Ketosis and whole 30

Kaypentz

Sorry I don't know where exactly to post this question so I did it here. I wanted to know about ketosis a couple weeks ago I started eating whole30 way and I lost 5 lbs my doc told me to get in to ketosis state so I did and my bowls are once a week I've been super ornery and I haven't lost anything unless I guess I'm eating to much protein so it's turning it in to glucose but I can't figure out what to do if I should trying digging more in to ketosis until I get the hang of it or just simply do the whole 30.

The whole30 isn't designed to get you into ketosis and we don't recommend ketosis for most people. Try doing the whole30 as recommended first*. After you have completed one you will be in a better place to experiment with these kinds of tweaks.

*this means: 3 meals each day that fit the meal template, no weighing or measuring (your body or your food), a fist-size serving of starchy veggies at least once per day.

HI, new here-on day 4 of the W30, and wondered about the ketosis-did Atkins and I remember it well-sort of have the same "breath ambience" that I remember with that.  After perusing the various posts I may not be eating enough, but have a question about the meal planner.  The protein and fat are pretty clear....but are you really supposed to add ALL those fats to each meal or is that the list to chose from?  I can't imagine eating a handful of coconut/1/2 of an avacado, AND coconut milk-nuts and seeds and olives with each meal!?!  I have the whole30 book, and the sample menus in there didn't look anything like that.

I also am having terrible blood sugar swings-I stopped eating all fruit-that has helped but I really thought I was going to pass out yesterday.  Snacking; 8-9 pistachio's help, but having a tough time.  Before I did the whole 30 I usually ate 2 meals a day and didn't have a problem with the blood sugar swings.  THANKS for your help

Meals: (have been eating pretty much the same thing each day-I work 12h shifts 5 days a week and don't have time to cook a variety)

Breakfast: 3 eggs/spinach/1/2 large sweet potato cooked in clarified butter (1tbsp)

Lunch: Avacado/Sweet potato-tablesoon of butter, ham (smoked/not cured/no sugar)

Cabbage pot: Cabbage/onions/stewed tomatoes/ground beef/turkey (browned) mushrooms/olives

1/2 cup blueberries with coconut creme (2 tbsp)

HI, new here-on day 4 of the W30, and wondered about the ketosis-did Atkins and I remember it well-sort of have the same "breath ambience" that I remember with that.  After perusing the various posts I may not be eating enough, but have a question about the meal planner.  The protein and fat are pretty clear....but are you really supposed to add ALL those fats to each meal or is that the list to chose from?  I can't imagine eating a handful of coconut/1/2 of an avacado, AND coconut milk-nuts and seeds and olives with each meal!?!  I have the whole30 book, and the sample menus in there didn't look anything like that.

I also am having terrible blood sugar swings-I stopped eating all fruit-that has helped but I really thought I was going to pass out yesterday.  Snacking; 8-9 pistachio's help, but having a tough time.  Before I did the whole 30 I usually ate 2 meals a day and didn't have a problem with the blood sugar swings.  THANKS for your help

Meals: (have been eating pretty much the same thing each day-I work 12h shifts 5 days a week and don't have time to cook a variety)

Breakfast: 3 eggs/spinach/1/2 large sweet potato cooked in clarified butter (1tbsp)

Lunch: Avacado/Sweet potato-tablesoon of butter, ham (smoked/not cured/no sugar)

Cabbage pot: Cabbage/onions/stewed tomatoes/ground beef/turkey (browned) mushrooms/olives

1/2 cup blueberries with coconut creme (2 tbsp)

The list of fats is what you can choose from although I often have two fat sources in my meal because a lot of the fat you cook with stays in the pan, I discount the fat in the yolk of an egg, and I like the taste of it...

Your meals look a little light to me, and if you're having blood sugar issues then I'd definitely say to go heavier on fat & protein. The sweet potato you should maybe cut back to once a day too. Switch it up for more green veg - kale, cabbage, broccoli, swiss chard, zucchini etc.

