kelleyhain

yesterday was the first day I have worked out since my wedding (7/18/15) and it was also the first time in a looong time I worked out without pre workout. I know preworkout is so bad, I vow to never use that junk again!! I will say my workout was tough to finish, but I did it. This morning is day 4 and i switched up my breakfast and I am glad I did. It was yummy! 1 red potato, diced green bell pepper, diced onion, two egg white and 1 whole egg. It was delish! Cravings aren't horrible, but they are there. Mind over matter

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How are you all doing with cravings?  I find it amazing that on Day 6, I have yet to have any cravings for the things I used to go bonkers on...creamy, sweet coffee, a good IPA, a handful (or 6) of the kids twizzlers.  Something must not be right here... :huh:

Today is the beginning of Day 8, my husband and I have yet to have any cravings for the stuff we used to love (crackers, cheese, hummus, ezekiel bread and for me licorice) no cravings.  We are finding the food satiating.  My husband had 2 diabetic meds removed -- how's that for amazing; and me...my knees are not hurting (no more screaming for WD40 :lol:)

But I found myself a little irritable, I can blame it on being sick with a bronchial infection, but I think it is more from sugar withdrawal.  So on Day 8 we are not experiencing it and hope not to...so SOMETHING MUST BE RIGHT HERE. ^_^

Good Luck and let's keep checking in. 

yesterday was the first day I have worked out since my wedding (7/18/15) and it was also the first time in a looong time I worked out without pre workout. I know preworkout is so bad, I vow to never use that junk again!! I will say my workout was tough to finish, but I did it. This morning is day 4 and i switched up my breakfast and I am glad I did. It was yummy! 1 red potato, diced green bell pepper, diced onion, two egg white and 1 whole egg. It was delish! Cravings aren't horrible, but they are there. Mind over matter

Just curious: why not eat 3 whole eggs? When eggs are your protein, the serving size is the number of whole eggs you can hold in one hand without dropping them. For most folks: that's 3-4 eggs.

Did you have a fat at breakfast?

I'm confused by your preworkout comment. When did you eat your breakfast relative to waking up and working out?

I know for me, I wake up at 5am to work out.  I used to take a pre-workout (C4...stuff is like crack!) and then go workout.  No food beforehand.  Definitely kept me buzzing through the workout and then some!

I'm not doing anything now and I can tell in my energy level.  I'm going to boil some eggs and try to have a hard boiled egg and some berries or something before hand just to get things moving.

I know for me, I wake up at 5am to work out.  I used to take a pre-workout (C4...stuff is like crack!) and then go workout.  No food beforehand.  Definitely kept me buzzing through the workout and then some!

I'm not doing anything now and I can tell in my energy level.  I'm going to boil some eggs and try to have a hard boiled egg and some berries or something before hand just to get things moving.

Avoid the fruits pre WO and stick to protein & fat - your hard boiled egg should be good, or you could try some chicken with mayo/olives etc.

For postWO the recommendation is for protein & starchy carbs - again no fruit.

Hope this helps.

• Administrators

Thank you!  I did read that and forgot.  Cool, I'll just do an egg then.  Easier to eat quickly.

My postWO/breakfast is eggs and sweet potatoes so I'm good there!  I add coconut oil to the eggs and ghee to the potatoes.  Yum!

The post workout meal is the one place you want to avoid fat.  Use that coconut oil and ghee for your breakfast later on.  And if you are going to use eggs as post workout, just use the whites.

Just curious: why not eat 3 whole eggs? When eggs are your protein, the serving size is the number of whole eggs you can hold in one hand without dropping them. For most folks: that's 3-4 eggs.

Did you have a fat at breakfast?

I'm confused by your preworkout comment. When did you eat your breakfast relative to waking up and working out?

GFChris- I used coconut oil to cook my breakfast and also used it in my coffee. I will try adding more fats in. still learning I will use more whole eggs from now on.

As far as the prework out comment I was referring to using c4 cellucor pre workout that i used to use to complete workouts. 

The post workout meal is the one place you want to avoid fat.  Use that coconut oil and ghee for your breakfast later on.  And if you are going to use eggs as post workout, just use the whites.

Oy - hurting my head LOL.  OK...so I wake up at 5am.  I eat a hard boiled egg and go work out for an hour.  Then I should have just some egg whites (what can I cook them in so they don't stick to the pan more than anything LOL) and my sweet potatoes with no ghee?  I need to go back and read my book about what exactly I should be eating LOL.  My trouble is that I go down for breakfast right about 7.  Have to  be out the door to get my kid to school at 7:15.  Back at 7:30.  Have to be upstairs to work at 8.  My workout usually ends around 6:45 but I take a quick shower before eating.

I feel like it is more difficult to get in the pre/post workout meals when it is so darn early and close to breakfast...

GFChris- I used coconut oil to cook my breakfast and also used it in my coffee. I will try adding more fats in. still learning I will use more whole eggs from now on.

As far as the prework out comment I was referring to using c4 cellucor pre workout that i used to use to complete workouts. 

Kelley - I do love my C4!  I stare at it lovingly every morning at 5am hahaha.

• Administrators

Oy - hurting my head LOL.  OK...so I wake up at 5am.  I eat a hard boiled egg and go work out for an hour.  Then I should have just some egg whites (what can I cook them in so they don't stick to the pan more than anything LOL) and my sweet potatoes with no ghee?  I need to go back and read my book about what exactly I should be eating LOL.  My trouble is that I go down for breakfast right about 7.  Have to  be out the door to get my kid to school at 7:15.  Back at 7:30.  Have to be upstairs to work at 8.  My workout usually ends around 6:45 but I take a quick shower before eating.

