Timeline off?

WholeMama

With the exception of Day 4, I felt fantastic the first 10-12 days. I'm now on Day 16 and for the last couple of days have felt bloated and very snappy/cranky. Too early for PMS. Even put on a dress I hadn't worn since pre Whole30 and it is not looser.

I am following the template and am not hungry between meals, but workouts are still suffering.

Thoughts? Just wait it out? (I'm not quitting!)

Hi WholeMama

Sorry you're feeling this way... It could be that whilst you are eating compliant foods there is something amongst those that is causing you to bloat. Shooting from the hip I'd list the following:

Cruciferous veg

Raw veg

Raw cruciferous veg - double ouch!!
Nuts/nut butters

Fruit/dried fruit

Seltzer

FODMAPS

If you'd like to list a few days worth of your typical food/liquid intake we can take a look and see if anything jumps out that you could change going forward... Also note activity/stress/sleep levels along with any medical conditions we might need to know about.

Hopefully we can get you sorted soon!

Thank you!

No raw veggies other than lettuce / tomatoes.

Tuesday - hard to recall -

M1 - egg scramble with veggies (peppers) and avocado; coffee with coconut milk

M2: 2 links compliant chicken sausage over greens with butternut squash/chard sauté; Apple with almond butter

M3- 1/4 lb burger, avocado over greens, probably s handful of nuts

Yesterday:

M1: Three eggs scrambled with peppers, a quarter of a potato, and pico and 1/2 an avocado on top. Coffee with coconut milk (x2)

M2: 1/4 lb grassfed burger over a big plate of mixed greens with cherry tomatoes, handful of walnuts, homemade balsamic vinegar; an orange

M3: 1 compliant chicken sausage, asparagus with olive oil and balsamic, and sbout a cup of butternut squash and greens sauté (maybe s little less); small handful of macadamias and cashew

Today:

M1: three eggs fried in ghee, small handful compliant hash browns (less than 1/2 c), large handful peppers, 1/2 avocado: coffee with coconut milk

M2: (not yet eaten): 1 can tuna mixed with homemade mayo, walnuts, 1/2 Apple over greens; other 1/2 Apple with 2 T almond butter

M3: likely chicken burger and asparagus

I have eaten asparagus almost daily for years and it's never bothered me.

I work out daily at 5:30 with either a boot camp or 5-6 mile run. I have been very sleepy early - asleep before 9 pm but often waking up at least once before 5 am wake up call.

Thanks!!

• Administrators

Thank you!

No raw veggies other than lettuce / tomatoes.

Tuesday - hard to recall -

M1 - egg scramble with veggies (peppers) and avocado; coffee with coconut milk

M2: 2 links compliant chicken sausage over greens with butternut squash/chard sauté; Apple with almond butter

M3- 1/4 lb burger, avocado over greens, probably s handful of nuts

Yesterday:

M1: Three eggs scrambled with peppers, a quarter of a potato, and pico and 1/2 an avocado on top. Coffee with coconut milk (x2)

M2: 1/4 lb grassfed burger over a big plate of mixed greens with cherry tomatoes, handful of walnuts, homemade balsamic vinegar; an orange

M3: 1 compliant chicken sausage, asparagus with olive oil and balsamic, and sbout a cup of butternut squash and greens sauté (maybe s little less); small handful of macadamias and cashew

Today:

M1: three eggs fried in ghee, small handful compliant hash browns (less than 1/2 c), large handful peppers, 1/2 avocado: coffee with coconut milk

M2: (not yet eaten): 1 can tuna mixed with homemade mayo, walnuts, 1/2 Apple over greens; other 1/2 Apple with 2 T almond butter

M3: likely chicken burger and asparagus

I have eaten asparagus almost daily for years and it's never bothered me.

I work out daily at 5:30 with either a boot camp or 5-6 mile run. I have been very sleepy early - asleep before 9 pm but often waking up at least once before 5 am wake up call.

Thanks!!

You might consider putting the nuts and nut products aside. 

• Moderators

You don't list any pre- or post-workout meals, but ARE working out. You need extra nourishment when you train. Your meals look like they would be at the low end of the meal template. You definitely need more food to power workouts. I don't notice any starchy veggies. You need at least one fist-size serving of starchy veggies per day to feel decent and more when you are working out. 

I hear you on the nuts... :(

Isn't butternut squash a starchy veg? And hash browns this morning.

For the daily workouts, just coffee before with coconut milk. M1 is immediately after.

On weekends for the long runs I ate eggs before and leftover burger and potato right after, plus more potatoes the night before.

Thank you for your feedback.

• Moderators

Oops. Butternut squash and potato hash browns are starchy veggies. I was reading too fast. But it seems you are eating too little... like 1/4 of a potato in one meal. Bump these veggies up.

It is not okay to replace a post-workout meal with a regular meal. It leaves you in deficit because you need more food when you workout. It is not a big deal to skip a pre-workout meal, but it is a big deal to skip a post-workout meal. If it helps, you could think in terms of you need to eat 4 meals on days you workout. 

• Moderators

Thanks I will up those!

- and I'm not trying to be difficult on the PWO meal, and do it on weekends, but during the week I literally walk straight in from my workout to cooking breakfast. So maybe I have a mini meal a couple hours later?

Post-workout is different than just a mini meal, it's not about hunger, it's about replenishing stuff your body used to workout and needs to have put back. This article has a little more about what to have and why.

Update - bloating is gone and I feel great again! I think I have identified plaintains that I had over last weekend as the culprit! I also reduced nuts and upped starchy carbs, which has helped with everything except long runs over an hour (posted on that separately on the athletes forum - suspect I am still not eating enough the day before).

Thanks for the help! Day 19 and going strong.

Archived