When does the magic happen?

So I have attempted the whole30 a couple times. I have restarted due to sneaky ingredients in labels. I also train and do crossfit about 3 days a week minimum. And some running here and there. I am on day 7 and have been eating as healthy as I think I can at this point. When can I expect to start looking and feeling different?

P.S

How can I defeat eating before I go to bed because I know that plays a big part.

Best,

Kevin M.

A cup of herbal tea sometimes calms my evening "munchies". On more than one occasion I've gone to bed with my book ridiculously early just to get away from the urge to snack. For me, the couch/TV can be a big trigger, whereas I almost never feel like eating if I'm in bed with a book. Added bonus: more sleep!

So I have attempted the whole30 a couple times. I have restarted due to sneaky ingredients in labels. I also train and do crossfit about 3 days a week minimum. And some running here and there. I am on day 7 and have been eating as healthy as I think I can at this point. When can I expect to start looking and feeling different?

My changes have been subtle but they did happen. My trainer and I really notice my increased energy level and I am increasing strength more quickly than before. I started running the week before beginning my August Whole30 (almost two months so far) and I am running faster than any other time in my life. Never been too much of a runner, but my speed is picking up and I am already up to 10K distances. I also recover faster from my workouts and rarely get sore even though I am training a bit harder than before. Not longer, just a bit more intense. Nagging lower back pain and wrist pain are gone completely. Improvements are totally due to the dietary changes. No other explanation for it. Plus my trainer and I can tell I am visibly leaner with only a couple lbs lost. My scale at home shows a drop of 2.5% body fat since August 1st.

Good luck and be patient. The results will come! IT'S TOTALLY WORTH IT!

Pick the most boring (but Whole30) meal you can think of. For me, that would be a plain, baked chicken breast and steamed broccoli. Not something you hate, just something you'd only really want to eat if you were very hungry. Ok, that's your night snack. Seriously, ONLY eat that boring thing you picked and commit to it. That way, you're telling your brain you can have food at night, but it's not going to be that great. Sure, if you're starving right before bed, then it will be just fine, but I bet within a couple of days, if you seriously commit to that, you won't be eating a night snack.

Just an idea that would totally work for me. I did it the hard way and just started drinking water. That turned into me just going to bed earlier. Not a bad idea either.

I've attempted/completed with cheats a Whole30 a few times, but August was the first time I did it 100%- all the way through. It is night and day to do it completely right v.s. only doing it most of the way. I started noticing magic half way through, then a little more the last week, and here I am, 45 days out, still eating Whole30, and now I'm seeing the REAL magic. My skin is only just now starting to clear up, for one.

It takes time for your body to adjust to all this. Commit to 30 days and hold your judgments until Day 30. Seriously, it's worth it.

I feel the same way, I'm on day 15, do Crossfit 4 times a week and 2 other days of hockey but this magic energy has not appeared. I still want a nap every afternoon (but can't, so don't) and I don't feel as strong in my workouts. And I can tell I lost weight but it seems to be a little in my stomach and a lot in my chest :(

I don't really feel hungry between meals and feel like I eat a lot and with mixed variety. I really want that magic energy and reduced inflammation, that is why I am doing this :)

Below are my last last two days of meals, any advice?

You can assume most of my food was the best quality I could buy at Wegmans or farmers market… (cage free, grass fed, organic, blah)

Day 14 - Friday, 09-14-12

===========================

8am

2 fish oil

mug of hot tea

24oz water

Avocado in the hole

3 slices bacon

(would have had tomatoes too, if I wasn't out of them)

11am iced tea

24oz water

1pm small handful cashews, banana

2pm

grilled chicken on bed of spinach, roasted butternut squash

24oz water

4pm

24oz water

6:45pm

some jicama and salsa

24oz water

Didn't have dinner cuz I can't eat couple hours before hockey but definitely wasn't hungry since I had the snacks instead.

Activity:

sat on my butt writing software from 8:30am-6pm

6pm walked dogs 30 min

9-10:30pm - hockey

Day 15 - Saturday, 09-15-12

===========================

8am

20 minute dog walk

2 fish oil

Hot tea, 24oz water

Avocado in the hole

2 slices bacon

tomatoes, cucumber

10am Crossfit

24 oz water

12:30pm

Chicken salad with h/m mayo, jicama, celery on bed of kale

Strawberries and blueberries

iced tea

24oz water

2pm kiwi

24 0z water

6pm

Rest of chicken salad on kale

24 0z water

9pm

Steak, asparagus, carrots

24 0z water

Casey,I like what you say

I am on day 30"but havnt lost any weight and although i have noticed I am not as tired in the afternoon ,i still am waiting for the big energy surge

What you wrote has strengthened my resolve to go on for a week.

I made a few mistakes the first week so you could say I have only done 21days not 30 and that may be the reason I havnt noticed any weight loss.

Also I eat too many nuts so for the next week I plan to be extra good

Archived