Unless I'm eating 4 eggs I tend to have an additional protein as it holds me over for longer, you could maybe try the same. Spinach, unless you had a bucketful, doesn't really amount to much once it's cooked/chewed so I'd add some more veg, and I'd add maybe half an avocado, some mayo or some olives too.

How much ham did you eat in relation to your palm? How much avocado?

With a one pot meal it's often difficult to get enough protein so make sure you're having a HUGE serving. With soup for instance I eat two bowls (& a protein on the side if I'm not able to stand my spoon upright in the bowl!)

If you must snack (from genuine hunger rather than boredom) make it a snack/mini meal comprised of at least two of the three food groups - protein, veg & fat. Nuts are going to be hard on your digestive system if you eat them more often than once every few days, so maybe opt for a hard boiled egg, or some chicken & mayo instead.

In short - eat more - more fat & protein, less starchy carbs, more greens.

The list of fats is what you can choose from although I often have two fat sources in my meal because a lot of the fat you cook with stays in the pan, I discount the fat in the yolk of an egg, and I like the taste of it...

*Thanks for the clarification on that...I didn't think eating that much fat in one sitting was humanly possible

Your meals look a little light to me, and if you're having blood sugar issues then I'd definitely say to go heavier on fat & protein. The sweet potato you should maybe cut back to once a day too. Switch it up for more green veg - kale, cabbage, broccoli, swiss chard, zucchini etc.

* OK will take out the sweet potato-this gets really hard to try and find things for breakfast that go well with eggs.  I'm thinking eggs will be my main-stay but somehow nothing other than the spinach even sort of sounds good....

Unless I'm eating 4 eggs I tend to have an additional protein as it holds me over for longer, you could maybe try the same. Spinach, unless you had a bucketful, doesn't really amount to much once it's cooked/chewed so I'd add some more veg, and I'd add maybe half an avocado, some mayo or some olives too.

* OK can try that.....mayo/spinach and eggs, if I eat more avacado's I'm going to turn green :).  Is there a concern for to much salt on this diet??  Olives are loaded and I find myself using lots of salt on everything.

* About a palm size, I reversed the meals yesterday ate the Cabbage Pot for lunch salad for dinner this am I am so shaky i can't hardly relpy to this post.  I Have always had a problem with being hypoglycemic so I conciously stay away from sugar, but really feel awful.  I have birthed 2 babies and survived breast cancer and honestly-this IS harder.

With a one pot meal it's often difficult to get enough protein so make sure you're having a HUGE serving. With soup for instance I eat two bowls (& a protein on the side if I'm not able to stand my spoon upright in the bowl!)

If you must snack (from genuine hunger rather than boredom) make it a snack/mini meal comprised of at least two of the three food groups - protein, veg & fat. Nuts are going to be hard on your digestive system if you eat them more often than once every few days, so maybe opt for a hard boiled egg, or some chicken & mayo instead.

* I am not hungry at all-I just feel like my blood sugar is low- I did check it this AM and it was 60-not optimal for sure, and explains why I feel so awful.  Do I just keep my big-girl-panties on and muscle through this???  I frankly am afraid to drive.  If you have these kind of responses to no sugar-even though I don't eat lots of sugar at all in my normal diet how long does it take to muscle through it?

*OK will do

Thanks for your help

*Thanks for the clarification on that...I didn't think eating that much fat in one sitting was humanly possible

* OK will take out the sweet potato-this gets really hard to try and find things for breakfast that go well with eggs.  I'm thinking eggs will be my main-stay but somehow nothing other than the spinach even sort of sounds good....

* OK can try that.....mayo/spinach and eggs, if I eat more avacado's I'm going to turn green :).  Is there a concern for to much salt on this diet??  Olives are loaded and I find myself using lots of salt on everything.

