Started 9/6/2015 and am so nervous.

TriciaC

I joined this Sunday instead of on a Monday because I could not wait to get started. I am 53 years old with several illnesses. It seems the older I get, I keep adding another allegry to my list. A few years ago I was diagnoised with fibromyalgia and asthma. I also have stomach issues, which no doctor seems to understand. I have been on every diet ever imagined and lost/gained, but was starving. In fact, I started on a popular diet with ready-made meals and gained weight. I followed it strictly and by the time evening would come around I could have bitten my boyfriend's head off and possibly cooked it for dinner because I was cranky and hungry.  I was to the point of giving up because of the pain and frustration. One day a few weeks ago I was eating my prepackaged meal while observing another fellow teacher eating meat with a huge salad and fruit. I thought "What's up with that". She looked so healthy and slim. I finally asked her if it was her metabalism that enabled her to eat so much.  She said, "I have no Idea; I just eat real food." She also said she had no idea what she weighed and did not care. This lovely lady also mentioned a whole eating program that is not a diet. I just about flipped and began to mumble to old Atkins thing. She set me straight and so I began to research it.  I am amazed about how much I lacked in understanding "food". I pride myself on my education, but in the area of food, I was ignorant. I am so grateful for getting "schooled" and am excited about my new life. It is early I know, but I have so much hope and am enjoying cooking again.  The only question I have is "I feel as though I am eating a bunch of food, and I feel guilty for eating fat?" "Is this normal?" Thank you for reading my story. 

It's a little bit confusing at first - at least I know it was for me to go out of my way eating fats like lard, avocados, coconut oil, etc but they're good fats and are important if you want to be able to eat three full meals a days without snacking in between.   Have you read any of the books? I read "It Starts With Food" and it was an awesome read because it listed all the reasons why you should and shouldn't eat certain things.   As long as your following the portion guide: http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-meal-planning.pdfyou should not feel guilty. :)  When I first started my husband was looking at me strangely because while I was eating my plate full of mixed salad, 3 eggs, sweet potatoes, and 1/2 avocado he was eating his bowl of cereal. lol  Now he's eating like me.

I am reading it now. I also bought the Whole30 book. I am following the guide, but, for instance, last night I made the spagetti squash and ground beef. It was a recipe for two. I could not finish my portion. I ate the rest for breakfast. Today I ate my protein salad for lunch, and am going to cook the chicken for tonight.

You may find that initially having resricted calories in the past that you struggle to eat a template meal. What we suggest is that you serve up a full meal and eat as much of it as you can, making sure to eat a little of each food group (protein, fats & veggies), and the pack up the rest of the meal to eat as soon as you feel able... Your appetite will soon increase and you'll be surprised at how much food you can put away.

Your aim is to eat meals that keep you satiated for 4-5hrs without the need for snacks.

I joined this Sunday instead of on a Monday because I could not wait to get started. I am 53 years old with several illnesses. It seems the older I get, I keep adding another allegry to my list. A few years ago I was diagnoised with fibromyalgia and asthma. I also have stomach issues, which no doctor seems to understand. I have been on every diet ever imagined and lost/gained, but was starving. In fact, I started on a popular diet with ready-made meals and gained weight. I followed it strictly and by the time evening would come around I could have bitten my boyfriend's head off and possibly cooked it for dinner because I was cranky and hungry.  I was to the point of giving up because of the pain and frustration. One day a few weeks ago I was eating my prepackaged meal while observing another fellow teacher eating meat with a huge salad and fruit. I thought "What's up with that". She looked so healthy and slim. I finally asked her if it was her metabalism that enabled her to eat so much.  She said, "I have no Idea; I just eat real food." She also said she had no idea what she weighed and did not care. This lovely lady also mentioned a whole eating program that is not a diet. I just about flipped and began to mumble to old Atkins thing. She set me straight and so I began to research it.  I am amazed about how much I lacked in understanding "food". I pride myself on my education, but in the area of food, I was ignorant. I am so grateful for getting "schooled" and am excited about my new life. It is early I know, but I have so much hope and am enjoying cooking again.  The only question I have is "I feel as though I am eating a bunch of food, and I feel guilty for eating fat?" "Is this normal?" Thank you for reading my story. 

Don't feel guilty....enjoy....erase all the old tapes about what you thought about food.  My husband and I LOVE the food and fat.  It took a few days and then we embraced it with open arms.  Wait until you make your first batch of MAYONNAISE.  You will feel like you climbed Mt. Everest and will put it on everything.  I hope you get everything you want out of this program. 

This forum is for all of us.  We ask, we share and we support.  You have a great support system.

GOOD LUCK!!!!

The only question I have is "I feel as though I am eating a bunch of food, and I feel guilty for eating fat?" "Is this normal?" 

Yup! Perfectly normal! Especially for us off-and-on again old time dieters. On my first W30 I lost 12 pounds in the month without changing anything but my food intake pattern. And as NY2LA2Montreal says... you are gonna love homemade mayo! I am sure you have heard that certain vitamins are best utilized by your body if taken in conjunction with fat? Just think of that fat that you used to shun giving a warm hug hello to all those vitamins & minerals you will now be eating, and sliding them in to all the spots where they are needed & wanted. It's a love fest!  :) Your body will thank you.

Welcome to the forum!

Tricia, I think a lot of us have shared your feelings. It is so strange to go from the old mindset that you have to eat a very small lowfat breakfast that doesn't satisfy you, to eating a hearty breakfast of sausage, eggs, brussels sprouts in olive oil, and sweet potato. It seems like a lot of food, and it seems like a lot of fat, and it seems like a lot of meat, but I lost 7 pounds and lowered my cholesterol following the templates for 30 days. I think you will love it!

Maybe I am not eating enough. I made two fried eggs with ghee for my breakfast tomorrow, but are you saying I can have more.

Yes, eat more.  :) 

When eggs are your sole protein, the serving size is the number of whole eggs you can hold in one hand without dropping them. For most folks, that's 3-4 eggs.

For best results, design each of your meals to fit the recommended meal template of protein, veg and fat, such that they satiate you for 4-5 hours.

So add 1-3 cups of veggies to those eggs at your first meal.  ;)

• Administrators

Maybe I am not eating enough. I made two fried eggs with ghee for my breakfast tomorrow, but are you saying I can have more.

For every meal of the day, Tricia, you want it to match the template (linked below).  1-2 palms of protein (or as many whole eggs as you can hold in your hand without dropping; at least 3-4), 1-3 cups of veggies (2 is good, 3 is optimal) and an added fat.  Two eggs in ghee is not enough food for an adult human.

Edit: Woops, Chris and I were typing at the same time.  :)

Archived