Try adding maybe mint to water to alter the taste....just sharing

Forget about the fruit ....I was informed not a good suggestion.....sorry about that.....thanks site for the proper info

Thank you CindySue I will check them out!!

Honu- I am on day three as well and I definitely feel the "hangover" that day two and three bring. Last night I was sitting in class and I was literally trying to keep myself awake! if you are reading or have read the book these feelings are completely normal. Press on, remember the reasons why you started, and know that this too shall pass! 

Hey everyone!  Just started on 8/15!  My name is Jason.  38, married dad to 4 kiddos under 10. :o   My wife and I are doing the Whole30 for our first time.  So far so good.  Looking forward to reading about tips/tricks and people's experience in general.

I found the biggest struggle so far to be the on-the-go times that are unavoidable with activities.  I'll get home from work and literally change and be back out the door on our way to one sport or another.  Has anyone encountered this on-the-go predicament?  

I also work in the city so food prep has been key.  I slacked on bringing food today and found myself making great decisions at the local deli.  I haven't missed my morning sweet and creamy caffeine either...which is totally a surprise.

See you around!

Hi Honu are you eating enough per meal that you feel satisfied. Do you include a fruit in your eating to quench your sugar

fix. Try adding maybe mint to water to alter the taste....just sharing

I'd not recommend feeding a sugar craving with sugar as this is only keeping the sugar dragon alive and prolonging the misery.

In the early days some starchy veg will help with the transition from the old diet to the new, along with at leat a half an ounce of water per pound of body weight - so if you weigh 150lbs you need to drink at least 75oz water, daily.

If you're craving sugar eat fat.

Thank you CindySue I will check them out!!

Honu- I am on day three as well and I definitely feel the "hangover" that day two and three bring. Last night I was sitting in class and I was literally trying to keep myself awake! if you are reading or have read the book these feelings are completely normal. Press on, remember the reasons why you started, and know that this too shall pass! 

Ensure you're including a fist sized serving of starchy veg daily, and maybe leave it (& any fruit if you're opring to eat any) until meal 2 or 3. Many suffer from an afternoon slump when they take starchy carbs or fruit in the morning as it's known to spike blood sugars. and many report better sleep when they leave it until later in the day.

Also make sure you're salting your food & drinking enough water!

Day 3 for me and I finally have an appetite.  Weirdest thing as not-being-hungry has never been my problem.  I did read to not drink coffee before I ate in the morning and that is helping, too.

This morning I made Paleo Zuppa Toscana soup and it feels good to have a a few days of lunch waiting.  It's delicious, too.  I made the sausage using ground pork and seasonings as mentioned in The Whole30 book.  Yum.

I can do this.

Hello everyone!  I started on Monday as well.  I've done a Whole30 once before two years ago but didn't follow the reintroduction program AT ALL.  I felt great while on it though.

I'll admit I generally don't feel "bad" nor do I have any health issues.  But I started this round of Whole30 because I knew my eating was going by the wayside again.  Way too much sugar/grains/etc. that I don't want to be eating!  I've also been hitting a slump with weight/inches in general.

I'm working out consistently (every weekday morning I drag myself out of bed at 5am and do an hour of workout videos...right now it is T25 Beta and CIZE).  I was eating fairly decent...nothing out of the ordinary for me.  But I was actually gaining weight and not losing any inches.  Frustrating.  So here I am to see if it really is what I'm eating.

Feeling decent so far.  The last two days I have had that feeling of almost pressure or fullness behind my eyes that I tend to get when I eat a lot of sugar...maybe it is just the sugar leaving my body? :)  Nothing I can't manage though.  Day 2 waking up was rough but I'm feeling better today.

Live and learn......that's why there are a great bunch of people on this forum ....so my understanding is more vegetables and a lot less fruit.......correct?????

For best results, design each meal to fit the recommended meal template of 1-2 palms of protein, 1-3 cups of veggies and a compliant fat. 

Fruit is optional on a Whole30. If you're going to have it, the recommendation is 1-2 servings per day, where a serving is a fist-sized amount. Have it with your main meals only, and don't let fruit push vegetables off your plate (as veggies tend to have more nutrients than fruit).

How are you all doing with cravings?  I find it amazing that on Day 6, I have yet to have any cravings for the things I used to go bonkers on...creamy, sweet coffee, a good IPA, a handful (or 6) of the kids twizzlers.  Something must not be right here... :huh:

Archived