* About a palm size, I reversed the meals yesterday ate the Cabbage Pot for lunch salad for dinner this am I am so shaky i can't hardly relpy to this post.  I Have always had a problem with being hypoglycemic so I conciously stay away from sugar, but really feel awful.  I have birthed 2 babies and survived breast cancer and honestly-this IS harder.

* I am not hungry at all-I just feel like my blood sugar is low- I did check it this AM and it was 60-not optimal for sure, and explains why I feel so awful.  Do I just keep my big-girl-panties on and muscle through this???  I frankly am afraid to drive.  If you have these kind of responses to no sugar-even though I don't eat lots of sugar at all in my normal diet how long does it take to muscle through it?

*OK will do

Thanks for your help

Ok, veg that work well with eggs - tomatoes, mushrooms, sauteed cabbage/spinach/kale, onions, peppers, sauerkraut are the ones I always go for.

The recommendation for protein is 1-2 palm sized pieces, but remember that these are minimums - go for two palm sized pieces.

Don't panic about salting too much - you will be eating considerably less salt than you would have been previously just by eating whole foods and we would recommend that you salt every meal.

Just re-reading your first message about the pistachios helping with how you've been feeling - I definitely think more fat will help....

Be sure to drink at least half an ounce of water per pound of body weight too.

Keep us posted on how you go... And if you really do turn green you know the rules - pics or it didn't happen!  :P

*OK will do

Thanks for your help

OK so here's my update.......  I have had to eliminate anything that is even remotely carbohydrate.  I have increased protein/fat/veggies, but I ate about 1 tablespoon of sweet potato last night an I feel absolutely wretched today.  If I compare the "allowed" carb levels on Atkins I am acutally eating less than 20gms  on this diet.  Will say this (whole30) is a much better balance of nutrition than Atkins, but if I am to survive the 30 days ANY carbs will be a great big NO-NO.  Is going into keytosis going to be a problem?  I don't know how to do this and survive other than not eating any carbs....any suggestions- I would rather push through and not eat carbs as I think part of my weight problems is snacking (although I thought I was eating realitively healthy things; cheese, nut butters, nuts, fruits in small amounts) but now not thinking that was a good thing, and I was clearly eating out of "hypoglycemia" symptoms.  I can say that if I stay away from carbs I am not hungry at all-have to remember to eat.  Thoughts???  THANKS!

OK so here's my update.......  I have had to eliminate anything that is even remotely carbohydrate.  I have increased protein/fat/veggies, but I ate about 1 tablespoon of sweet potato last night an I feel absolutely wretched today.  If I compare the "allowed" carb levels on Atkins I am acutally eating less than 20gms  on this diet.  Will say this (whole30) is a much better balance of nutrition than Atkins, but if I am to survive the 30 days ANY carbs will be a great big NO-NO.  Is going into keytosis going to be a problem?  I don't know how to do this and survive other than not eating any carbs....any suggestions- I would rather push through and not eat carbs as I think part of my weight problems is snacking (although I thought I was eating realitively healthy things; cheese, nut butters, nuts, fruits in small amounts) but now not thinking that was a good thing, and I was clearly eating out of "hypoglycemia" symptoms.  I can say that if I stay away from carbs I am not hungry at all-have to remember to eat.  Thoughts???  THANKS!

Going into ketosis is not going to be a problem.  I have been there, done that.  A few of us here have actually done a "keto Whole 30" -- although this was just our own thing we decided to do, not endorsed by any of the Whole 30 crew.  :)

The official stance is that you "need" starchy vegetables daily -- but as you can see from your own situation, if you feel better without them...  Well, what makes sense here?  I mean, come on.

Sweet potatoes make me feel like crap, too, and no one here could convince me to eat them.  Yes, you can do a Whole 30 without fruit or starchy vegetables.  Yes, your blood sugar will be more steady without them.  If that's what works for you and you feel good -- go for it!  Really, all anyone wants here is for you to feel your best.  

Archived