To Good to Be true - Spray

AllAndroid247

So my wife says I shouldn't use this and I say its OK. I understand that Canola Oil is approved but is it in limited terms.

I am using Winona Pure Popcorn Butter Spray.(Top of some of my Veggies)

Ingredients listed: canola oil,Natural Glavor, Annato (color)

So am I being a Bad Boy??????

First question, why wouldn't you just use some ghee instead of butter flavored oil?

Second, if you're using this for cooking rather than as a butter flavor, have you considered just getting a mister and using your own oil? That's what I do. Like one of these: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Dgarden&field-keywords=oil+mister

Canola oil is on the permitted list to make eating out possible. It's not a healthy oil though and you're advised not to use it at home where you have all the other options.

Canola oil is approved for using outside of the home only.

Apart from that the fact that the words 'popcorn butter' are in the name of the product & it's marketed as 'Movie Night Done Right' rings alarm bells to me that it is highly processed regardless of the natural flavourings, and a far cry form the Whole foods that Whole30 encourages you to eat.

There are MUCH healthier options out there.

Canola oil is approved for using outside of the home only.

Apart from that the fact that the words 'popcorn butter' are in the name of the product & it's marketed as 'Movie Night Done Right' rings alarm bells to me that it is highly processed regardless of the natural flavourings, and a far cry form the Whole foods that Whole30 encourages you to eat.

There are MUCH healthier options out there.

I am using this at work. Our kitchen is a microwave and a sink!. I am using steam bags of veggies and then lightly spraying the veggies for some flaver besides salt. Is work Outside the home?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!!!

• Administrators

Get a Misto (or other brand) for around $15 and fill it with avocado oil or olive oil.  Or just bring a bottle of ghee or oil to work and leave it in your desk drawer and do a drizzle. Or bring a seasoning mix like Ras el Hanout or Greek Seasoning to put on them after cooking and then have olives or avocado for your added fat?

Honestly anything is going to be a step above this technically compliant food spray.  And if you are going to do all the work of the Whole30, wouldn't you rather embrace the spirit instead of just being technically compliant? 

• Moderators

Hmm... I personally wouldn't use that, but it's 'technically' compliant.  Do you live somewhere that there's a gourmet food store?  There are amazing flavors of sea salt now that you could try using to give your food more flavor.  Or pack some other spices to sprinkle on your steamed veggies... perhaps Magic Mushroom Dust from nomnompaleo or the jerk seasoning from Wellfed?  There are quite a few great spice blends you can make yourself and keep in your lunch bag in a shaker that add a huge volume of flavor and interest to your food without resorting to a 'butter spray'.

Get a Misto (or other brand) for around $15 and fill it with avocado oil or olive oil.  Or just bring a bottle of ghee or oil to work and leave it in your desk drawer and do a drizzle. Or bring a seasoning mix like Ras el Hanout or Greek Seasoning to put on them after cooking and then have olives or avocado for your added fat?

Honestly anything is going to be a step above this technically compliant food spray.  And if you are going to do all the work of the Whole30, wouldn't you rather embrace the spirit instead of just being technically compliant? 

I believe I am. Day 15, accidentally got a small amount of three bites of veggies at a restaurant so I am starting over. I have really have lived and breathed this thing. That's why I was asking. I have  been meaning to try the Magic mushroom Dust. 

Instead of buying a sprayer and oil, how about coconut oil spray? 

Thank you for everyones help. I now have to go tell my wife that once again, she was right!!!!

• Moderators

Coconut spray usually has soy in it... there has been much discussion on the forum about it and no one has found a compliant one.  But why not just some coconut oil in a small jar? scoop a bit onto the veg and mix around and then dust with spices... no spray required.

I am using this at work. Our kitchen is a microwave and a sink!. I am using steam bags of veggies and then lightly spraying the veggies for some flaver besides salt. Is work Outside the home?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!!!

Home made mayo!

Or olive oil drizzled over the top....

Keep it simple! (And anything to avoid the canola...!!)

There was a sauce with your three bites of Veggies that caused you a reset?

They had added butter on the veggies. I had told them earlier about any dairy or sugar on the steak but they didn't think about the vegetables. It wasn't very much and it took me about the bites before I realized the butter flavor. So on day 15, I started over. 

Archived