Fruit during exercise??

MaryMoe

I know you're supposed to get some good protein prior to working out, but what about during a long run/ride? I'm training for a half marathon, cross training with cycling and some weight lifting, and I want to keep to the spirit of the Whole30 when I run my half (my whole30 ends tomorrow, run is end of November). I used to take gummy worms on long runs (10+ miles) and I'm wondering if dried fruit would be a good alternative to goo, pretzels, and/or other quick carby snacks. Any ideas? Thanks in advance! 

• Moderators

I set a personal record in my fourth marathon when I ate two bananas during the second half of the race. After that good experience, I started doing my long runs with a banana in my fanny pack. The problem with fruit is that the fiber can be challenging to the stomach. Some Whole30 runners like to eat baby food or sweet potato during runs. 

If you google "Whole30 running" you will find links to lots of ideas. 

I make my own gel out of boiled sweet potato, unsweetened applesauce, a bit of coconut milk or coconut water to thin, and sea salt for additional electrolytes. Put it in one of my water bottles and start taking sips off it after the 5 or 6 mile mark. Works well for me and tastes great!

On my 15 miler this week I took baby food sweet potatoes (ate half) and 1/3 of a banana it worked great, since it's my first week of Whole30 my legs did feel heavy, which as I've been ready is totally normal at first. I ALWAYS have had severe GI issues on long runs and this is the first thing that has worked for me. I actually don't think moving forward I'll need to fuel during anything under 2 hours with the amount of protein and fat prior to a long run, but we will see how it goes

• 2 weeks later...

On my long run Sunday I took 1/3 of a Lara bar. I knew I hadn't fueled enough the few days before and would need something. My stomach does fine with nuts and dried fruit running. Compliant trail mix or a bite of a Lara bar works better for me than any processed guu. Even before Whole30 I was experimenting with whole food fueling during long runs, I found it much easier on my stomach.

In the past I have used dates, but I found them too hard to chew and they got stuck in my teeth. Plus the high fiber content slows their carbohydrate absorption so they're really not doing you as much good as you might think mid-run. I've had good experiences with the baby food pouches. I try to find ones that are just banana.

• 3 weeks later...

I just want to share something I discovered recently: I am not sure which blog I found these on, but Ezsqueezees are reusable food pouches that allow you to make your own portable concoctions for your long run, ride or hike. Using these pouches, the sky is the limit for compliant fuel choices! They are small, easy to fill and easy to clean. I am still figuring out which food pairings I like the most and what works best for my energy levels. That will be a process. But I love being able create my own fuel. And...sometimes the kids like them too :)

http://www.ezsqueezees.com/products/ezsqueezees-3-pack

• 2 weeks later...

I just had a mixed experience with dried fruit during a race. I'm currently doing my first Whole 30, and I was on day 26 for the race, a half-marathon. 

I'm used to taking a gel about 45 minutes into this kind of race, so I thought I would try to replace that with some Whole-30 compliant dried strawberries. I brought a small bag, and about 45 minutes in, ate two of them... and could barely swallow. Minor stomach cramps followed, so I didn't eat any more. 

I did NOT have a pre-race meal, instead relying on just a banana and a 16oz cup of coffee, so that may have contributed more than the dried fruit, or maybe the combination just didn't sit right in a jostled stomach.

Either way, my first Whole 30 race was a success -- I got my PR in my 11th half marathon, six years after my now-second-best time!

Thanks JenX for the suggestion of making your own gel - I'll give your recipe a try!

I don't run much anymore these days but the only fruit I could have in my system while running was banana. My track coach used to tell me off if I didn't bring my bananas to meets! I've experimented with dried fruits and other fresh fruit before, but they definitely upset my stomach once I start pounding out the miles. I find it really hard to control my dried fruit portions too, so for me its easier to just forgo it altogether. 

That being said, I had an apple with breakfast preWO today and man, I just had zero energy. Need more protein and fats for sure. 

Archived