help- feeling like I can't get a full breath of air

Clover337

Hi, 

So I completed my first whole30 and reintroduction. Things I noticed with reintro:

legumes- stomach cramps after each meal

gf grains- increased anxiety the next day

diary- didn't notice anything besides for a headache after a scoop of ice cream which I figured was the sugar

gluten- foggy brain after if that makes sense

since then I've been keeping to guidelines for meals and such but added in some gf grains and dairy (mainly grassfed butter). yesterday was our anniversary and had a bit of gluten as bread and some sugar has sneaked back in. I'm yawning a lot and feeling like I can't get a full breath in me. I've had this in the past prior to whole30 and never knew what was causing it but didn't experience it during my whole30. Does anyone have any insight on what could be causing it? 

-also started taking a few medications/supplements my naturopath recommended. one to aid digestion has soy in it and one for sleep has xyitol (sp?) 

thank you for reading this and any advice or insight you might have. 

• Moderators

No on here is a doctor, and if you continue to have problems breathing, you might want to consult a professional.

Dairy for some people can cause congestion, which could contribute to feeling like you can't breathe. Or it could be something else, or even the combination of stuff. If you really want to know, you could go back to Whole30 eating for a while until you feel better, then instead of the standard reintroduction, you could pick one thing and have it for several days in a row and see what happens, then go back to Whole30 for several days before picking another thing to reintroduce for a few days. Sometimes things are okay in small amounts occasionally, but can cause problems when you have more of them at a time, or have them more regularly. The standard reintroduction can show you some reactions, but not necessarily those caused by larger amounts of something consumed over more time.

guess I'll go back to whole30 and trial and error I suppose after. when I had this issue prior I have seen doctors about it in the past, no one could ever tell me what it is. since it cleared up during and came back I'm leaning towards diet. I'm not having issues breathing so much as how it feels if that makes sense. I've done asthma tests ect. Most of my health issues are not clear cut which has been frustrating. Thank you for replying.

Anything effecting breathing is a dairy reaction in my experience... with some folk they get an immediate reaction from dairy, but often it can take a build up of it in the system before it starts effecting the mucous glands etc.

I'd do as Shannon suggests and go back to Whole30 until you feel like your new 'normal' then try dairy for a few days.

• 3 weeks later...

I know what this is! I had this for years and finally the correct Google search led me to realize I was hyperventilating. All that's happening is you're getting too much oxygen- hyperventilating- which strangely makes you feel like you're not getting enough air. Yawning is a symptom as well. This can be caused by anxiety. All you have to do is focus on breathing out deeply and slowly, and slowing your in-breaths a bit. The feeling will subside after a few minutes.

hmm that's interesting. I do have an anxiety disorder. I'm doing another whole30 now and haven't had any more issues like that but I've also noticed my anxiety is much more manageable on whole30. If it happens again I'll try what you said thanks!

• Moderators

I went to my standing massage therapy session once and said that I felt like I couldn't get a good breath of air... He knew exactly what it was and managed to fix me righ tup.  I was under a lot of stress at the time and that can cause constriction of the muscles in your upper body... when everything is tight and stressed, it can feel like you can't take a deep breath... maybe that's not your thing but perhaps it's insight...

I've been having this problem for MONTHS!!! First it was just when I exercised, then it started happening all the time. Then I noticed that I was ALWAYS tired and dizzy, and having heart palpitations. Putting all of those symptoms together, I realized that I had low iron! Started supplementing and eating liver, and things are already on the upswing  :)  I'd recommend getting tested, especially if you're having other symptoms.

• 3 weeks later...

I was experiencing this for months about a year ago (not connected to W30). My doctor told me it was generalized anxiety (my heart rate and blood oxygen were both totally fine) and recommended that I cut out caffeine entirely and do cardio 3-4 days a week. I did both those things and I could breathe like a normal human within 2 weeks. Yours may be diet related as opposed to anxiety, but I'd recommend seeing a doc if you haven't already. It's a scary feeling! Good luck to you.

• 1 month later...

So, not being able to get the full breath of air was the reason I did the Whole 30 in the first place. During my Whole 30, I had no problems...so naturally, I assumed it was caused by food. But for the life of me, I could not figure out what the food was that was causing it. I am 100% gluten free and have been for years because of Celiac Disease and am about 98% Dairy free (only on super really amazing special occasions)..so neither of those were the culprit. I had this problem for over a year and it even caused a heart murmer to develop (which my cardiologist said was just a flow murmer and not to be concerned about). When I developed the heart murmer, I figured I at least had to do something about my anxiety and started taking Natural Calm. When I started consistently taking Natural Calm every day (I take 1/2 Tbsp in the morning and 1.5 at night), I noticed that not only had my anxiety had subsided...but the deep breath problem that I had every hour of the day for over a year subsided. I HONESTLY still can't believe that the whole mess was caused but anxiety. My theory on not having it during my Whole 30 is that my anxiety is managed pretty well with the Whole 30 way of eating. But I'll still take Natural Calm even if I'm eating 100% Whole 30. That stuff helps me sleep like I've never slept before...which is also good for anxiety. Hope that helps. 

Archived