I feel like it is more difficult to get in the pre/post workout meals when it is so darn early and close to breakfast...

Oh, that is close to breakfast.  I take it you work from home? Can you take your breakfast and eat upstairs at 8 when you get to your desk? Failing that, yes, just eat your regular template breakfast (including the fat) after your workout. This isn't meant to be super difficult....it's just a "best practice" recommendation.  If it doesn't work in your reality, do what does work.  :)

• Administrators

Yes I do work from home and yes I can take it up with me and eat at my desk.  I'll try that!  What would you recommend as a smaller post workout meal just to tide me over until I have my breakfast an hour later?

I would probably have a couple bites of chicken breast or the egg whites from two hard boiled eggs and a couple bites of sweet potato or roasted carrot.  It doesn't have to be a lot.  :)

Hi. Day 4 is going great. A little tired this morning but cravings are generally in check. I do miss my glass of wine in the evening though....

I made a 1/2 dozen hard boiled eggs yesterday. So easy and satisfying to grab one when you are feeling hungry.

Loving my iced coffee (dark roast) in the morning. Big salad w/ chicken for lunch and a handful of nuts and dried fruit for a snack. I know what your thinking but i plan to stick it out for 30 days and occasionally enjoy a little dried fruit.

Pork chop for dinner. Yum!

• Administrators

Big salad w/ chicken for lunch and a handful of nuts and dried fruit for a snack. I know what your thinking but i plan to stick it out for 30 days and occasionally enjoy a little dried fruit.

Hey Cindysue,  dried fruit is fine on Whole30 and you are free to do as you choose.  May I be so bold as to recommend that if you are going to have it, do so with your main meal.  Dried fruit is a pretty heavy sugar load and to have it between meals on its own or with nuts is going to hit your blood sugar a little harder than you might expect. You may also notice tiredness, false hunger or late day cravings on days when you have it so keep your eye out for that.  Finally, it could also keep alive any sugar dragon issues you have.  

Dried fruits are delicious in moderation, just be careful when you're having them.....and make sure they aren't a response to a sugar craving.  :)

Im glad to say I have made it to day 5! Haha!
How is everyone feeling? I am definitely still having a lot of cravings!

Anything you've eaten that was easy, delicious, and worth sharing? I just need some more food inspiration.

Thanks everyone!! :)

I'm not having any cravings but I was a fairly clean eater beforehand (minus those damn new Oreo Thins that kept sneaking their way into the pantry...now if they were there now, I'd have serious issues).  Anyhow...

Hmmm...I haven't gone too crazy with food yet.  I did make up some Paleo Chocolate Chili that I've been eating all week.  Sometimes by itself with sliced avocado over it, sometimes over spaghetti squash "noodles".

Oh I made some turkey sausage yesterday too...I put a bit too much cayenne but other than that, it tastes just like regular breakfast sausage.  I was impressed!

@Honu: I read a blog somewhere (Nom Nom Paleo, maybe?) about stuff to have on hand to make it easier to throw a Whole30 meal together quickly, and the list included canned tuna, olives, artichoke hearts, roasted red peppers...so right now I'm having a salad with tuna, artichoke hearts, olives and and egg chopped up in it. Makes the salad seem more interesting and substantial, and adds some different texture. So that was helpful. Someone said they were sick of oil & vinegar dressing, and someone suggested adding a chopped egg, which really helps add richness. So that worked for me, too. Granted, I'm only on day four...but I'm feeling good and confident that I can finish!

Hi ItsMeMeg...

Welcome to WHOLE 30. 

I am feeling great...My husband and I started 9 days ago and WOW, he was taken off 2 diabetic meds and my knees aren't hurting.  Being the sugarholic I was 9 days ago....I am not craving sugar.  Go figure.

The forum is a great place to get support.  Many of us post a food log.  It's great!  People see what you are eating...you get ideas from other logs and if you aren't doing something you should -- there is always someone here for support.  The Moderators are fantastic.

FYI, I lived in Studio City for 30 years before moving to Montreal.

Good Luck!!!!!

Im glad to say I have made it to day 5! Haha!

How is everyone feeling? I am definitely still having a lot of cravings!

Anything you've eaten that was easy, delicious, and worth sharing? I just need some more food inspiration.

Thanks everyone!! :)

Hey Honu- Last night I made some cilantro lime cauliflower rice and it was delicious and super easy!!

1- head cauliflower

1 tbsp coconut oil

1/2 small onion

1 clove garlic chopped

1 lime -juice and zest

1/4 cup cilantro chopped

sea salt to taste

I'm not having any cravings but I was a fairly clean eater beforehand (minus those damn new Oreo Thins that kept sneaking their way into the pantry...now if they were there now, I'd have serious issues).  Anyhow...

Hmmm...I haven't gone too crazy with food yet.  I did make up some Paleo Chocolate Chili that I've been eating all week.  Sometimes by itself with sliced avocado over it, sometimes over spaghetti squash "noodles".

Oh I made some turkey sausage yesterday too...I put a bit too much cayenne but other than that, it tastes just like regular breakfast sausage.  I was impressed!

You just inspired me to make Paleo Chocolate Chili....I was going to make something else with the ground beef, but after looking at that recipe...it's what we are having.  Thanks for the inspiration.

You just inspired me to make Paleo Chocolate Chili....I was going to make something else with the ground beef, but after looking at that recipe...it's what we are having.  Thanks for the inspiration.

Awesome!  It's really good!  I've had it every day this week and I still have 3 servings left!  I'm not allowing anyone else in the family to eat it LOL.  All mine darn it!

Archived