Would this work...

macysknits

I found a recipe that I'd like to try and make Whole30 compliant.  It is crock pot chicken on a bed of bell peppers and onions. The sauce for the chicken calls for soy sauce and peanut butter.  Could I switch out the soy for coconut aminos and use sunflower butter or almond butter for the peanut butter?  Do you think there would still be enough salty/sweet contrast to taste ok? Any reason to select sun flower over almond or vice versa? I'm planning to eat this with zucchini "noodles"

Thanks all! 

The sunflower seed butter will only turn green if cooked with an alkaline such as baking soda. I've never had it turn green in a savoury application.

I like using sunflower seed butter, it isn't as sweet as almond butter.

Thanks to all who responded. Just wanted to say the recipe turned out really tasty!  This is the recipe I adapted: http://www.familyfreshmeals.com/2014/04/crockpot-thai-peanut-chicken-recipe.html

I used almond butter instead of peanut butter. Coconut aminos with a little extra salt instead of soy and fruit juice instead of the honey.  It didn't turn out very pretty but it is really tasty.  

• 3 weeks later...

Archived