Figuring out Meal 1 timing

PallasAthena

Today is day 1 of my Whole30, and I ran into a bit of a problem. I wake very early in the mornings (5 am), but I usually don't eat until 8:30 because of getting my family ready and fed. This hasn't been such a problem in the past because I usually put sweetened vanilla almond milk in my coffee which cuts it a bit and gives me a sugar boost. (I know, I know.) 

This morning, without that, I found myself shaky and feeling a bit hypoglycemic. I thought about having a banana or something with my coffee, but does that kind of defeat the idea of breaking the sugary habit? 

I don't want to eat right when I get up because my lunch and dinner times are at regular times and a very, very early breakfast would leave me shaky and sick at work before breakfast. 

Any ideas on what I can do to get over this hump in the mornings?

Despite not wanting to eat upon waking this is actually the best solution and what we recommend you do. For best results we recommend eating meal 1 within an hour of waking. If you compose this meal properly you probably can get 6 hours on it no problem. I regularly do even with a workout thrown in between my first 2 meals.

If that really doesn't work for you perhaps a mini meal within waking and a full meal when you normally eat meal 1 would work better. Have a couple of hard boiled eggs for example. Having a banana with your coffee is just going to prolong your slaying of the sugar dragon. If you just want to do coffee you can try a Whole30 version of bulletproof coffee using ghee and coconut oil but I wouldn't really recommend this as the best solution.

I like the idea of the hard boiled egg. I will give it a shot. My stomach is often a bit queasy in the mornings, so eggs don't always sit well. I think part of what threw me off was the caffeine ratio in my coffee. I usually do a 3:1 ratio of decaf to caffeinated coffee, and it was slightly off this morning. I think drinking it black didn't give me that cushion and it just went straight into me. So I'm going to cut back on the caffeine and add in the egg.

Honestly, in looking at the egg post pinned to the top, I should be eating more than the 2 eggs I had in my egg cup muffin thingies. So a 3rd egg will be good.

• Moderators

Part of the reason you're queasy in the mornings is because your hormones are probably out of whack... if you eat within an hour of waking, within just a few days you'll start to notice that not only are you hungry, but you're hungry for savory things you never would have been before.

As far as the eggs go, for your meal, you want to eat the full template amount... don't take your 'early am mini meal' into consideration when you're building your actual meal.  You should be eating as many eggs as you can hold in your hand without dropping at the main am meal (or a combination of egg and other protein AND the mini meal if necessary.

Nuts aren't a meal. That's a snack. You should eat a meal. Protein, fat, veggies. The veggies was the hardest part to wrap my brain around for breakfast.

You're shaky because your blood sugar is out of wack. Eating will stabilize you (for hours and hours). I was resistant to eating when I got up as well, but I can't even describe the difference it makes to my whole day, my mood, my outlook, and my productivity.

Food first thing made me queezy too. Turns out it was the foods that I was thinking of as breakfast that were the culprit. When I switched to just food, any food that smelled ok enough to get down, it was fine. A lot of folks suggest blander food for the first meal for this reason. I definitely had to force the issue with myself for a couple days. Now some days I wake up hungry and ready to eat, which is kinda nice actually.

I had a handful of soaked walnuts this morning and it did help. But is that a no-no?

Yeah, as Zyriel has said nuts are not a meal. You need protein, fat & veggies. Nobody says you have to eat eggs in the morning. Anything you can eat for lunch or dinner you can eat for breakfast too. Maybe try a blended soup with a side of some roasted chicken, or try something a little sweeter like chicken korma... But whatever you do you need to find something you can eat that will satiate you for 4-5hrs.

Apart from eating within an hour of wakening you could do the following to help get your hormones back into whack:

Go outdoors for 10-15mins on wakening

Spend 10-15mins outdoors at the same time every day.

Spend as much of your free time outdoors as possible.

No screen time for an hour or so before bed.

No blue light in your bedroom

Black out blinds in your bedroom - or an eye mask

In the meantime, prepare a template meal every morning & eat of it what you can, ensuring you eat a little of each food group, then pack up the rest of it to eat as soon as you feel able.... Eventually your appetite will increase & you'll be surprised at how much you can put away...

Nuts aren't a meal. That's a snack. You should eat a meal. Protein, fat, veggies. The veggies was the hardest part to wrap my brain around for breakfast.

You're shaky because your blood sugar is out of wack. Eating will stabilize you (for hours and hours). I was resistant to eating when I got up as well, but I can't even describe the difference it makes to my whole day, my mood, my outlook, and my productivity.

Food first thing made me queezy too. Turns out it was the foods that I was thinking of as breakfast that were the culprit. When I switched to just food, any food that smelled ok enough to get down, it was fine. A lot of folks suggest blander food for the first meal for this reason. I definitely had to force the issue with myself for a couple days. Now some days I wake up hungry and ready to eat, which is kinda nice actually.

This is a really good sign  :)

• 2 weeks later...

How important that breakfast be within an hour of getting up and not, say, 90 minutes or 2 hours like on a slow weekend morning or after working out first thing (eating even just an egg before morning workouts doesn't agree with me)? Is that something that might vary from person to person, or just a basic way hormones work?

How important that breakfast be within an hour of getting up and not, say, 90 minutes or 2 hours like on a slow weekend morning or after working out first thing (eating even just an egg before morning workouts doesn't agree with me)? Is that something that might vary from person to person, or just a basic way hormones work?

For optimal hormonal balance, we recommend having the first meal within an hour of waking.

If an egg doesn't agree with you, experiment with other animal proteins. Start with pre workout meal or smaller meal, and work your way around the plate.

Archived